Batavia by *Hans* - FINISHED

Before going on with the ratlines, my son (future owner of the ship) is not sure if he wants the sails fully out or lowered.

So I mounted one of the sails and tried both:

post-11645-0-26215600-1403028739_thumb.jpgpost-11645-0-07323100-1403028769_thumb.jpg

and lowered:

post-11645-0-48493500-1403028813_thumb.jpgpost-11645-0-51543000-1403028833_thumb.jpg

Because of the fact the sails are done with diluted glue they are a bit too stiff for this...

Hans   

Owner of Kolderstok Models - 17th century Dutch ships.

Please visit www.kolderstok.com for an overview of the model kits available   

• 3 weeks later...

It has been quiet for a while on my Batavia-wharf - simply because I was busy with a rather dull job - the ratlines.

This is finished now, so I can move on with the sails.

Then some more small stuff to do, and the Batavia is almost finished.

post-11645-0-06360500-1405247885_thumb.jpg

Hans   

Very nice job on the ratlines Hans !

Don't forget the yards on the masts .....

You think you are almost finished but nope ......

Keep up the good work 

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

• 2 weeks later...

One step a time will build a ship in a year.

Rigging of the spritsails slowly gets some shape - although I do have some difficulties in finding out where which line has to go. The plans of the Batavia aren't always very clear in this. But with the help of many books and other modellers pictures I will manage.

post-11645-0-68172100-1406228464_thumb.jpg

F.i. the red marked lines in the image - I am puzzling how they go, and where they are belayed.

Hans   

ON the yard, there should be an end of rope with a single block.

After 'returning to the shrould, the rrope is belayed on the gallion (or sometimes shown: a block on the bowsprit, and then on the railing of the

forecatle. I'll check my pic;s of Batavia.

IMG_5142.JPGIMG_5141.JPG

Unfortunatedly, I don't have pics that show where exactly the braces are belayed in the gallion...

Jan

Edited by amateur

Jan,

Yesterday I managed to find out how these lines are belayed, From the forestay they run back to a block on the bowsprit, and from there to the pins on the gallion.

And so I did  :)

Hans   

Nice picture Jan!  And I was planning to make some extra pins the way it can be seen on this picture. :)

Hans   

Found it on the internet a couple of years ago. Has been my desktop-background ever since.

The pic was taken one of the times Batavia was out on the Markermeer to do some sail-trials.

Hence the somewhat strange sailsettings (Mains set without the topsails, normal practice was the other way round)

Jan

• 3 weeks later...

Man surely learns some new English words.

I have fitted the first yard on the foremast, and had to make a parral for this.

I therefore have bought me some 3 mm black beads - carved some small ribs and rigged the whole thing together around the mast.

Mind you, I didn't make the parral first - I started with a line around the yard - then through beats and upper holes of the ribs around the mast - then around the yard and back through beads and ribs - lower holes. Again around the mast - around the yard - through a ring in the yard and back through the parral, adding the last beads. Then through another ring on the yard towards a block, and then fitted on the deck.

pretty job for your eyes :)

post-11645-0-15948800-1408033902_thumb.jpg

Hopefully this image shows what I tried to describe:

post-11645-0-28990400-1408034245_thumb.jpg

Edited by *Hans*

Hans   

• 2 weeks later...

:)Hans;
The Batavia is coming along very beautiful. You are doing an excellent job on this ship and I have been following closely on your built. I love the lines of this ship as well as the colors.

What book/article is the ezelhoofd and rakketalie from? The "rakklootjes", (bottom right)...... :).  Interesting name LOL.
Marc

Current Built: Zeehaen 1639, Dutch Fluit from Dutch explorer Abel J. Tasman

Unofficial motto of the VOC: "God is good, but trade is better"

Many people believe that Captain J. Cook discovered Australia in 1770. They tend to forget that Dutch mariner Willem Janszoon landed on Australia’s northern coast in 1606. Cook never even sighted the coast of Western Australia).

Update!

Two sails of the foremast are in place. I want to make her look like she's just about to anchor. This means the sails are not complete up (or down?), but halfway.

The rigging and the decks are better visible in this way.

post-11645-0-38616800-1409424875_thumb.jpg

Hans   

Hello Hans!

I just found your log and have to say I am sorry I missed the beginning and being able to follow up to this point, but so happy to catch up!  I just bought the book about the Batavia by Peter Fitzimmons and have been very interested in this ship but had no idea she was so good looking too.

Your skills really do her justice though and I can't wait to see the final steps as you bring her to life again.

Hello you Royal Highness Bindy!  :im Not Worthy:  (or should we call you Cleopatra?)

Thank you for your kind words!  It's been a pleasure that you could find some time to visit my humble shipyard here in the Netherlands, thank you, thank you! (Now I have to stand up again because this hurts my back and my knees).

As you may have read the replica of the Batavia which is in Lelystad was made as a project for unemployed to see if they could bring back alive the craftmanship of the Dutch of the 17th century.

I am trying to make the scalemodel as close as possible to this replica - which is not always possible. In fact she is a "normal" 17th century retourschip (which ment sailing to and from the Netherlands - Indonesian Archipel) and was named Batavia because of the horrorstory that happened after the shipwrecking of the original Batavia.

My model is almost finished, and I have some plans in mind to build two other 17th century ships: The Duyfken - afgter the replica in Australia (with thanks to Janos for the plans) and the "Dordrecht" which was the sistership of the Batavia. I do live in Dordrecht in NL - therefore :)

Edited by *Hans*

Hans   

Hello Hans!

I just found your log and have to say I am sorry I missed the beginning and being able to follow up to this point, but so happy to catch up!  I just bought the book about the Batavia by Peter Fitzimmons and have been very interested in this ship but had no idea she was so good looking too.

Your skills really do her justice though and I can't wait to see the final steps as you bring her to life again.

I have a book about the Batavia voyage written by Mike Dash. It's to my opinion a quite "romantic" version of the journey and its horrors.

Hans   

A great model and your build log has provided the chance to see some great conversation on Dutch practice which I know so little about.

Edited by michaelpsutton2

Drown you may, but go you must and your reward shall be a man's pay or a hero's grave

Thank you, thank you!

The 17th century ships where very rich decorated, and this was rather a challenge for me too. Thanks to the modelling clay I could make some nice "carvings"which would otherwise have been a (maybe to) difficult part for me.

The ship is almost finished - two masts to go and some small stuff around her.  Then a nice standard and in the end the flags to decorate her.

I will try to post a few more detailled pictures within the next time.

Hans   

Hans,

I see that you wanna build de Duyfken.

For you and all the others who want to see how the Duyfken looks like ,here are 2 pictures 

(I hope you don't mind that I posted them )

Sjors

post-48-0-05299600-1409943010_thumb.jpg

post-48-0-55379800-1409943014.jpg