HMS Victory by Artificer - Caldercraft

I didn't start a build log when I started the build 6 years ago and a loss of the photographs put a stop to a retrospective log. I have decided to put a view photo's of the current status and intend to update when advances in the build are made.

post-72-0-08528700-1360961226_thumb.jpg

post-72-0-34646400-1360961230_thumb.jpg

post-72-0-06478600-1360961234_thumb.jpg

post-72-0-30650600-1360961238_thumb.jpg

post-72-0-94884300-1360961241_thumb.jpg

post-72-0-21231800-1360961245_thumb.jpg

post-72-0-46361500-1360961248_thumb.jpg

Currently building CC HMS Victory (6 years and counting)

Future Builds: Victory models 1/64th HMS Victory, Commerce De Marseille (Scratchbuild)and my Japanese Model Rail layout

Very nice. Those galleries, stem and stern are superbe. 

Mort

Current Build - Caldercraft Victory

Completed - Artesiana Latina Swift, Harvey, MGS Prince de Neufchatel, Imai USS Susquehanna, Mamoli Constitution, Rattlesnake per Hunt Practium, Caldercraft Snake, Diana, Kammerlander Duke William 

Waiting to be Launched -  Bluejacket Constitution

Proud member of The New Jersey Ship Model Society

Mort, Brian and Patrick, many thanks for the comments,

I am currently working on the channels and will post more photo's in due course.

Dave

Future Builds: Victory models 1/64th HMS Victory, Commerce De Marseille (Scratchbuild)and my Japanese Model Rail layout

Hi Dave

It's wonderful to have another Vic-build log here! 

Cheers,

Rosmarie

In my shipyard:

HMS Victory 1:72, Caldercraft (wood): http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/416-hms-victory-by-romiol-caldercraft-172/

Schwarzer Rabe (Fluyte 1672) Shipyard, Card, 1:96: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/424-schwarzer-rabe-fluyte-1627-by-romiol-shipyard-card-196/

Rosmarie / Colin

Many thanks for your kind words, they are very encouraging.

Here is a quick update.

I am currently working on the starboard channels and have attached some photo's.

These three photo's show the starboard main channel as constructed, I have secured pins in the back to make the attachment to the hull a lot stronger.

For anyone who is yet to complete these on their Victory build I have a tip which may help. Before I attached the deadeye strops, I drilled a small hole (0.5mm) in to the corner of the respective cut-out, this then accomodates the tags on the strop and when a little CA glue is applied makes the strop very strong. The last thing you want is for a strop to pull-out when rigging.

post-72-0-02079100-1361283646_thumb.jpg

post-72-0-38082400-1361283652_thumb.jpg

post-72-0-46157600-1361283662_thumb.jpg

Once the whole assembly is painted, it is then attached to the hull with CA glue and the pins. The following photo shows the starboard mizzen channel attached to the hull. The pins make the joint strong and the whole assembly has no movement.

post-72-0-81164200-1361283655_thumb.jpg

Dave

very nice stern and galleries, 

the gun port linings look very close to the outside hull, is it an optical illusion?, if not it might interfere with the cover hinges

the rest of the build looks very nice  

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Kevin

Yes, it is an optical illusion. I glued the gun port linings before putting on the second layer planking, this ensured that they were set back 1mm, the second layer didn't require too much sanding.

Dave

i am so looking forward to bringing my build back out of storage

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Kevin

I think we all are waiting for you to re-start your build.

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Here is the next update on my current build.

I have completed the channels and these are shown in the photo's. At this point I am going to break out of the suggested build sequence and will now attach the profile brass strips on to the hull. My reasoning being that at least two of the chainplates will be positioned on top of the brass profile and this would be difficult without the profile being in place.

Dave

post-72-0-74234600-1362316058.jpg

post-72-0-83495200-1362316061.jpg

post-72-0-82519400-1362316064.jpg

post-72-0-72560000-1362316067.jpg

post-72-0-88965400-1362316070.jpg

post-72-0-87146700-1362316073.jpg

Thanks Dave for the excellent photos and great work on this kit.  Also for the detailed pictures of the way you did the channels which is where I'm at on my current build of the Niagara so that helps me a lot.  I have this Victory kit on the shelf...someday I'll get to it!

Dave B

Dave Barnard

Current build: HMS Speedy (Vanguard Models)

On hold: Niagara (Model Shipways), Constitution (Mamoli)

Completed:

Marseille (Mamoli)

Duke William (Kammerlander)

Halifax (Lauck Street Shipyard)

David

Hopefully all will go well with your channels and you don't damage any of the gunport lids.

Here is the next installment, I've now attached the brass profile rails to the port side, it was fairly painless and nothing previously attached got in the way. After cutting and fitting the rails and before they were glued I scrubbed them with 'Scotchbrite' and washing up liquid and then just prior to gluing wiped them off with IPA (Isopropyl Alcohol not the beer) this ensured to joint was dry and grease free.

Now for the starboard side rails.

post-72-0-10170600-1363019650.jpg

post-72-0-98321600-1363019652.jpg

post-72-0-70408700-1363019655.jpg

post-72-0-44771300-1363019658.jpg

Dave:

The stern looks awesome. Hope mine turns out as well. Thanks for the tips. Will keep watching. Did you paint the hull before you finished the upper sides? Am referring more to the waterline to just above the upper wales. Was thinking today I should crack open the paint and do the yellow ochre before I set the red gun linings. Do you remember what you did? Thanks.

Rob

Rob in Calgary

Rob

It's been so long since I was at that stage that I had to dig out a couple of photo's to remind me.

I did paint the sides before completing the second planking. With regards to the gunport linings, I did these out of the suggested sequence and set them before any second planking was started. This made the planking and wales a bit more onerous but it did ensure that the linings were set back the required 1mm. Because the linings were in place I painted these before the hull, the photo's should be self explanitory.

Dave

post-72-0-15959400-1363099163.jpg

post-72-0-22521700-1363099165.jpg

Hello DAVE

Thanks for your reply on my log about the strop assembly, which is a belt and braces job as I have read. I have read your log lots of times and noted your idea for the strops in the channels. I will give it a whirl and see how it goes. Once again thanks a lot . DAVID

Dave : thank you for the info on how you painted. Aprreciate. I am working around the gun ports at the moment a ndheading towards painting black shortly. I find the Admiralty paint by caladercraft dries quite fast when applying with my brush. Did you use their paints and have the same type of problem? I am pretty sure the problem on my side was I painted sections from top to bottom. Perhaps one should paint in long horizontal strips. Painting the black stripes will be a bit easier I am thinking.

Rob in Calgary

Rob

Yes, I am using Admiralty paints, however I found the drying time had a lot to do with the temperature. The drying time is greatly accelerated when it is hotter.

To be honest I was a little disappointed with the dull black used on the sides, it has too much sheen for my liking and each coat seems to add to the shine. I know this paint is touted as being nearer to eggshell than flat black but it's still too much for me personally. The yellow ochre was fine and even after a number of coats remains flat. 

In general I think the paints are good but I may try Vallejo model acrylics on my next build, they are getting favourable write ups by other on this forum.

Dave

• 1 month later...

Anja

Thank you for the greeting, it's been a nice quiet day so far I may go out for a couple of beers later.

Due to my workload it's been a while since I last posted but I should be back working on Victory shortly.

Dave