USS Constitution by Mundie - Model Shipways

Mundie,

I'm still yet to glue even two pieces of wood together on my Connie, so am still a loooong way from painting. On the other MS kit which I am currently finishing up, I used Testor's brand paints and thinned them down a degree.

As well as the Testor's, I have four or five different wood-stains. One of these, named Japan Black, I thought would be interesting to use for Connie's exterior ... when the time comes. 

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

Nice job so far Mundie,  came across your Connie log and had to stop in.   The MS Constitution is on my wish list,  would love to build it someday but it is so big I have no idea where to put it.  So until I solve that little dilemna I shall live vicariously through all the MS Connie build logs I can find.

-Adam

Current Builds

Santa Maria - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

MayFlower - Model Shipways (5/32"=1') POB
Blue Shadow - Mamoli Revolutionary War Brigantine. (Fict) (1:64) POB (Recommissioned as the Kara June)

On The Shelf Waiting so Patiently

USRC Ranger - Corel (1:50) POB

18th Century Longboat - Model Shipways (1:4) POF

La Nina - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

U.S Brig Syren - Model Shipways (1:64) POB

Completed Builds

Phantom NY Pilot Boat - Model Shipways (1:96) Solid Hull

Decommissioned Builds
(Time and conditions were not good to these. They have been cancelled =( )

Willie L Bennett - Model Shipways (1:32) POF
USRC Harriet Lane - Model Shipways (1:128) Solid Hull

Started planking and building lower gun ports.I made a small mistake with my measurement, so I had to add a very thin strip directly under the outside planksheer- should work out ok.

post-11699-0-20343300-1411426487_thumb.jpg

post-11699-0-44986300-1411426532_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mundie

J. Mundie Jr.                        Current Build- Constitution MS 2040

Tim, this is my first build; so I would pretty much be completely lost without the practicum- I do at times deviate from it though- once I understand what needs to happen I use my own approach.

Edited by Mundie

• 5 weeks later...

I made a small mistake in measuring the cannon port sills- causing the 1/32 lip that holds the cannon lids in place is a bit off- I'm just going to Fill/sand/ trim where needed and I think it will work out- since this is my first build I'm not going to drive myself crazy over every mistake- as long as it will look 1/2 decent and not cause further problems I'm going to go with what I have!

post-11699-0-92252700-1414589117_thumb.jpg

post-11699-0-25111900-1414589164_thumb.jpg

Great work, Mundie !!!

... and, Hey, don't sweat the minor mistakes.

Let me be the first to admit I made so many mistakes in my own first build that I almost shudder when I think about it !!!

I learned a few lessons on the second build ... made a heap of mistakes on my current build ... not as many (hopefully) on the next (Connie) when I get around to her.

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

Hi Mundie:  

Just thought I'd pop in and check on this Connie build and it looks like she's coming along nicely. On the previous page you asked about which paints to use. Model Expo sells a regular Constitution Paint kit with most of the colors you'll need except stains, varnish, and one or two colors not included in the paint list. At least from what I was able to pick up from my initial check of the plans. Unless of course Bob's Practicum recommends something else that might be better. I won't be using the practicum myself, so I don't know. I have been curious to see which direction he takes you though.

Cheers

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

• 3 weeks later...

Just ran across your Connie build today. You've picked quite a popular ship. I too am among the many who plan on building this model. Presently I working on another of Bob Hunt's Practicum models, The Rattlesnake, my first POF build. I have Bob's practicum for the Connie but have not read it as I won't start my build until I complete this present project (4 1/2 years and counting).

I would like to pass on words of praise and caution on Bob's practicums at least from my experience. As good as his practicums are, Bob is human and even he makes mistakes. I found a number of them in the Rattlesnake practicum. So don't take everything he says as absolute. Dry fit, verify dimensions, check wood choices, etc., and read everybody's build log you can lay your hands on. There is a lot of good ideas and problem solving solutions to be found in those builds.

In my case, Bob was writing the Rattlesnake practicum at the same time he was writing and building 3 others, all with deadlines to meet. I don't know of the pressures he was under if any, when he was writing for the Connie. As a result, in the later chapters I began to notices he was taking short cuts, not giving all the details, etc. In many cases he only built details on one side of the model and didn't even rig the ship but just explained how it was suppose to be done using the kit plan diagrams. All that being said, I could not have built what I have so far without Bob's guidance. I still would recommend to anyone to use his practicums.

I plan to follow your build as I too consider myself a novice even with a partial build under my belt to learn from your successes and mistakes. I also plan to follow the more experienced builders to learn their skills.

Just remember don't rush, take your time, no one is pushing you; it a hobby

Take Care

Jonathan!

Current Build: Model Shipways USS Frigate Constitution

Past Builds:    Bob Hunt's kitbash of the Mamoli Rattlesnake

Model Shipways Typical Ship’s Boat for the Rattlesnake

Mini-Mamoli solid hull British Schooner Evergreen
                         Model Airways Albatros D.Va - 1917, The Red Baron's Forgotten Fighter

​Member: Nautical Research Guild

Jonathan, thank's for the advice. I was completely in the dark about model ship building when I decided to build one. I came across Hunt's "college" by just seaching the web for any infoabout model ship building. I too would have been in the dark without the practicum; and learned that it can be "right on target" and "open for interpretation" simultaneously. I choose to follow the praticum because I feel certain the order in which things are built will allow a "easy flow" of completion. Once I understand what needs to happen on any particular step I use the practicum and look at other Connie build logs; then from there, sometimes I deviate from the practicum if I see an alternate way. I'm still pretty much in the framing stage, so far so good. I just want to avoid "big" mistakes.   I'm aware there seems to be some type of "battle" going on with Bob Hunt and other hobbiest; I have no opinion or wish to include myself in such things. I've talked to Bob a few times and he was nothing but helpful. When I was using his forum, he was the only one who responded to my questions, especially when I was "in the dark." So, I felt I was becoming "needy." I then found this forum in which many of my questions are answered just by veiwing other build logs. I hope to pick up the pace this winter and move forward on my Connie. Mundie

Just came across this log. The Constitution is one of my all time favorite ships. Looking good so far !

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

Well I finished the stern planking and began the deck mast bracing and coaming frame work. I think my measurements on the main mast frame are a tad off but everything should work out.

post-11699-0-42357300-1417378711_thumb.jpg

post-11699-0-40460900-1417378795_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having a problem making the coamings for the hatch grating. I can't find the 1/32"×1/16" and 1/32"×3/32" pieces to create the 1/32"×5/32". I'm a little confused about this.Any help at all would be greatly appreciated by anyone who has made these!

At least in my kit there is 1/32"×1/16" and 1/32"×3/32" strips. I just checked. You better contact Modelexpo-online if you are really sure you don't have them.

Markku

Current build:

MS - USS Constitution 1:76

Previous builds:

Corel - Flattie 1:25
AL - Mare Nostrum 1:35
Revell - Dom Fernando II e Gloria 1:200

Revell - USS Enterprise 1:720

Trumpeter - USS California 1:700

So I deviated from the practicum on this coaming hatch because I could not get the "lock and grove" method to look good. This isn't perfect but it's good enough. The pictures are self explanatory for what I did. I used a sharp X acto blade to get clean cuts and used the line on the cutting mat to get the correct 45° angle; then trimmed here and there for a good fit. A little wood putty helped fine tune a few tiny gaps. I generally would like to stay away from putty- I kinda think it looks a bit more authentic just leaving the wood as is, but a little here and there won't hurt.

post-11699-0-39550800-1418607400_thumb.jpg

post-11699-0-69192900-1418607425_thumb.jpg

post-11699-0-78202200-1418607449.jpg

post-11699-0-55198800-1418607466_thumb.jpg

post-11699-0-50236600-1418607482_thumb.jpg

post-11699-0-79729200-1418607497_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mundie

I know what you mean Mundie. Just getting back into wooden ship modeling, I'm finding that, for me, there are a number of skills that are not yet back up to par or some that I simply never possessed to begin with. For me, soldering brass is a prime example.

However, I'm also finding that with a little patience and practice (sometimes a lot of practice) the skills will come. Unfortunately, sometimes it means we must waste a lot of time and resources to re-do stuff. For me, it has meant re-doing more stuff than I care to because "good" simply isn't good enough (I'm on my second attempt at doing the frames in a small boat). Just be patient, the skills will come.

Fletch

Clark Fletcher

Current Build: USS Constitution - Model Shipways - 1812 Era Specs

That's whats great about this hobby. You can do whatever works for you. Its your build & you can do it however you want.

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

• 3 weeks later...

They look really good!