USS Constitution by Mundie - Model Shipways

Ok, I just finished a degree at UB- and will have much more time to devote to this ship during the summer/ I just completed both filler blocks; I also purchased a Dremel 3000 Kit- this proved to be a wise investment.

post-11699-0-99837900-1401130535_thumb.jpg

post-11699-0-26724500-1401130705_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mundie

J. Mundie Jr.                        Current Build- Constitution MS 2040

• 3 weeks later...

All the measurements are good and match the drawings! I can't figure out why Hunt wants the 3/8" deck beam in 2 pieces; I did it the way the practicum stated but don't understand why? And I don't know where exactly to but the "stiffener?"

post-11699-0-47424100-1402868422_thumb.jpg

post-11699-0-33870200-1402868475_thumb.jpg

post-11699-0-51774500-1402868517_thumb.jpg

post-11699-0-82108900-1402868559_thumb.jpg

Just a note/ I'm a very inexperienced modeler. I found at times it is easier to use metric rather then

standard measurements when possible. I was also able to upload Hunt's practicum to my smart phone from the disc, so it's much easier to access and there's no need for a PC.

Ok, so I finished the stiffeners and supports for the mast supports. The foremost support was a little tricky. I just used a #22 exacto to trim the middle and taper the center. Now onto the waterway! Any advice?

post-11699-0-47048700-1403008858_thumb.jpg

post-11699-0-57386900-1403008882_thumb.jpg

post-11699-0-84949700-1403008926_thumb.jpg

Nice work Mundie.  I also find it much easier to work in metric.

Congrats also on your degree! :)

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Looking good so far Mundie. For the waterways, I found the sides not too hard to make, but the curved area around the bow was a bit difficult. I cut the waterways for these areas from a larger sheet instead of trying to bend the strips laterally. But, I did  not make them narrow enough and had to file and sand them narrower when they were in place, which was a pain. So, check the width before installing to save yourself a headache later.

• 1 month later...

The starboard and port and stern of the waterway and planksheer was pretty straight forward- just a little beveling- but the bow was a bit tricky/ so I took some advice and instead of cutting the waterway in two pieces I purchased some bass wood stock at my local hobby shop and cut the entire piece using a scroll saw. Glad to get back after a busy summer golfing!

post-11699-0-52630700-1406985902_thumb.jpg

post-11699-0-01938400-1406985923_thumb.jpg

Nice looking bulwarks Mundie. This method has you cutting the gun ports into the bulwarks at some point, probably after the outer planking is done? Would you then add filler pieces in the gaps between the inner and outer planking along the edges of the gun ports?

As far as the poly, some folks here wipe everything down with a coat of wipe on poly, even if they are going to paint those areas. My guess is it helps fill in the surface making it smoother, but I just prime and paint and only use poly on the parts I leave natural or stained. Either way you should be fine.

Thanks Tom- this is my first build and I usually only have a general idea one chapter at a time on what is happening next. I usually am a little lost until I see a visual and then things go pretty smooth. I'm not seeking perfection on this build just a "good enough" build.

You are doing a great job. I am curious to see the differences between the way the practicum has you build and the MS instructions. Either way this will turn out to be a very nice model.

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone tell me if the lettered order on the prints of a ship is the order in which your supposed to build it? I'm using Hunt's practicum but am curious.

Mundie,

I'm confused. Please explain what exactly you mean by "lettered order". The only alphabetical order on my kit is the markings on the bulk-heads. As you are past this stage, I do not think it is this to which you are referring. The plan sheets are ordered numerically (at least, in my kit.)

With early kits (not Model Shipways) which I have done in the past, I would complete as much from Sheet 1 (typically keel and hull framing) as I could, before moving onto Sheet 2 (likely to be planking details). Sheet 3 would detail deck work etc, Sheet 4 would probably detail masts and spars, and Sheet 5 (and 6) would cover rigging.

If this is what you are referring to, then I would say that, largely, you should work in order ... but it's not a hard 'n' fast rule. Just be sure you haven't missed anything before you have moved too much further on. For example, when working on deck work, it would be a good idea to thoroughly check the rigging sheets to make sure that you have fitted all the various cleats, blocks and tackles etc that you will soon be needing before you actually make a start on your rigging.

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

Steve, Thanks for the reply. The prints are numbered/lettered as, 2-A, 2 being page and A being Knightshead. I was just wondering if the letter progression is the manufactuer's suggested  order, in which things should be built?

Mundie, as I am NOT a trained draftsperson, I may be wrong here. So, apologies if the following is incorrect. Someone more qualified may care to wade in here and set me straight !!

From what I can tell, the numbered/lettered sections you are referring to would be separate detail steps that will need to be built and then included on your model.

As Tom says, the ordering method is just how they are drafted on your plans.

What IS important is that none of the steps are missed before you move on. Also, at various stages on your plans, it will read "See Detail 2-x". This is a reference to where those corresponding stages will fit into the overall build. 

Hmmm ... I've just pulled the plans from my own kit-box for a look-over. On the 1998 plans (in the kit I bought Jan 2013), Detail 2-A covers making the Bow Filler Block, not the Knightshead.

Most curious ...

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy