plank on frame

maltbyguy

Hi

having built several plank on bulkhead kits I would now like to build a plank on frame kit something along the lines of hms victory navyboard style

my problem is I don't have any method to mill or cut out the parts I live in a flat and the noise wouldn't be very friendly to others living in the block

does anyone know of a kit manufacturer hopefully in the uk that could help

Thanks

Andy

HI Andy,

the only power tools I have is a dremel drill, I'm just about to start the Caldercradft Hms Victory. All though i don't use it much past 1900 really. I try to keep noise down.

Hope this helps

Rich

Rich.

Builds in Progress:   HMS Victory

Completed Builds:   Constucto Enterprise

Future Builds 2021/2022 USS Constitution

Hello Andy,

look at

http://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk/

if you look for a Victory period model, look at the "Victory models" in the above website. The Victory models are made by Amati.

Regarding noise:

I too, live in a condominium and have problems with noise made during model making.

I have made several "plank on frame" models and my only help is a Dremel drill.

With some accurate programming of your duty, you can concentrate the noisy part of the model making only on some specific days and hours of the week, leaving the rest of the time for assembly or caring of other parts of the ship more "quiet".

Done:          Venetian Polacre http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/7290-venetian-polacre-by-cristiano-sec-xviii-from-original-drawings/

Halifax  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/844-halifax/

Ranger  https://modelshipworld.com/gallery/album/2175-ranger-revenue-cutter-by-corel/   

HM Bark Endeavour (Corel kit heavily kitbashed) : http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/125-hmbark-endeavour-corel-kit-bashed/                                              

Venetian Galleon (from scratch) - Pirate Junk - Sicilian Speronara (from scratch)

On the shelf (still packed):     Artesania Le Hussard....

Hi Andy,

I've just started my first model kit which is a POB but after a few of these, like you, I would like to move to POF kits. I've literally been searching for this earlier this evening and one that might be of interest to you is the "Alfred" from The Lumberyard (http://www.dlumberyard.com/shipkits.html). For some reason their website seems to be down at the moment, but half an hour ago it was up so it may just be down for maintenance.

They're not based in the UK (US based), but they are very well respected it appears, have well established kits and also provide wood upgrades for your kit (can choose from pear, boxwood and some others). Once I've build my ModelExpo USS Syren and Mamoli Friesland, I'll probably go for their Alfred which may then give me enough confidence to try my hand at proper scratch building.

Hope that helps.

Martijn.

Current Build: US Brig Syren, Model Shipways, 1:64

Future Build:  Friesland, Mamoli 1:75 / Alfred, The LumberYard, 1/8

The Lumberyard is a very good wood supplier and they do make a limited number of kits. However, the Alfred and others based on Harold Hahn's plans are NOT kits. They are timbering packages that the modeler can use to cut out the frames etc to build the model. The Lumberyard kits contain laser cut frames while their timbering packages do not. They laser cut some material for the timbering packages, but the actual frames. You will need tools to cut the frames in the timbering packages while with the kits, they are already cut.

Russ

The Lumberyard is a very good wood supplier and they do make a limited number of kits. However, the Alfred and others based on Harold Hahn's plans are NOT kits. They are timbering packages that the modeler can use to cut out the frames etc to build the model. The Lumberyard kits contain laser cut frames while their timbering packages do not. They laser cut some material for the timbering packages, but the actual frames. You will need tools to cut the frames in the timbering packages while with the kits, they are already cut.

Russ

Ah, I wasn't aware of that Russ, thanks for the clarification. Perhaps less so what Andy is looking for so, but even better for me in due course as a first step into scratch.

Hi Andy.

POF ... Scratch build your Victory. Or even a cross section of the Victory.

Consider using laser cutting or water jet cutting for the frames. There are many small company's out there in the UK that will do it for you.

I use adobe Illustrater to design the parts then group then on to the area of the sheet and send the file to the cutters.

Several company's on EBay UK that will do this service.

Ebay listing number. 390791206653

Doing it using this method means very little work with power tools and no Noise.

As far as I know there are no POF kits in the UK.

Regards Antony.

Edited ... Added eBay numbers

Edited by AntonyUK

Best advice ever given to me."If you don't know ..Just ask.

Completed Mayflower

Completed Fun build Tail boat Tailboat

Completed Build Chinese Junk Chinese Pirate Junk

Completed scratch built Korean Turtle ship 1/32 Turtle ship

Completed Santa Lucia Sicilian Cargo Boat 1/30 scale Santa Lucia

On hold. Bounty Occre 1/45

Completed HMS Victory by DeAgostini modelspace. DeAgostini Victory Cross Section

Completed H.M.S. Victory X section by Coral. HMS Victory cross section

Completed The Black Pearl fun build Black Queen

Completed A large scale Victory cross section 1/36 Victory Cross Section

Andy,

Depending on the neighbors, a scroll saw is pretty darn quiet.  Quieter than a lot of folks have their TV volume set at.  Other tools... would need to be used say on Saturdays or Sundays.  Or daytime during the week.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I agree with Marks comments. A scroll saw is about the same noise as a sewing machine.

