Glad Tidings Pinky Schooner by timo4352 - Model Shipways - scale 1:24

Looking good Tim, I really like the Tapering you did on the Bow, especially where you left the  top part as it was and 'blended' it into the taper, very like what I see down in my local harbour.. Very Elegant Work .

All the Best

Eamonn

Current Build   :  HM Schooner Ballahoo

In the Pipeline :  HM Cutter Sherbourne, HM Mortar Convulsion, Emma C Berry & C18th English Longboat.. Eventually That Is..🙄

Thanks Eamonn. Just trying to follow the plans as close as I can. The plans set that came with this model is really amazing. All these type of details are included there.

Plus, this was something I didn't get quite right on my 1:1 build, and I wanted to do better this time.  ;)

I've started lining off the hull - I think this is gonna take a while.............   The plans come with a sheet for cutting the plank shapes - and I at first was thinking that I would be able to trace them , cut them , and put them on the boat.  I now think it's gonna be just a bit more complicated than that..... :huh:

There's 17 strakes - per side = 34 strakes 

And... 3 planks per strake = 102 planks in all

That'll keep me busy for a while

Edited by timo4352

Tim

"That's a fine looking pair of oars you got there, Sir"

" 'em aint 'ores --- that's me wife and me daughter! "
  :o

Current build:   Glad Tidings Pinky Schooner

Past builds:  1:1  Stick-Up Sharpie Build

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack by Timo4352 - Midwest Products - SMALL - First time builder

Gunning Dory sail & oar boat 1:1
Future Build:   Scratch built Mower Dory  -  scale undetermined yet             

another future build:   Martha - Chesapeake draketail    

Here's a couple shots of the starting of lining off - and the sheet of plank shapes from the plans. I've glued it to poster board an I'll cut them out to see how they fit the boat. I don't know if any other kits include plank shapes like this? It seems like a nice touch, especially for a beginner.

I have taken all those pins out and cut them short and re-installed them to make working on the hull a little less cumbersome.

13525597044_f253da2c3a_c.jpg

13525383333_99d9cb7114_c.jpg

13525349943_a0e7ce37d5_c.jpg

13525365553_e7657497d7_c.jpg

Edited by timo4352

Tim

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack by Timo4352 - Midwest Products - SMALL - First time builder

Looking really good Tim. The Bounty Launch comes with pre-spiled planks and the plans have them drawn out like the Pinky. It only required final fitting of the planks which made it much easier for a first time planking job. 

Does the Pinky give you wide enough material to spile the planks like the plans show? I haven't even opened the box on mine yet.

The heart is happiest when the head and the hands work together.

Al

Current Builds:

HMS Halifax 1/48 POF Lumberyard Kit

Model Shipways Glad Tidings

Acoustic Guitar Build FINISHED

Does the Pinky give you wide enough material to spile the planks like the plans show? I haven't even opened the box on mine yet.

The instructions say that they do. They also say that the supplied material is based on 8 foot scale plank lengths - so don't try doing full length planks or you may run out of material, I guess.  3 planks to a strake is what the plans call for.

Edited by timo4352

Tim

Ahhh I remember this planking! Lots of cutting, lots of rubber cementing but a good education in spiling planks! Have fun with it!

hamilton

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch)

under the bench: Admiralty Echo cross-section; MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

The plans will help tremendously.  However if you would lke to practice and increase your knowledge try and figure out the final shape as well. Use manilla folders for the practice planking.  In my experience unless you have the bulkheads perfect and the hull symetrical there could be some diffrences. Just some advice on adding a little challenge to a complex job.

David B

I would think the plans would have the planks laid out a bit oversize for final fitting. Tim has the hull broken down into sections with battens. That should help to make the job easier. It looks like a really good base to work from.

Al D.

The heart is happiest when the head and the hands work together.

Al

Current Builds:

HMS Halifax 1/48 POF Lumberyard Kit

Model Shipways Glad Tidings

Acoustic Guitar Build FINISHED

From my memory that is the case Al, but the plans also have a graph to facilitate spiling the planks to suit the idiosynchracies of the builder. When I planked this model, I used the plank patterns as a reference for the garboard and the upper band. They worked well. For bands B & C I used the patterns cut slightly more oversized and tried my own spiling taking measurements off the bulkhead edges. It was a good learning experience and the planking turned out ok...still had to use some filler, though not too much.....

hamilton

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch)

under the bench: Admiralty Echo cross-section; MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

Well, I have finally made it to planking!

But first I re-did my lining off - I wasn't happy with the first attempt so I started over from scratch. Re- marked the belts and all the plank lines. Then I cut out one of my posterboard planks to see how it fit - pretty damn close!  So I started cutting a couple planks, and got my first one glued on! - only 101 more to go!  :P The one pic shows the posterboard plank next to a real one. The majority of the planks are quite narrow as you can see.

