Colors for HMS Bounty constructo 80817

vmwilson1

I am new to this art.  I am building my first ship and it is the HMS Bounty made by Constructo (CON80817).  I am looking for a paint chart so that I can  accurately paint the ship.  I have researched various web sites, including Constructo's web site with no luck.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Vic

There are no known accurate comtemporary, eyewitness portraits of the ship. Pictures of other ships during the same years should help you decide what you think.

The fact that no one who actually saw the ship felt obliged to comment on her color means that it was nothing unusual. If Bligh had painted her pink, then you can be sure someone would have noted it in a journal.

The dust jacket of "HMS Bounty: Anatomy of the Ship" comes pretty close to what I think was most likely what she looked like

Edited by michaelpsutton2

Drown you may, but go you must and your reward shall be a man's pay or a hero's grave

• 1 month later...

I am building the Billings Bounty-- and that has answered my question :) I am building my first ship ever and could not work out why every model picture I saw of it was painted differently .

HMAV Bounty 'Billings' completed  

HMS Cheerful - Syren-Chuck' completed :)

Steam Pinnace 199 'Billings bashed' - completed

HMS Ledbury F30 --White Ensign -completed 😎

HMS Vanguard 'Victory models'-- completed :)

Bismarck Amati 1/200 --underway  👍

For years maybe even decades, the popular perception about what the Bounty looked like were shaped by that bright blue replica built in 1960 for the movie and by the cover art on the Revel plastic model. On a side note the sail plan of the 1960 ship was very different from what we know today.

Drown you may, but go you must and your reward shall be a man's pay or a hero's grave

The Constructo HMS Bounty was my first kit build. I left mine natural wood color with just a varnish finish on it. At times, I do wish that I had painted her the colors of the movie version of the Bounty. When people who visited and saw the model, they would always ask why it didn't look like the movie version with colors. I just preferred the natural wood look.