Constitution by patrickmil - Model Shipways - 1/76th

George and Larry, thanks for taking the time to stop by. George, I usually just have my iPhone on shuffle and that plays to a bluetooth speaker. Last night I was getting a heavier bit of Led Zeppelin than normal. Larry, who needs popcorn when there's beer?  :cheers:  Since I am a homebrewer there is always plenty on hand at my build log. By this weekend I should have all of the stern framing in place.

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

Sjors, thanks for stopping by. I'm enjoying the new toy immensely!

Thanks,

Patrick

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

looking very good Patrick.....looks like you'll need to change the moniker you have above you avatar ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Very Nice Patrick, looks like you might have figured it out. Like the new toy, enjoy it, they work great...wish I coulda' sold it to ya'...lol Merry Christmas and a very Properous New Year...

John

Current Current Builds:

US Brig Niagara on my website

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

website US Brig Niagara Model http://www.niagaramodel.com

website Charles W Morgan Model http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com

website PROXXON DISCOUNT TOOL STORE http://proxxontoolsdiscount.com

Popeye and John, thanks for stopping by. Have a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

Thanks,

Patrick

- John Wayne

I'm just catching up, Patrick.  Wonderful work so far.  I hope you'll go for the lights.  I found it really brings interest to the model even if stuff is hidden. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Mark, thanks for stopping by and thanks to everyone for the likes.

The stern timbers are finished at this point. They have been glued in place with a slight cant to outboard on each side to accommodate the rest of the natural run of the deck. I have also completed and glued into place the starboard stern filler block. Please let me know what you think and if there are any recommendations or improvements to be made, don't be shy and let me know. Thanks for looking in.

post-122-0-26028400-1419907436_thumb.jpg

post-122-0-27002700-1419907442_thumb.jpg

post-122-0-47250400-1419907448_thumb.jpg

post-122-0-05341700-1419907455_thumb.jpg

post-122-0-11357000-1419907468_thumb.jpg

Thanks,

Patrick

- John Wayne

Great work Patrick B) The only thing that springs to mind,is that you need to check that the face of the stern is going appear the correct shape as what you are representing.I found out with Sovereign,you correct the stern in side profile,but then the upper hull does not run fair into the transom.I had to ease the sides of the model to get everything running fair.A simple card mockup of the stern face clamped in position should allow you to check things are running true using a batten on the sides of the upper bulkheads.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Currently working on Royal Caroline

She's coming together nicely Patrick. Glad to be here watching her progress. I could be wrong about this, but I think you have the unique distinction of being the only one building the MS Connie with a full gun deck. As I think I mentioned before, I'm pondering over how much kit-bashing I'll do to mine, but definitely, will be planking the gun deck and buying cannon and carriages for it. Not sure about the stern and galleries yet, but watching this one will inspire some new ideas I'm sure. This is going to be epic, and I'm happy to have a front-row seat.  B)

All My Hopes for a Safe and Happy New Year

:cheers:

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Having bashed the AL Constellation into a full gundeck, I have a deep appreciation for what you're going through   I suspect that you'll be ready to join us on the "darkside" after this.  :D  :D :D  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

All, thanks for stopping by and thanks for the likes.

Nigel, I may be bulking up the sides of the last couple bulkheads by a 1/16" or a tad more so that the planking runs fair. The upper parts of the stern timbers and bulkheads will be nipped off though. The original plans in AOTS only show bulwarks that come to less than waist high so I will be adjusting this accordingly.

George, I think this journey is going to be along the lines of Frodo's journey in Lord of the Rings, fraught with peril, danger, and violence every step of the way.  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o

Mark, I plan on joining the dark side after this build. I have big plans and need to cut my teeth with this.

Sjors, isn't the dark side a good landing spot for everybody eventually?  ;)

Thanks,

Patrick

- John Wayne

Patrick,  very nice work on the stern timbers and your first picture has made me feel better about writing port and starboard on the sides of my ship.  I thought I was like cheating or something to do that. ;)  :)   Great work as always.