Have a look at the Reverend Romero's Warrior practium if you want a plank on frame large ship of the line. Also Hobby mill can supply cut and thickness sanded billets of wood to suit that model. 

I've just bought five minutes ago the Proxxon 2-speed scroll-saw DS460 (http://www.proxxon.com/en/micromot/27094.php?list) on eBay with a view of using it for spiling my hull planks whilst in the future I can use it to cut out frames and other elements for POF. One of the reasons for buying this particular one is that it's incredibly quiet.

Normally they retail for just over GBP360, but if you search you can find sometimes returned items. I got this one for GP241 because it had some vibration issues but it's been re-calibrated and as good as new.

I'd strongly recommend buying Proxxon from Germany where their tools are much cheaper and the postage only about £10. Thus SAT Berlin has this scroll-saw brand new for under €300, or about £246. You can see it at http://www.satberlin.de/en/search?xdbbaf=42c4f656601170b92acef002b0c865bc&keywords=ds%20460. TBS Aachen have it for €309.

There's a few of us in the UK who've been buying Proxxon from Germany this way, and the experience has been great -- next-day delivery (or within two days), excellent customer service and good communication. There's no customs duty or VAT as they're in the EU. The only slight difficulty is that sometimes they ship with a European plug, but that's a very small problem and costs little to fix.

Tony

Hi

Thanks for all your suggestions

I have tried the lumberyard and Plymouthships but neither have replied yet maybe they are both having a bad day

Scroll saw is a good idea for cutting out the frames maybe I shall have to invest in one I already have proxxon bench saw and band saw so an e mail to Germany seems best way to go

Well done Tony,

Keep spreading the word. Buy Proxxon from Germany and deprive the rip off UK companies of their excessive profits. I do not believe that one can defend conversion of Euro retail prices to GBP plus an additional markup to arrive at the GB retail price. I would love to know how much the UK companies pay in Euros to import these items.

I agree with you that the standard of service is excellent. I began buying from TBS-Aachen after a UK company could not be bothered to sort out a problem with my order.

Mike.

Previous Build: LA gun deck cross section.
Previous Build: Lancia Armata. Panart 1:16
Previous Build: HMS Pickle. Jotika Build.

HMS Triton cross section 1:32.

Shelved awaiting improved skills:

Chuck"s Cheerful.

Current build.

Tender Avos.

HM cutter Alert.

:

If you are looking for a great scroll saw then I recommend the dewalt dw788, it's pricey but it's Very quiet and almost zero vibration, I use it for my scratch building and I am over the moon with it.

Ben

I'd strongly recommend buying Proxxon from Germany where their tools are much cheaper and the postage only about £10. Thus SAT Berlin has this scroll-saw brand new for under €300, or about £246. You can see it at http://www.satberlin.de/en/search?xdbbaf=42c4f656601170b92acef002b0c865bc&keywords=ds%20460. TBS Aachen have it for €309.

There's a few of us in the UK who've been buying Proxxon from Germany this way, and the experience has been great -- next-day delivery (or within two days), excellent customer service and good communication. There's no customs duty or VAT as they're in the EU. The only slight difficulty is that sometimes they ship with a European plug, but that's a very small problem and costs little to fix.

Tony

I have to agree Proxxon are far superior tools to Dremmel

Current Builds

San Francisco II 

Greetings Andy,

See Jefferson Davis kit by BlueJacket Ship Crafters, Item #K1051. This kit is a true plank on frame model. All of the frames are pre cut, requiring only sanding and filing to finish them to final shape and size. Go to website www.bluejacketinc.com. This company is based in Seaport, Maine in the USA. I know you are looking for a UK kit, but am unaware if similar kits are available in UK. The advantage to this plank on frame kit is that you will not have to purchase power tools to build.

The model is of a Baltimore Clipper, which is a square topsail schooner. You can leave the planking off some, or all, of the hull to show frames Admiralty style. I built this exact model a few years ago and was extremely please with it. BlueJacket is an excellent model manufacturer. I have built several of their kits. Note that they also make a plank on frame model of the Yacht America, Item #K1050.

wq3296

thanks for the information blue jacket

Unfortunately they seem to be another U.S. company that don't reply to my e mail

Has anyone had dealings with the royal shipyard plymouth ? They list several kits but don't seem to reply either

Is it just me :’-(

thanks for the information blue jacket

Unfortunately they seem to be another U.S. company that don't reply to my e mail

Has anyone had dealings with the royal shipyard plymouth ? They list several kits but don't seem to reply either

Is it just me :’-(

You might check (if you've not done so) your spam folder and also spam settings.  It's also possible that your ISP is blocking sites for some reason.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Royal Shipyard is not in business.  He purchased a couple batches of wood from me when he first started the company and then vanished.  My guess is that he was just trying to recover his investment when he purchased the kit producing portion of Bob Hunt's business.  Not sure why he leaves his website up as I periodically receive similar e-mails asking his status.

Jeff Hayes

HobbyMill

Jeff

aka HobbyMill

NRG Member

Current Build: Constitution