Constitution by patrickmil - Model Shipways - 1/76th

Patrick,  I just wanted to say that your work is magnificent and I'd like to thank you for taking time to look at my first build log of the Phantom. You've must have done this for quite some time.   I'll be following your build in hopes that I can learn from a master.

Sal

Sal

Nautical Research Guild

Current

USCG Harriet Lane - Model Shipways

Complete 

U.S. Brig Syren - Model Shipways

New York Pilot Boat 'Phantom' 1868 - Model Shipways

Guest Tim I.

Tim, I'm not sure yet. I'm thinking possibly 1/32nd scale but I haven't measured anything out yet to see if it's what I want to accompany Connie when she's in her final display.

Looking forward to seeing them!

- Tim

Sal, I'm not sure I have too much to offer, but thanks all the same for the compliments. Tim, I'll probably be putting together the battle station in conjunction with Connie so I have something to work on while glue dries.

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

Guest Tim I.

Sal, I'm not sure I have too much to offer, but thanks all the same for the compliments. Tim, I'll probably be putting together the battle station in conjunction with Connie so I have something to work on while glue dries.

Nice. That is partially why I like to work on two builds. As well as getting burned out on a project without a diversion.

- Tim

In the past with Niagara I'd get too anxious while waiting for something to dry, do some work that needed to wait and then repair everything after disaster struck.

Thanks,

Patrick

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

In the past with Niagara I'd get too anxious while waiting for something to dry, do some work that needed to wait and then repair everything after disaster struck.

I have been learning this lesson almost daily with the Halifax.

Hi Patrick,

I love the point you make that you have learned patience, it's in my opinion the ship modellers greatest tool. Very hard too learn though! Lol

Ben

Hey Ben, yeah, patience.... I've had to exercise it to almost my breaking point lately. There should be massive updates on this build log but life and commitments keep taking time away. I've been getting in blocks of fifteen minutes here and there and am almost finished with getting these bulkheads straightened out.

Thanks,

Patrick

- John Wayne

Relax, Patrick.  I'm in the same boat of late (can't believe I said that).  We're not in a race, there's no time limit.  Just don't go backwards ---- that's the killer!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

same sentiment here  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Hey Ben, yeah, patience.... I've had to exercise it to almost my breaking point lately. There should be massive updates on this build log but life and commitments keep taking time away. I've been getting in blocks of fifteen minutes here and there and am almost finished with getting these bulkheads straightened out.

Fun time can be a rare thing sometimes. Enjoy it while you can.

The heart is happiest when the head and the hands work together.

Al

Current Builds:

HMS Halifax 1/48 POF Lumberyard Kit

Model Shipways Glad Tidings

Acoustic Guitar Build FINISHED

Tim, Augie, Popeye and Al, thanks for the words. I do actually have progress this time and some photos to post!!! I had to add some wood to bulkheads and have sanded so much and finally have symmetrical bulkheads. Now I feel that I have the foundation for a successful build. I have also glued the halves of the keel together and will be putting these together to go on the hull in one piece. At the same time I am constructing my build board to hold things upright.

post-122-0-74444500-1399558036_thumb.jpg

post-122-0-18349100-1399558046_thumb.jpg

post-122-0-22677400-1399558055_thumb.jpg

post-122-0-37141200-1399558065_thumb.jpg

post-122-0-72490800-1399558072_thumb.jpg

post-122-0-82517600-1399558090_thumb.jpg

post-122-0-88614400-1399558098_thumb.jpg

post-122-0-90564200-1399558106_thumb.jpg

post-122-0-46489500-1399558113_thumb.jpg

Thanks,

Patrick

- John Wayne

Looks great Patrick. Now you have me worried that I didn't spend enough time getting my bulkheads right. You are doing a fantastic job.

Tom, thanks. I just wished I had more accomplished at this time. I wouldn't worry too much about your Constitution; it's looking awesome. I think the kit I bought was an older kit so I would hope some of the issues I've come across have been corrected.

Thanks,

Patrick

- John Wayne

Joshua, LMAO! I'm not building it on the ottoman. I just put it there to get a decent photo. Sal, more clamps are always helpful. I picked up ten for $4.00 at Meijer a bit ago. I will probably be getting more though.

Thanks,

Patrick

- John Wayne

very good repair of the bulkheads Patrick.........planking will really tell the story.   by the looks of it,  your going to have a happy ending  ;)

oh........your probably not the first to sport an otterman in your pictures.......you surly won't be the last.   let me guess......the admiral wasn't home at the time.......right?!?!  :D  :D

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Popeye, the admiral is usually not home when I'm in the shipyard (aka the living room). Of course I still have to get the keel in place, get her mounted onto a building platform and then I'm going to work on the bulwarks and gunport framing so I can stop breaking off the thin upper pieces of my bulkheads.

Thanks,

Patrick

- John Wayne

Looking good Patrick,excellent work B)  B) Spending additional time at this stage and resisting the temptation 'to throw some planks on' pays dividend in the long run.I may be in the minority as I actually enjoy planking :D  :D but only if I am confident everything is right beforehand.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Currently working on Royal Caroline

very good repair of the bulkheads Patrick.........planking will really tell the story.   by the looks of it,  your going to have a happy ending   ;)

oh........your probably not the first to sport an otterman in your pictures.......you surly won't be the last.   let me guess......the admiral wasn't home at the time.......right?!?!   :D 

What completed it for me was how he had his new toys set up on the glass coffee table for other pics.   I was thinking he should enter into the the "where do you do yours" forum. I've taken over a computer desk and small breakfast nook dining room table as my work areas, she's been pretty tolerant so far...lol

Nigel, I too enjoy planking and it has been tough to not say "Screw it!" and jump ahead. Joshua, Yes, the coffee table is the primary modeling area in my home. It affords me a good view of the computer and TV, and it's the only room I have primary command of. Michael, from your work on Halifax I'm sure that you didn't have much to worry about as far as quality of build goes. Thanks guys for looking in.

Thanks,

Patrick

- John Wayne

yea.....those posts are pretty vulnerable at this stage.........you might do well to lay the first plank along the top edge.  that's what I did with a few of my builds.   on one especially......I went all the way to the deck line.  not a lot of faring that high.........it's concentrated at the turn ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I took some time with this build to put together a building slip. The rear port post on this is glued in place. The rear starboard post moves to accommodate different keel widths. The front port post slides fore and aft and the starboard post moves to accommodate the width up front. I have glued together the keel and next will be adding it to the false keel. As always, thanks for looking in.

P.S. Now that my swimbaits have arrived, I will be spending slightly less time in my shipyard.

post-122-0-93584900-1399931364_thumb.jpg

post-122-0-77582400-1399931372_thumb.jpg

post-122-0-24899300-1399931380_thumb.jpg

Thanks,

Patrick

- John Wayne

In addition to smooth sailing in the shop, I'll wish you tight lines at the lakes.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

never mind the tight lines..........rather see them poles bend'in over  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Augie and Popeye, thanks for the good thoughts. These swimbaits are supposed to be some of the best. As long as it's raining in Ohio I should be able to get some more work done on Constitution.

Thanks,

Patrick

- John Wayne