Sal

Nautical Research Guild

Current

USCG Harriet Lane - Model Shipways

Complete 

U.S. Brig Syren - Model Shipways

New York Pilot Boat 'Phantom' 1868 - Model Shipways

Patrick,

Any chance of getting me grubby hands on a copy of the patterns you used to make your stern timbers ??

I just figure it may save me some time and heartache (and just a little of the violence) later on.

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

Patrick,

Your stern is shaping up nicely! I am looking forward to seeing what you do with your stern. I think I am lost in analysis paralysis on my Constitution build, so it has been relegated to the shelf once again for an undetermined amount of time.

Living vicariously through your build, and enjoying every minute!

- Tim

Guys, thanks for the generous comments. Reading these is making me want to be home (and not at work) working on Connie.

Sjors, I'd imagine the dark side is in your near future.

Sal, I wouldn't know my a$$ from a hole in the ground without marking things up quite a bit.

CaptainSteve, I'd be happy to share the plans I made on the stern timbers. I want to get them into a finished drawing before releasing them.

Tim, thanks for looking in. I was in danger of over-researching myself. For Connie's earliest configuration there is no concrete, air-tight evidence of what she actually looked like so I'm just going with what feels good and looks right to me.

Thanks,

Patrick

- John Wayne

you have the idea for the run of the sides...adding thickness to the outers.   for the diagonal slant you have near the counter,  are you going to use narrower planks?   for my Half Moon,  I used three different widths,  to get the profile of the transom and counter.   you have a beautiful shape there....looks real good!   gonna look very sweet when she's all planked!  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Popeye, Just a little thickness to the sides of the last two bulkheads close to where the spar deck is ought to do the trick. The bulkheads are already wide enough and close to where I want at the gun deck level. For the upper counter (this is where the name is placed on the drawings for the original stern) I will be using planks that are more narrow. Thanks for dropping in and having a gander

Thanks,

Patrick

- John Wayne

Tim, and to any that follow, I will gladly post my stern plans. I just want to clean them up a bit. My chicken scratch might not be legible to anybody outside of the admiral and kids.

Thanks,

Patrick

- John Wayne

Thanks Ben. I will hopefully be following up with more pictures this evening. I have started putting counter planking in place to help me visualize where the hull planking end.

Thanks,

Patrick

- John Wayne

A plank on the counter and a filler block between the most outboard stern timber and bulkhead R. More will be coming when I'm not having champagne with the family for New Year's Eve.

BTW, HAPPY NEW YEAR'S EVERYBODY!!!!!!!     :cheers:

Also, GO BUCKEYES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   B)  B)  B)  B)  B)  B)  B)  B)  B)  B)  B)

post-122-0-28562200-1420070958_thumb.jpg

post-122-0-80107400-1420070964_thumb.jpg

Thanks,

Patrick

- John Wayne

Very nice work Patrick. I kind of wish I had doubled up on the interior frames like you did. However, I only doubled up on the outer-most frames. We'll see how well it holds up.

If it doesn't hold up I may end up having to go back and double up on the interior frames as well. One thing for sure, I don't think you have to worry about your Captain's Quarters holding up to some abuse.

Fletch

Clark Fletcher

Current Build: USS Constitution - Model Shipways - 1812 Era Specs

NICE!!!!       H.N.Y.!!!!!!!!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Thanks all for looking in. I hope everybody's Holiday season went well. I have several days off so I figured I'd take full advantage and get some ship building done. Not a huge update, but progress nonetheless. I've planked and rough sanded the two counters on the stern. I also included a picture of a force of nature for my hobby. I don't think Sherman intentionally tries to upset me by wanting to chew on my ship so I can't hate him, he's just following his nature which is destructive.

post-122-0-18822900-1420635365_thumb.jpg

post-122-0-88548700-1420635370_thumb.jpg

post-122-0-45634900-1420635377_thumb.jpg

Thanks,

Patrick

- John Wayne