H.M.S. Triton (Cross Section) 1:18 Scale, started by AL

Got the 2nd Cannon Cut but had a collision between the bit and the part during a move doing an end trim!! Just nicked it a tad, a little bondo and she'll be ok.... LOL It was my Boo-Boo in some hand made gcode I did, I told the machine to move from one end to the other and drop in height at the same time, the machine is blind and so must I be at times because I didn't think about it hitting as it went to the other end... LOL  Another problem I need to work on is drilling the barrel hole, I normally use my HF mini-lathe 7x10 to bore a hole in a shaft but these Cannons are too long for the tailstock & bit to accommodate them. So I'll need to make a jig that holds the blank vertical and drill on the Cnc wood mill.

The cannons pivot shaft hole was bored from both sides, I feared a tear out of the wood as the bit came out the other side so I only bored half way, did I 180 degree rotation and bored again into the same hole location. I was a tiny bit off but close enough to make it work with no wood tear out in the poplar wood. The gcode to do that simple thing had to be coded by hand, the expensive gcode software can't do it!!! So now my gcode is getting more things to do, one step at a time, I can bore the pivot hole & trim the ends by Cnc. It's still taking roughly  2-1/2 hours to make one Cannon, not exactly production run speed by any means..... LOL :cheers:

post-11747-0-58647000-1397996859_thumb.jpg

post-11747-0-37776200-1397996881_thumb.jpg

post-11747-0-32268600-1397996899_thumb.jpg

post-11747-0-70810600-1397996918_thumb.jpg

AL :piratetongueor4:

H.M.S. Triton, 28 gun frigate (Cross Section) 1:18 Scale build in progress

Happy Easter to you and yours Ed from UA.

It's always the simple things that get you. As far as chucking something up in the lathe and cutting it to size and shape I can't see it being a lot faster than what you did, but as I have not done it yet I'm not sure.

The trunninon hole, did you code that in? Or drill some other way??

Good Luck with drilling the barrel holes and the repair.

Later Tim

Current Build -- Finishing a 1:1 House that I've been building for a while

Current Build -- Triton Cross Section

Yes Tim, I hand made the gcode for the Trunnion Hole as I described in the above post, using the 1/8" Ball nose bit ( so I wouldn't have to do a tool change) doing a pocket cut to make the 1/4" size hole.  Attacked it from both sides so I would not get any wood tear outs, had the rotary rotate the part 180 degrees and step over a tad to align with the first hole, or tried to, I was pretty close but didn't win a cigar !!.... LOL

AL 

Got the Cannon dowel jig completed!! Now I can hold the cannon blank and cnc drill the barrel hole. Made from Poplar wood and a block of Nylon.

post-11747-0-56948400-1398186345_thumb.jpg 

post-11747-0-07676500-1398186449_thumb.jpg

post-11747-0-59191200-1398186471_thumb.jpg

post-11747-0-80583600-1398186494_thumb.jpg

Also got the rear end of the Cannon just about ready to start some test cuts on!

post-11747-0-84602500-1398186586_thumb.jpg

post-11747-0-44727600-1398186610_thumb.jpg

AL :cheers:

Hey Al,

You are doing some excellent work with your cannons. Since I went on vacation to see my granddaughter, I can't help but see the last few pictures as pacifiers. LOL. Do not worry, I know that they are actually the cascabels for your cannons. I can't wait to see more progress on your build. Since we're talking cascabels, what do you think of this one? Pretty ornate isn't it?

post-8913-0-77074100-1398237281_thumb.jpg

Edited by ziled68

Ray..... Pretty cool looking, too bad I can't cut anything with that much detail at this scale. Had to re-design the baby pacifiers ( cascabels ) ... LOL The Poplar wood would not hold up without tear outs on the thin edge, so made the cut at a different place. Cutting the first test part as we speak. 

post-11747-0-82724600-1398272521_thumb.jpg

post-11747-0-96189100-1398272648_thumb.jpg

AL

Al,

You're a good sport about the pacifier comment. LOL. I believe this new design you're working on allows the cascabel to have more meat on that edge thus allowing for a smoother cut.

Just noticed that you changed your scale at some time and I missed it you were 24:1 and now your 18:1 interesting. When did you do that??

Later Tim

Shouldn't that be 1:24 or 1:18????  18:1 seems larger than life.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Tim....... a few pages ago.... LOL

OK Guys & Gals hope you all have your popcorn ready!!... here's the video of the tail end of the cannons being cut! Now I have to re-design the main body of the cannon and cut them out!

Mark..... Not sure how the posting of that 18:1 things goes but looks good to me... ;)

AL

Edited by dewalt57

You have shared a lot of interesting videos. What were the tank wheels for?? A little more info on the tank if you would?

Later Tim

Equipment and planning and programing. Your doing great. Thanks for sharing with us.

1/6 Tiger, have to ask static or RC?? More info posted else where?

Hope that you are enjoying this trip into model ship building and you do more and enjoy it.

Later Tim

Tim..... it was static display only. All the info is on a private web site unavailable to the general public unless your a member. ;) 

AL 

Those cannons look sweet.

Forgot to ask before did you make that tail stock? Looks nice.

Later Tim

Tim...... NO, the tail stock came with a 4" Rotary Indexer I have, but it works great for this project also!! Just like the 3" 3-Jaw Chuck came with my 7x10 Harbor Freight Mini-Lathe but I use it on this rotary setup for the CNC Wood MIll. I use a 5" 3-Jaw chuck on the HF Lathe which works better for me then the 3" did for holding larger size parts in its jaws.

AL 

Thanks Ray!!! I have the book "Anatomy of The Ship The 24-Gun Frigate PANDORA" and was looking closely at its Cannons, remarkable how similar they are. My TRITON Cannons are a tad thinner in the body section and I almost want to redo them so they are a little more thicker in body shape, the thickness adds to the solid, heavy look of em, but thinking on how many hours it took to cut these, I'll leave em alone and carry on with the Carriage's.... LOL  ;)  Slowly drawing up the carriage parts now, and getting ready to start cutting some wood. I'm thinking of using some Red Oak for the Carriage build and just staining them, The Cannons I'm thinking of painting with some Rust-Oleum Hammered #7218 Dark Bronze spray can paint.  

But for the rest of this evening it be foul weather here..... tornado threats, heavy rain, etc... so looks like we better keep an eye out and keep our foul weather gear close at hand till we sail into calmer waters!! :cheers:

AL   

Thanks Tim..... We got the ship's weather watch going 24 hours here and the hatch's are battened down, expecting more foul weather this evening to head our way!

Meanwhile I've been doing some sanding on the cannon ends getting them ready to glue the two parts together. 

post-11747-0-54609300-1398807330_thumb.jpg

post-11747-0-41895600-1398807338_thumb.jpg

AL

Hey Al,

I cannot help but ponder your comment about wishing you had made your cannons a wee bit beefier when I am looking at the cannons you have now and think that messing with a ship with that type of armament would be like poking a hibernating bear with a twig. I personally wouldn’t want you to open up that “Can of Whoop A$$” on me. LOL.

post-8913-0-94139500-1398827447.png

Edited by ziled68