H.M.S. Triton (Cross Section) 1:18 Scale, started by AL

This is how I set up the carriage jig to cut the axiltree slots in the carriage side parts. Done using the manual controlled HF Mini-mill.  The clamps hold scrap red oak so I don't have "tear outs" in my good parts as the 1/4" cutting bit chews thru the wood to make the slot.... :cheers:

And YES!!..... thats a home made 24VDC motor drive unit with speed & direction control on the left side of the X axis on the HF Mini-mill! Home made engage/dis-engage shifter lever on the front side, power control box mounted over head on top of Z axis. With that I can power the X-axis left or right from 0 to 20 IPM and NOT have to do any hand cranking of the X-axis!!! Really sweet setup when you need to get raw stock down to size and not wear out your arm cranking the table back and forth... LOL

AL

post-11747-0-97152800-1399963444_thumb.jpg

post-11747-0-78962000-1399963463_thumb.jpg

post-11747-0-34924600-1399963478_thumb.jpg

post-11747-0-77686900-1399963494_thumb.jpg

post-11747-0-21730200-1399963504_thumb.jpg

post-11747-0-01670900-1399965199_thumb.jpg

H.M.S. Triton, 28 gun frigate (Cross Section) 1:18 Scale build in progress

Thanks guys!!  Just wish the "mill room" as I call it.... was bigger...... LOL  That HF Mini-Mill has been a real little work horse in there over the years, along with the HF Mini-Lathe, been able to pull off some really neat projects with em but had to push em to the limit and then a tad more to get there due to their small working limits!!

AL

Lots of nice stuff in those pics. Like the setup for the "X" axis, nice.

Big vise small mill, but.

Enjoy

Later Tim

Current Build -- Finishing a 1:1 House that I've been building for a while

Current Build -- Triton Cross Section

Thanks Tim!...... Yes, small mill for sure,  vice is only a 4", biggest that will work on a HF Mini-Mill. The X-axis has about a 10" working area, The Y-axis has just a tad less then 4", the Z-axis is not much better and the bigger the chuck the less head space you have..... I use short (screw machine ) drill bits when I can.

AL 

And I have a Sherline mill. So I really understand. Also have a Sherline lathe. Some of the tool holders etc that I've had to make to do and hold things.

Enjoy the build.

Later Tim

Thanks Tim! 

This 1:18 scale sure eats up the wood, had to go out in the yard and cut some more wood for the ship!! ;) LOL

AL

post-11747-0-44087100-1400187633_thumb.jpg

Just some yard work cutting down some dying trees, keeping me busy when not working on my ship. :cheers:

Al,

Outstanding Sir. Simply amazing. My carriages didn't come out as well due to the fact that its a much smaller scale than yours, hence having to paint them red to cover up some of the flaws. Hopefully one day I may have the opportunity to work on a CNC that will give me half the results as yours did. Fair winds to you and yours Buddy.

Yes Matrim.... its like having your own Sherwood Forest with all the wood ticks, mosquitoes, chiggers, snakes, etc....that go with it... LOL I really hate bugs and snakes!!! :cheers:  And did I mention lots of Poison Oak all over the place! :rolleyes:

AL

Alabama has more different types of poisonous snakes than any other state. That's if I remember right. Still I'll always remember it as a nice state to live in.

Enjoy your cnc time. I've been working on the big mill lately. Metal projects not wood.

Later Tim

Good morning Al,

WOW !!!! You're carriages have been executed flawlessly. At this scale, you have been able to give them a lot of details and character. I must confess that I can barely wait to see how you go about slapping everything together on your Triton. :im Not Worthy:

Thanks Ray!!! Still got a few more things to do to the cannons, just finished getting the touch hole plate added and skewers made to hold the cannons while painting them. Getting ready to do some thick primer paint brush work around the touch hole plate and rear of each cannon before I use spray can primer to the whole body.  :)  I used 1/8" bamboo skewers glued inside 1/4" poplar dowel so I would have clearance around the cannon's end so the paint doesn't glue the skewer to the barrel. 

AL

post-11747-0-21702500-1400958128_thumb.jpg

post-11747-0-08016900-1400958136_thumb.jpg

post-11747-0-29708700-1400958146_thumb.jpg

post-11747-0-76503200-1400958154_thumb.jpg

post-11747-0-58460400-1400958164_thumb.jpg

The 1st. Cannon with color paint done!! :cheers:  I like it!!

A coat of Flat Black, followed by a coat of Clear Satin Poly-U gave me the effect I was after. :D Now.... to do it 3 more times!!

AL

post-11747-0-86373800-1401060083_thumb.jpg

post-11747-0-03612100-1401060095_thumb.jpg

Hey Al,

I hope you are having a great Memrial Day Weekend Buddy. Is there a word that means more than WOW!!!! to describe how your cannons are looking. I mean they are super looking to the point I want to add powder and a shot just to fire it. Keep up the great work Buddy.

LOL!! I can just see powder in a wood cannon going off.... LOL Talk about splinters!!.... LOL ;)  Thanks Ray....I was hoping they would come out this good, but only did one this way, just in case it didn't work. I don't mind making one more but not 4 more of em.... LOL I still need to go thru my wire scraps and see if I have any #18 solid copper to make eyelets with, so many details to contend with on these cannons! I'm still debating with myself on how I'm going to make the cannon barrel pivot caps or what ever they are called, maybe alum or copper painted black, still thinking on it. But, Yes.... fun working on them!!!

AL

Nice work Al. Only a few more. Maybe copper painted black, easy to bend if needed to. I am sure whichever you use it will turn out great. Keep the pictures coming, will be waiting to see what you do.

Wacko

Joe :D

Go MSW :) :)

Thanks Wouter!! I wasn't sure it would come out looking so good, I've never done this before and this is mostly experimentation on my part to see what works and what doesn't !! ;) But I guess luck is with me so far. :cheers: 

AL