Constitution by patrickmil - Model Shipways - 1/76th

Tim, thanks a bunch for looking in and the scale converter. I will absolutely be using that. I'm not completely sold on purchasing different cannons just yet. If I can figure out how to make them I might give it a go.

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

I'll sip a little Single Malt Whiskey and bend an elbow with ya! plus a nice cigar...

John

Current Current Builds:

US Brig Niagara on my website

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

website US Brig Niagara Model http://www.niagaramodel.com

website Charles W Morgan Model http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com

website PROXXON DISCOUNT TOOL STORE http://proxxontoolsdiscount.com

I will be having a cigar later today after work in fact; most likely with a little bourbon as well. And then we'll see about getting to that keel.

Thanks,

Patrick

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

I still have some good Cuban's from when I lived in Costa Rica.....ahhh...the aroma of Habana...

John

Current Current Builds:

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

frame work looks good Patrick :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Patrick, I finally got the book "Ship Models - Museum of Fine Arts Boston". It has photos of one model of Constitution and it shows the figure on the bow and split gunports. The model is not dated or atributed but it looks quite old. Maybe the museum could provide more information on it. I am very curious and may inquire myself. If I get any information I will let you know.

The heart is happiest when the head and the hands work together.

Al

Current Builds:

HMS Halifax 1/48 POF Lumberyard Kit

Model Shipways Glad Tidings

Acoustic Guitar Build FINISHED

Popeye, thanks for the good word. I've got some real sanding work in front of me; those blocks are Poplar. Al, I'd like to see the figurehead on that. I've got some pictures of it from online, but most aren't good enough for a real good interpretation. 

Thanks,

Patrick

- John Wayne

Nice figurehead Al. Thanks for the picture.

Thanks,

Patrick

- John Wayne

I notice that this model has gunport lids. Interesting...

Thanks,

Patrick

- John Wayne

I'm still waiting on my book from Tyrone Martin. Apparently this is one of the more credible accounts of the history of the ship. I'm anxious to compare what he has written to what I have already researched.

Thanks,

Patrick

- John Wayne

Good pictures, I haven't seen those before.

John

Current Current Builds:

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

I agree with you John, they are good pictures. I'm comparing them to the other sources and this bow looks nothing like any of the others with the gold, the figurehead itself and the white stripe going all the way forward. I did finally receive Commander Martin's book. I have some reading to do in between sanding the poplar blocks. Bob, thanks a ton for stopping by. I think I'm the one who's going to be doing the majority of learning here.

Thanks,

Patrick

- John Wayne

• 3 weeks later...

It's been two weeks since I've posted on this log. If you're wondering "What the h**l has that guy been doing?" I'm here to explain. When I started on the Niagara I had some suspicions that the bulkheads weren't matching from the left side to the right side. I started to get that feeling with Connie too. I checked the plans and even the plans didn't have perfectly matching contours when comparing the left and right sides (I'll use proper sea-going terms when this starts to look like a ship). The sides of my ship are not matching up to one another despite carefully aligning the center lines of them to the center line of my false keel. This is going to make life difficult when trying to plank given my slight case of OCD with this build. To try and correct this I cut apart plan sheet one into the separate bulkheads and then made copies of them all. This will also help with future builds of sister ships  ;) . The pictures I've included today are of my plans, the Connie skeleton with the poplar blocks sanded down, and my start to adding wood to the bulkheads so I can get them to the proper shape and mirror imaged from left to right. I've also included a picture of another project that has stolen from my ship building time and the lazy shipyard overseer. Thanks for looking in.

post-122-0-06918600-1397738246_thumb.jpg

post-122-0-18446200-1397738255_thumb.jpg

post-122-0-91265400-1397738269_thumb.jpg

post-122-0-33917500-1397738288_thumb.jpg

post-122-0-38600900-1397738300_thumb.jpg

post-122-0-44835000-1397738310_thumb.jpg

post-122-0-53635800-1397738318_thumb.jpg

Thanks,

Patrick

- John Wayne

Oh, what I didn't mention is that I will be using the copies to cut out some gauges from thin aspen that I can use to make sure the sides match up properly on each bulkhead.