I know the last plank to go on is usually called the whiskey plank - is there a name for the first?  Beer plank maybe?   :cheers:

I promise I won't show a pic of every plank as it goes on!  :P

13592084144_32f6c29382_c.jpg

13591721905_45d393cd0c_c.jpg

13591746773_bf48c28609_c.jpg

Tim

After last evening and this evening spent just getting started on this planking job, it is apparent this this will be a big job that will not be done too quickly. I have not finished two full staves yet. And me being the perfectionist that I am this is gonna take some time. I won't bore you all with every detail, but rest assured I'll be back with a planked hull at some time. This space may be a bit quite for a while... :huh:

Tim

As I recall I did one strake per night, port & starboard....Took about 3 weeks...have fun!

hamilton

I would just like to add my thoughts on planking today - and hope that they might possibly be of some help or encouragement to other newbies like myself.

This is on a whole different level than the Midwest kit I just completed which was planked in four large sheets - like plywood. I have just about completed 3 full staves now. I am really taking my time and getting some nice tight fits. Tapering the backs of the planks helps them fit together very closely. A lot of time is spent on each individual plank to get it the best I can. I'm striving for using no filler - we will see how that goes  ;) The whole process is very enjoyable and satisfying to me. Time consuming - yes, but that's a good thing I think.  I'm still thinking I might try for a bright finished hull-  if my planking continues the way it is going now, I might just be able to pull it off. I'll have to do some tests,I guess, to see how basswood looks bright. I suppose I can always paint over it if it doesn't come out right.

Thanks for letting me think out loud here. :)

Tim

Stick with it Tim it'll be worth it , you'll see!

I left the bulwark area of my Ballahoo 'natural' so took my time also, but I am painting the lower parts so wasn't too particular there (that said the end result looked the same.. go figure :rolleyes: )

Sail 'er Easy

Eamonn

Current Build   :  HM Schooner Ballahoo

In the Pipeline :  HM Cutter Sherbourne, HM Mortar Convulsion, Emma C Berry & C18th English Longboat.. Eventually That Is..🙄

Stick with it Tim. Plankins a hull is a demanding process but the end really pays off.  When you are done make up some test sample and experiment with differnet stains and varnished to what you like.

David B

Dee Dee hinted for some planking info - I have had to steam at the bow and stern. I'm working at the kitchen table so the tea kettle is right behind me. Haven't done any spiling yet - the plank patterns have been fitting pretty close. I did a careful lining off according to the plans - that helped the patterns fit good, I think. Now this is my first time planking, and I wouldn't say the planking is difficult - just a bit tedious and time consuming. It's all good. I'm working on strake #4 now.

13704602113_d02cb2f8ea_b.jpg

13704947324_a7055815e9_b.jpg

13704952974_fe26d82637_b.jpg

13704595203_4545b23c2f_b.jpg

Tim

Excellant !! keep up the good work Tim. Nice to see some one really spiling the planks

S.os

New Bedford Whaleboat build. Kit by Model Shipways

I've been making progress on my model and according to the instruction booklet I should be painting it, at least parts of it.

Are acrylic's ok ? I did apply a sanding sealer. but I want to stain the untreated floor boards which are walnut.

Thanks

S.O.S.

Planking looks amazing!

hamilton

Thanks Tim.  Having two 'bows' to plank makes this a challenge!  On the three planks completed, were any of these tapered?  

I'm going to pull out my instructions so I can follow.  Thanks again for posting additional planking info!

Dee Dee 

Current Build

- Glad Tidings -MS  

Completed Builds

- Dragon - Corel - One design International Class Yacht

- Sloup Coquillier / Shell Fish Sloop - Corel - Based on 'Bergere de Domremy / Shepherdess from Domremy

- Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack - Scratch build based on drawings from Chapelle's book "American Small Sailing Craft" 

On the Shelf

- Gretel-Mamoli     - Emma C. Berry-MS    - Chesapeake Bay Pilot Boat, Semi-scratch 

Find yourself hoping you never reach your destination

Very nice work Tim !

interesting hull shape, she must have been quite a Swift sailor

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Thanks Tim.  Having two 'bows' to plank makes this a challenge!  On the three planks completed, were any of these tapered?  

I'm going to pull out my instructions so I can follow.  Thanks again for posting additional planking info!

Dee Dee 

Thank you all for the kind words!  It really does help motivate the builder!  :)

Dee Dee

When you get your plans out - look at the supplemental sheet that shows the plank shapes - you will see that basically none of the planks are straight or even width. They are all curved and tapered. You will have to make each one different (except for it's twin on the other side). You will want to read and re-read the instructions many times 'til it all sinks in. At least I had to. And it's not that hard once you get started - just time consuming. And hobbies are supposed to be time consuming so it works out great! :D

I will of course help you any way I can if you need it. Enjoy.

Tim

Your planking work looks great Tim. I might just have to suck up the shipping costs and get this kit. I love its lines.

Cheers

Alistair

Current Build - HMS Fly by aliluke - Victory Models - 1/64

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/34180-hms-fly-by-aliluke-victory-models-164/

Previous Build  - Armed Virginia Sloop by Model Shipways

Previous Build - Dutch Whaler by Sergal (hull only, no log)