US Brig Syren by Shazmira - Model Shipways - 1:64

Shaz the easiest way to do a waterline is to make a fixture that will hold a pencil or marker at a specific height.  I made one a couple of years go and found it useful for waterlines.  Once the height is set you level the hull and move it around the fixture.  This is the easiest way I know on how to get  straight waterline.

post-227-0-76646400-1448771376_thumb.jpg

post-227-0-14609000-1448771416_thumb.jpg

post-227-0-64773000-1448771436_thumb.jpg

post-227-0-17577000-1448771482_thumb.jpg

David B

David, now that looks really good. I will see what I can build for myself today, Thank you. 

Thanks to you as well Crackers, that one looks like it will require less engineering.

I experimented last night, but could not seem to get my pencil secure to the item I was using to hold it. Going to try today with some clamps to hold it perfectly horizontal

Robbyn

If you risk nothing, you risk everything!

Current builds

Syren (Model Shipways) version 2.0

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

18th Century Longboat designed by Chuck Passaro

In the closet

Battle Station

Al Charles Morgan (1980s version)

Hi Robbyn,

This is the easiest way and it might be easier to work wiht the hull upside down. I gave up too early and used a laser level to show the waterline and marked it by hand every inch or two. I then drew the waterline keeping an eye on symmetry when viewed from below (fish eye veiw). it worked for me but not worth buying a level.

Dave B

Current build: HMS Pegasus, English Pinnace (on hold)

Completed build: MS BluenoseSkippercraft

Hi Robbyn,

nice to see you back and that your syren project is under wind again, also a very nice and neat working place you have.

BTW I noticed that Little whaling ? boat on your desk, is there also a seperate log for that one ?

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Robbyn,

A "poor man's" waterline marker can be made by grabbing a takeaway coffee cup (preferably empty), turning it upside down, then inserting a pencil through one side and out the other at the required height. Then run the coffee cup around the ship. Voila - instant waterline!

Hi Robbyn,

nice to see you back and that your syren project is under wind again, also a very nice and neat working place you have.

BTW I noticed that Little whaling ? boat on your desk, is there also a seperate log for that one ?

Nils

If you mean the boat on the left, with sails, then yes, that is the AL San Francisco build log with a link in my signature. If you are referring to the mystery build to the right, there is not a build log for that one, as I am going off script  with that build and planning to experiment a bit, so I will wait until there is some real progress to post a build log for it 

Robbyn

Current builds

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

In the closet

Battle Station

Grant, now that is absolutely brilliant!, wish I had thought of it, talk about a simple fix!

Robbyn

Current builds

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

In the closet

Battle Station

Well now I'm feeling all left out, where is my invitation to rejoin your build? Don't you remember my waterline marker I used on the schooner, you said you would remember it and use it! The workshop looks brilliant, I love it. As for lighting I would consider LED before buying fluoro. LED has well and truly come of age and the prices have become reasonable.I would suggest cool white for model building.

Sorry Steve, I did forget...it has been much too long! But I figured out a fix. the problem was not the concept of the marker, it was the fact my build board is wide, but not wide enough to run the base of my marker on top of the build board. This meant my pencil was sticking out about 5 inches from my holder and I couldn't get it to remain in the correct horizontal position even using an entire roll of duct tape. So I found a 1/4" thick piece of wood, screwed it to the top of my wood block at the proper height, then laid my pencil on top and attached it to my 1/4" piece to hold it firmly at the proper height. Worked like a dream! 

Robbyn

Current builds

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

In the closet

Battle Station

• 2 weeks later...

Question time, I am working on the stern, specifically the cap rail of the stern. I made the 3 "fashioned" pieces and have bent and formed my cap rail.

post-127-0-44630100-1450054334_thumb.jpg

What I don't understand clearly, and cannot see clearly in pics on build logs, is does the cap rail just sit on top of those "fashioned" pieces? Or do I need to sand the ends down so it is flush to something else there?

post-127-0-69355500-1450054350_thumb.jpg

I know that is not real clear, but neither are the instructions on this particular little detail. I am not quite sure how long the cap rail needs to be, meaning how far down the wales(?) it extends

Robbyn

Current builds

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

In the closet

Battle Station

Robbyn, I hope the 2 added images may answer your question.