Thanks,

Patrick

- John Wayne

Guest Tim I.

Patrick,

It is looking good. I have to admit when I begin my Niagara I will be looking at your build log to avoid pitfalls and get some tips. 

How do you like using Poplar / Aspen as frames and blocks?

Thanks,

Tim

Thanks for looking in Tim. I used the poplar as blocks because it's pretty hard and I had a bunch laying around. I'm only using the aspen to cut out some gauges for making sure the left and right sides of my bulkheads are identical. It's too soft in my opinion for this hobby as far as being an actual part of the model.

Thanks,

Patrick

- John Wayne

Guest Tim I.

I like using aspen for jigs, but I have not used it much aside from jigs because it not take stain well.

Looking forward to seeing your gauges.

- Tim

you got a baby??????! SOOOOOOO cute! love 'em as puppies....so much fun! ;)

you got me with that other picture.......don't tell me....I'm keen to guess! a deck with a heli-pad! :D :D

looks very cool! ;)

that's not an isolated though.....I've gotten that feeling with a couple of my builds. through faring though, sanding will take care of that......I tend to eye ball it as I go along. my biggest concern, is the tapering of the hull......although with proper faring, this usually isn't an issue either. it is good though that your covering all your angles.....should be a sweet looking hull when fully planked. :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Wow.... asymmetrical bulkheads?  That to me is inexcusable on the plans.  While fairing will certainly have an impact, an inconsistency before you even start can be formidable to overcome.  Your time is being well spent.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Tim, I'll be cutting the gauges out in my garage today if I'm granted enough time before wife, kids and life in general get home. Popeye, Her name is Sadie and she's feeling under the weather lately so she's sitting comfortably next to me. I'll let you keep guessing on the one picture (it's got absolutely nothing to do with ships or modeling). And as Augie followed up with a comment, I'm not really happy with the fact that the plans are like that. I'm going to be going off of the starboard side of the plans of the bulkheads because they have cleaner lines and don't include the bevels. I'd just like to say, I love everything else about Model Shipways kits, but I got me thinking and I drug out the old Niagara plans and same thing happened there too with asymmetrical bulkhead plans. Just a hurdle to jump and then I'll be on my way. The one benefit of this has been that I am planning better and now have an idea for using everything I'll be doing for a future scratch of the United States, but I don't want to get ahead of myself.

Thanks,

Patrick

- John Wayne

That's a bummer, like Augie said,inexcusable. But I'm sure you'll take care this. Man that's a BIG!! ship., do you plan on taking her to sea!!  :D

Frank         

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Frank, I think the dog might be able to safely embark upon her  :D  :D  :D  :D ! I'm finding little nuances here and there that are disturbing given the normal retail cost of this kit, but they are all easily overcome with some time and patience. Like I said, I love Model Shipways kits. Their instructions are near the top of the list when comparing kits and they don't skimp on materials either (I usually have enough wood strips left over to almost construct another smaller ship). You'd assume that the plans wouldn't even be an issue and the other sheets showing detail certainly are ample.

Thanks,

Patrick

- John Wayne

In this day and age of computer generated drawing there is no excuse for these errors on the drawings or the laser cut parts for that matter. They should be accurate. Even if the scale is off very slightly they should be symetrical.

The heart is happiest when the head and the hands work together.

Al

Current Builds:

HMS Halifax 1/48 POF Lumberyard Kit

Model Shipways Glad Tidings

Acoustic Guitar Build FINISHED

Hi Patrick,

Sorry to hear about the bad plans, but now you know the problem I have full confidence you will quickly be over the issue.

It's become one of my Mantras " check the bloody plans " but " don't assume the plans are accurate ".

Ben

Al, Ben and Nigel, thanks for looking in and the words of encouragement. I have been steadily getting these bulkheads up to standard. It's a slow process though. I'm cutting out the starboard side of the copies of the plans, tracing the profiles onto 1/8" thick basswood sheets and cutting these out. Once I've got the proper shape on the starboard side then I take that same template or gauge and use it on the port side and then I'm assured symmetry. 

Thanks,

Patrick

- John Wayne