Prince De Neufchatel by jwvolz - FINISHED - Model Shipways - 1:64

Hi everyone, new guy here, my name is Joe. I've been lurking for about a month and thought it was time to post the build log of my 95% completed Model Shipways Prince De Neufchatel. This is my fourth wooden ship build, with MS "Elsie", Mamoli "Portsmouth" and Corel "Unicorn" being the others. 

I started this way back in 2000, and it has languished off and on in my attic while I've built plastic aircraft models and such. I've been re-energized to complete it and have accomplished a lot over the last few months. Since I haven't completed a build since 2000 my wooden ship skills are a bit rusty, but it's slowly coming back.  :)

I've made a number of changes, right or wrong to the kit, most obviously changing the kit carronade carriages out for scratch sleds; just think it looks better with carronades, and more likely as well...

I see a lot that I would do differently if I were starting over today, but that's all for the next build. 

Meanwhile, here are some photos of where she stands today. Standing rigging is nearly complete, with a few back-stays, and one side of the topmast ratlines to go. A few running lines are up. 

I'm really looking forward to being part of what seems like a great group here at MSW. 

post-11003-0-43087400-1395540342_thumb.jpg

post-11003-0-89509200-1395540354_thumb.jpg

post-11003-0-28341200-1395540362_thumb.jpg

post-11003-0-50078500-1395540371_thumb.jpg

post-11003-0-07011500-1395540387_thumb.jpg

post-11003-0-28467000-1395540402_thumb.jpg

Joe Volz

Current build:

Model Shipways "Benjamin W. Latham"

Completed  builds on MSW:

Caldercraft HMS "Cruizer   Caldercraft HMBV "Granado"   Model Shipways "Prince De Neufchatel"

This is a good looking model and a nice subject. Looking forward to seeing more.

Russ

Beautiful work Joe, the Prince was the first timber kit I ever saw (I used to make plastic, and never even knew timber kits existed!) I fell in love with her but couldn't afford to buy, Prince would have been way outside my skill level anyhoo & timber was huge money compared to plastic back then (and I'm only talking about the early '90's !)

Great to see her up here on MSW !

All The Best

Eamonn

Current Build   :  HM Schooner Ballahoo

In the Pipeline :  HM Cutter Sherbourne, HM Mortar Convulsion, Emma C Berry & C18th English Longboat.. Eventually That Is..🙄

Crossed the fore lower and topsail yards over the weekend, with halyards, trusses and  lifts installed. Everything hanging loose for now. Also got the breast stays rigged. 

post-11003-0-88446900-1396270978_thumb.jpg

post-11003-0-29552200-1396270988_thumb.jpg

Joe Volz

Current build:

Caldercraft HMS "Cruizer   Caldercraft HMBV "Granado"   Model Shipways "Prince De Neufchatel"

Thanks guys.

I've learned the important lesson on this build not to be afraid to rip things out and re-do if they aren't good enough. I've done that a few times in the past couple of weeks...   :rolleyes:

Joe Volz

Current build:

Joe,

Nice work! Very crisp! My first scratch build was of this ship. I got to the point of installing deck furniture. There are supposed to be 2 long guns on board in addition to the carronades. I couldn't figure out where to put them that would give them room for recoil. Merritt Edson built a model of the ship for the Smithsonian, so I went down there to check it out. He couldn't figure out where to put them either, so he left them off. So did I. That means the world is waiting for your solution!

Tom

Well Tom, I don't have an answer either, and it has puzzled me from the get-go...

I placed the long guns in the forward most ports, but agree that there is no way they could recoil there without hitting the companionway! I thought of making them stern chasers, but it just didn't look right. 

Joe Volz

Current build:

Hi Joe --  Nice build.  Your color scheme, along with the copper bottom, makes for a very handsome and neat appearance.  This was my first build, quite a stretch for me, but I found out how fun this hobby could be.  I wish I could say my build looked as good as yours.

Keep at it.

Martin

Current Build:  HMS FLY 1776

Previous Builds:  Rattlesnake 1781

Prince de Neufchatel

Thanks all.

I made some progress this past weekend, hope to get some pictures posted soon. The lifts, halyards, and parrals are complete and all tied off and belayed on the foremast. I also built up a few rope coils (one of my least favorite tasks) for the pinrails. So on to the braces next. 

