St Roch 605 by dragzz - Billing Boats - 1/72 - new build

this is a new build of the billing boats. st roch 605 1.72 scale this going to be a fun build the boat sits in vancouver iam 4hrs away from there . so here are some pic of the boat kit 

post-2052-0-29320800-1395017343_thumb.jpgpost-2052-0-00011900-1395017360_thumb.jpgpost-2052-0-48858200-1395017382_thumb.jpgpost-2052-0-35125900-1395017406_thumb.jpgpost-2052-0-69709500-1395017434_thumb.jpgpost-2052-0-74840500-1395017457_thumb.jpg

and yes its all here in the kit i did a check list of all the parts .ps i took a break and yes iam back 

Hi Dragzz,

She looks to be a nice kite mate.

Take your time with her and do her justice, help and advice is just a keyboard away.

I'm going to follow your journey if you don't mind.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

welcome to my build log mobbsie  its looks to be a vary nice build . but it will be a slow build as well just so u know i will post some soon and thank u for following my build have a great day.

o well not good news i went thu the kit parts for a sec time and found thats billing did not put a bag of parts in the kit that are missing so i called up billing boats. there going to send the stuff i need i will not start building the kit till i have all the parts here . thats the way it goes some time 

That should be a great model. The latest Ships in Scale magazine has an article about the ship and it's history. It's great that you are close enough to the real thing to take pictures and get a feel for her. I was aboard her on a visit to Vancouver a few years ago.

The heart is happiest when the head and the hands work together.

Al

Current Builds:

HMS Halifax 1/48 POF Lumberyard Kit

Model Shipways Glad Tidings

Acoustic Guitar Build FINISHED

welcome to my build log alde .  i hope to make it to vancover in the summer time will see what happen there . i just to wait on bag of parts . i can start on the hull . some of the parts are warped i put them in to some water going to clamp them down for night check them tommorw.

• 4 weeks later...

well here i start the build of the st roch by billing boats still waiting on some parts there for the upper deck so i can put on the deck that about as far as i can go till the parts come in and yes popeye i did go over all of the stuff again still came out the same as the frist time i check it . so here is the ribs in place thay are not glued yet just doing a dry fit frist to see if thay all will fit well so here a pic where iam now.

post-2052-0-05613000-1397084348_thumb.jpg

looks like your missing the blocks,  anchor{s},  and assorted hardware.   well,  at least you'll be able to assemble the hull and decking while you wait.   these split hulls are OK......but I see no slotting for the masts.   the holes are in the decking,  so you can drill them yourself.  be sure to give them the proper rake.   my AmericA was the same design,  but there were slots.......all I did was cement a piece of wood on both sides and drill down through,  so the masts wouldn't go side to side when you put them in.  you'll also need to add a mast root....the dimentions they show are from the deck up.   you'll have fun with this build.......it's a nice kit  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

ok popeye what do u mean by the rake not to sure what that is sorry .

the rake of a mast is measured by how much the the mast is offset in relation to the deck.   perpendicular to the deck is 0........it can be anywhere from 4-6 degrees,  and as much as 10 degrees.....but I've never had to set 'em that far back {perhaps the AmericA had that much}.   I looked at the box again before I left to go to another log.......you really don't have that much.   cripes.......2 degrees at the most, and same if any for the mizzen.  

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

ok now i see what u mean by rake . is there a tool to measur the rake that i need to get for that or can i make one . and i need to make a support for the masts as well so thay dont go side to side just like u said is that right . better i ask and make sur be for i go and glue stuff i dont want to get this worng. thanks again for your help

so now the dry fit the ribs was good iam starting to glue then in to place here where iam now the ribs are nice and in place the right way here a pic 

post-2052-0-25627200-1397102968_thumb.jpg

ok now i have one side done with the ribs now glued in place all is going well . all the ribs fit in place just fine so here some pic for ya of where iam at .

post-2052-0-90502200-1397110215_thumb.jpgpost-2052-0-89644400-1397110221_thumb.jpgpost-2052-0-59644200-1397110231_thumb.jpg

Hi Dragzz,

When your bulkheads are set and you have joined both sides together dry fit your deck and mark where the masts will be. when you have marked it up you will be able to place the blocks ready to drill out.

I have looked at the box picture and to my eye it looks as though both masts are vertical with no rake on them at all, I think you will have to look at the plans for the fitting of the masts and see if there is a rake, as Popeye has said, it's not difficult but you need to take your time and work it out properly.

Good Luck

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,

the reason why I mentioned this now,  is according to the plans,   these two sides will be decked and planked before they are joined together.  you will not be able to see what happens in there after all this is done.  it will depend how thick that center is and how large the dowels are.   if those center parts are 1/8 thick......it will translate to 1/4.  a good remedy for this is to only drill 1/4 inch into the decking.

in this way,  there will not be enough root to promote the side to side movement.   the mast holes are denoted in the decking,  and will give you the size of the drill used.....of course,  so will the dowel.   sorry if I seem an alarmist......but I tend to look ahead in a build,  trying to see these little problems before they occur.   be sure to add 1/4 inch to the overall length of the mast.  as I mentioned,  the measurements given only tell you the length of the masts from the deck up.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

mobbsie thanku for all you info it will be a big help 

thank u popeye  i know u build one side at a time the deck goes on one side i will show pic so u can see the holes for the deck be for i do any glueing  u and mobbsie are a big help to me thanks so much guys

ok popeye in the pic u will see where i mark its for the block for the mast is this what u was talking about.  glue a block in there befor i go further in the build. hope this is right 

post-2052-0-27695500-1397172262_thumb.jpgpost-2052-0-24767500-1397172269_thumb.jpg

Edited by dragzz

exactly........gluing pieces in there now will save you a lot of grief later on.   you won't need to go that deep,  but in the end,  you'll have enough for a decent mast root.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Hi Dragzz,

Popeye's right mate, the more you do now the more you will save yourself grief later.

Before you drill the mast seats (if you haven't already ) check the mast rake, you may have none at all but it's as well to check now.

Only use enough glue to do the job at hand, trying to clear glue up later is a complete pain in the proverbial.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie

ok some work that i have done last night. i did not put in the mast blocks yet as iam going out today to get some wood for it so i can put them in place befor i do more work. but i did put all the deck in place now here some pic for ya all.

post-2052-0-72114200-1397233026_thumb.jpgpost-2052-0-01067600-1397233037_thumb.jpgpost-2052-0-26243800-1397233043_thumb.jpg

popeye and mobbsi  i did go over the plans 2 times and read the book 2 time there is nothing about the rake at all so iam stuck there if u can help ples. not to sure what to do there iam not at the stage yet just thot i let u both know now befor i get to it thanks

Hi Mate,

OK, looking at the box lid there didn't appear to be any rake at all so for my money I would just drill straight down, ensuring the drill is vertical to the bulkheads.

You don't need any particular wood to make the mast seat, any old scrap piece would do.

Your doing good Dragzz, keep it up.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie

I haven't read an instruction sheet yet,  that has these dimensions.........however they are quick to point out that some experience in model ship construction is required.  go figure  ;)   

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

ok mobbise and popeye i will look more on the internet to see if i can frind something on the rake for the boat. i got some wood from the hobby shop where i iam at . here a pic of it i will put them in place tonight and let them dry over night befor i don any more work to the boat .by the way thank u both for your help .here a pic of the wood i got today

post-2052-0-91348800-1397253567_thumb.jpgpost-2052-0-46555300-1397253574_thumb.jpg

hello all ok here is what iv done so far i have now installed the supports for the masts now .so that part is all done now .and i have installed the support for the decks front and rear .so now the book says i have to start the planking i hate this part lol. its something i will have to get used to i guess.i nuff talking here are some pic for u all .and mobbsie  and popeye hope u guys like it so far.

post-2052-0-03584100-1397278407_thumb.jpgpost-2052-0-60480000-1397278414_thumb.jpgpost-2052-0-30459600-1397278422_thumb.jpgpost-2052-0-15107900-1397278437_thumb.jpgpost-2052-0-66500700-1397278448_thumb.jpgpost-2052-0-75479000-1397278455_thumb.jpg

and the left and right side in the pic are not glued its just to show how it looks so far

Edited by dragzz

Hi Dragzz

Your getting there mate, she got some nice lines.

Your next step will be to glue both sides of the hull together, when the glue is dry you then have to sand down the bulkheads.

The bulkheads need to be sanded so that when you place a plank on them the whole plank is in contact with the bulkhead, if you lay a plank along all the bulkheads you'll see which ones need to be sanded,

This is an important part of the build and needs to be properly, take your time and keep placing the plank against the bulkheads to check your progress.

Be Good

Mobbsie

mobbsie

ok now in the pic the 2 halfs are glued not to much i can do for till it drys so here are some pic of where iam at now.  

post-2052-0-04684300-1397333164_thumb.jpgpost-2052-0-13306000-1397333171_thumb.jpgpost-2052-0-96076700-1397333177_thumb.jpg

here in this pic u will see i glued the front pieces on so looking like a bost now lol. so here are the pic 

post-2052-0-76022300-1397345015_thumb.jpgpost-2052-0-58161200-1397345022_thumb.jpgpost-2052-0-33421600-1397345030_thumb.jpg

I could never wrap my head around planking them before cementing them together either Dragzz........you'll be able to blend the stern in better.  very nice.........looking good!

those are the bow rabbits ;)

Edited by popeye the sailor

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

tys popeye did  not know what all the names are dont  why thay want me to plank them when there apart did not make sene to me so mobbise just told me to glue them i send him a pm on that part so he thot it would be better to just glue . so that it where iam at now