Thomas

post-925-0-84877000-1450095416_thumb.jpg

post-925-0-52922200-1450095975_thumb.jpg

Edited by Gahm

Current Built:   Model Shipways  Syren  (US Brig 1803)

Last Built:        Anfora (kit bashed)  Ictineo II  (1st steam powered submarine 1864)

so the cap rail only goes to the top of the first fashioned piece? I thought it covered all three

Robbyn

Current builds

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

In the closet

Battle Station

Robbyn, there are two different layers of fashion pieces.  The first two are filler pieces and the second two cover them and are blended into the mid-wale.  The picture, below, from the manual shows the first layer of fillers.  The lower filler piece is sanded down almost to nothing. The red and green lines that I drew denote the final cap rail and fashion pieces that go over the top of the fillers.  The other pictures show how I tapered the top fashion piece into the wale.  I also found it easier to make the fashion pieces out of one piece of wood instead of two.   Hope that helps.  Good luck.

post-11922-0-32291000-1450187996_thumb.jpg

post-11922-0-40577900-1450188022_thumb.jpgpost-11922-0-56570600-1450188023_thumb.jpg

Sal

Nautical Research Guild

Current

USCG Harriet Lane - Model Shipways

Complete 

U.S. Brig Syren - Model Shipways

New York Pilot Boat 'Phantom' 1868 - Model Shipways

NOw that Makes perfect sense!!!

I had the first set of fashion pieces done, but I need to go back and sand down the bottom one much more. When I tried to put the cap rail over the top of what I have, it is not flush to the wales. Thank you for the additional pic and drawing of the second layer of fashion pieces. Back to the cutting board, I will need to remake mine to get them to lay correctly, thank you!

Robbyn

Current builds

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

In the closet

Battle Station

Robbyn, you're most welcome, glad to help.  The following link shows how I did mine if you'd like to see. http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/8410-us-brig-syren-by-sald-–-model-shipways/?p=285045

Sal

Nautical Research Guild

Current

USCG Harriet Lane - Model Shipways

Complete 

U.S. Brig Syren - Model Shipways

New York Pilot Boat 'Phantom' 1868 - Model Shipways

• 2 weeks later...

it's so good to see your back in the workshop  :)    the hull looks awesome!    for a waterline.....I just use a block of wood with a  'V'  in the top for the pencil.  I have different size blocks,  depending where the line needs to go.   nothing too fancy...and gets the job done  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Hi Robbyn

great job on the Syren  the second time around  I have two questions for you

one where would I get replacement wood these days since hobby mills are out of business

second  what is the dimensions of your building jig thank you

Ronald

Ronald,

Try Crown Timberyard for replacement wood - they are a sponsor of this site and appear to have taken over the mantle from HobbyMill. All reports I've read here have been very positive. Jason (the owner) also appears to be developing an excellent reputation for customer service, just at Jeff at HobbyMill had.

Sorry for butting in Robbyn - back to your build.

Thanks for the advice Grant, I did not who to go to since Jeff retired. I was actually thinking about the same issue, but had put off asking as atm I have everything I ordered prior to Jeff's retirement, so I had not been in need. I am glad to hear Jason has stepped in to fill the need Jeff's absence has made, and glad to hear reviews are favorable.

Ronald, I sent you a pm to answer your question about the jig.

For everyone else, no progress to report. As soon as school was out for Christmas break I had surgery (nothing life threatening) and have been recovering ever since. I have 3 whole days left of break before the new semester begins, and now that I am weaning myself off the pain pills I am hoping I can spend some in the dry dock during those 3 days and then I will have some progress to report.

Robbyn

Current builds

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

In the closet

Battle Station

Do get healthy quickly, Shaz.  Syren's calling and so are probably other things.   I hope it'll be a great year for you two.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Sorry to hear you've been under the knife Robbyn, but glad that you're on the mend now.  I look forward to further updates on your Syren in the near future.  Hope you have a great year.

Glad to hear you are in the mend Robbyn and am looking forward to some updates soon.  Get well quick and have a great 2016.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

• 2 weeks later...

No, I have not dropped dead, but I did take almost a month off to heal from surgery on my foot. Still wearing a lovely boot, and waiting for the incision to heal, but I am up and about and classes have begun for the semester. I have spent the last two weeks fighting with this stupid cap rail....really not sure what the problem was, broke more pieces than I can remember lol. Finally got one I was pleased with then realized the ends were not tapered correctly, so it did not sit up against the wales correctly, so it was back to bending again. Now I have one I can live with. Not perfect, but it will do, just a little touch up left to do, and fix my little decorative pieces that broke off, then I can finally move on.

post-127-0-94502000-1453258223_thumb.jpg

post-127-0-75166700-1453258246_thumb.jpg

Robbyn

Current builds

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

In the closet

Battle Station

Glad one of us is back in the shipyard, keep on keeping on Robbyn she'll be well worth all the little set backs

Looks like your perseverance has paid off there Robbyn. Glad to hear the foot is mending well too.

Hi Robbyn,

It's great to hear that the surgery is over and the foot is healing.  Nice work on the cap rail as that looks to be a tricky piece of work.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)