Joe Volz

Current build:

Looking great Joe!  Just returned from the Chicago Science and Industry Museum and the ship in the central aisle of the ship modeling area is the Prince.  This is a half open / framework exposed, half fully planked model.  I took a look at the forward ports and the maker (didn't record his name) did place a cannon there but, like you said, it was obvious it could never be fired with out significant deck re-arrangement!

That sure is a splendid ship to model though.  Clean lines and great detail.

Stay Modeling My Friend,

Mark

Some more progress on the running rigging this weekend, and also shipped the anchors. 

Missed a cleat on the bulwarks for the fore gaff vangs and don't have any left in the fittings stash. Slight delay as I wait for the order to arrive this week now from Expo with those. Also ran out of my stash of eyebolts...  :(

post-11003-0-93334800-1397440783_thumb.jpg

post-11003-0-05296400-1397440788_thumb.jpg

Joe Volz

Current build:

Well, she's finished. Overall I'm pretty pleased with how it came out. I'll put additional photos in the gallery shortly.

Now, what to build next...

post-11003-0-66046300-1398014588_thumb.jpg

post-11003-0-14498200-1398014598_thumb.jpg

post-11003-0-06262000-1398014618_thumb.jpg

post-11003-0-07754000-1398014633_thumb.jpg

post-11003-0-83219100-1398014641_thumb.jpg

post-11003-0-90380900-1398014656_thumb.jpg

post-11003-0-18359500-1398014679_thumb.jpg

Joe Volz

Current build:

Joe:

That looks fantastic. Great color scheme, rigging, the works. Congratulations.

Russ

Joe - looks great, very impressive!

So what are thinking about: next ship of the line / work boat, small scale / large scale, newer / older, rigged / admiralty.  We need a hint....

I do know that whatever it is I am going to follow along,

mark

Thanks for sharing the pics, Joe. That ship has lovely, lovely lines.

Steve

completed models:

Shenandoah (Corel)

waiting on the shelf:

La Sirene (Corel)

Half Moon (Corel)

Puritan (Mamoli)

Patsy (derisively): "It's only a model."

Arthur: "Sshhh."

Guest Tim I.

Joe,

You did a great job! I am curious about your aft davits. I have the same kit (it will be next post my Picket Boat), but I see no mention of the aft davits. Do you have a pattern for how to make them? Also are your ships boats the same, or did you have an alternative pattern?

Thank you,

Tim

Thank you all, very much.

Tim: The davits are a bit of creative license on my part, but the Merritt Edson model of the PDN in the Smithsonian has the stern davits, and I think it was likely she had them. They are not on the Model Shipways plans. I fabricated them from square walnut stock 4x4mm in size. I overlapped two pieces by about a third of their length, and then clamped them together and filed and sanded the curve to shape. 

The ships boats are built from a plastic shell from one of the Eurpoean kit manufacturers that I can't recall; ME used to carry them. I hollowed them out as thin as I could, planked the outside and then made the ribs/stringers/thwarts etc.. from scratch. 

Here's a closer photo of the davits/boat:

post-11003-0-27546300-1398041664_thumb.jpg

Joe Volz

Current build:

Guest Tim I.

Joe,

Expertly done! I also was debating on adding stern davits, with three boats. However, I have yet to see how committed I will be in detailing out the Prince.

Here is an interesting photograph of the letter of Marque issued for the Prince de Neufchatel by the US Government during the War of 1812.

post-5402-0-58413300-1398044111_thumb.jpg

Cheers to a stellar build!

- Tim

Great shot of the Letter of Marque Tim, thanks for that!

I've kind of narrowed down the next build to probably either the Caldercraft Granado, or the Cruizer, with some modifications to possibly make maybe HMS Reindeer, Penguin, Frolic or Grasshopper. I still have a lot of digging to do research wise on those vessels, so that may have to wait in line a bit. I'm also rather intrigued by the Caldercraft Pickle, which looks like a very nice kit, and a fun build. I'm a bit partial to topsail schooners... 

The stern davit was a simple modification, and the Caldercraft range of resin ship's boats look like a nice option to add some detail to. I think I'll have to look into them in the future. 

Joe Volz

Current build: