HMS Victory by Rich.F - FINISHED - Caldercraft - Scale: 1/72

Hi rich I used what David just suggested on my Diana.

Anton T

Current build

1/78 Sovereign of the Seas - Sergal - kit bashed

1/72 Arleigh Burke class DDG flight iia/iii - Sratch built RC - no log

Waiting for further inspiration

STS Leeuwin II 1/56 scratch built (90% completed)

Previous builds - completed

1/72 HMAS Brisbane, Airwarfare Destroyer 2014 -Scratch built RC - completed

1/64 HMS Diana 1796 - caldercraft kit - completed

1/75 Friesland 1668- mamoli kit - completed

1/96 HMAS Newcastle FFG 2011- scratch built RC - completed

1/75 Vasa - Billing Boats - completed

Hello All, Thanks for the comments and Likes, as always very much appreciated. 

Trying to find a supplier for styrene Strips, and look into this, I think this will make a better finish.

Rich.

Builds in Progress:   HMS Victory

Completed Builds:   Constucto Enterprise

Future Builds 2021/2022 USS Constitution

Cornwall model boats sell evergreen styrene strips, sheets etc you name it they've got it.

Anton T

Current build

1/78 Sovereign of the Seas - Sergal - kit bashed

1/72 Arleigh Burke class DDG flight iia/iii - Sratch built RC - no log

Waiting for further inspiration

STS Leeuwin II 1/56 scratch built (90% completed)

Previous builds - completed

1/72 HMAS Brisbane, Airwarfare Destroyer 2014 -Scratch built RC - completed

1/64 HMS Diana 1796 - caldercraft kit - completed

1/75 Friesland 1668- mamoli kit - completed

1/96 HMAS Newcastle FFG 2011- scratch built RC - completed

1/75 Vasa - Billing Boats - completed

I could not wait to order part from CBS, 

So I took a strip of walnut 0.5 x 4mm hand sanded an L shape pattern, 

once glued I lightly sanded to blend in with the hull so no lip is visible, then sanded the whole strip so its not  to thick.

TBH, This is what i was thinking although every ones advice was great and helpful.

Going to be clearing up work area now, then clean up the painting on the hull and toughing up where needed. I am working on the starboard side, with anything that needs adding , I have painted the door arch parts.. ...

cheers to all 

post-123-0-08442600-1431275127_thumb.jpg

post-123-0-82620300-1431275128_thumb.jpg

Rich.

Just a small update just working on a few bit that I can do with a few hours spare.

I wanted to finish the quarter galleries. (Parts 178+73) OMG, That was such pain. I could not find any reference for the installation. I Seached and searched..  well this is how its turned out so far.

Part 73, I sanded an edge to it, it looked better that just a square edge..

post-123-0-59978300-1431374089_thumb.jpg

post-123-0-21864600-1431374096_thumb.jpg

Rich.

Hello Rich..

Sory not to have checked in with you sooner.  I don't have any excuses except pure neglect.  I do see, however, that you are well on your way to build a beautiful Victory and I'm very happy for you.  I'm also glad to see that David (Shipyard Sid) has been working with you and he's the best.  He helped me enormously and pulled me through several tight spots when i was building my victory.  So the best to you  in your endeavor.

Best,

Jerry

Just a small update,

I have make a template for the gun ports to center drill the 1.5mm hole for the gun barrels.

I have cleaned up all the gun ports, rubbed don the upper hull, re pained the gun ports, and the black on the hull.. 

I'm trying to get the starboard side finished , except for the gun port lids, , Gallery is almost complete too.

I'm need of some advice, Shell I use blacken it or paint the cannons? 

Rich.

​Well as the build continues>

I had a few problems with keeping the lines on the hull straight, ( too what i was looking for) I get paper tape form the local store. and was getting a lot of bleeding though the tape, after searching the net, I found a few references to the Tamiya tape, I found it in the local hobbies store. Can only give it a go, the results were very high, a very small bit of bleeding. Nothing to bad.

~ Not sure if at this stage to varnish with mat clear?  oh far to much to think about today....

post-123-0-05512300-1431863035_thumb.jpg

post-123-0-33123000-1431863038_thumb.jpg

post-123-0-91223200-1431863039_thumb.jpg

post-123-0-08612000-1431863042_thumb.jpg

Edited by Rich.f

Rich.

RIch, That looks really good!

Varnish will come out glossy unless it has a flattening agent added in although you can rub it down to whatever sheen you want with steel wool. It will also add an amber tint to your wood and will continue to yellow as it ages. Some people like the effect, some don't.

A good water-base clear in the sheen you prefer - you mentioned matt - won't yellow nor will it change the color of your underlying paint.  Judgment call on your part. Hope that helps.

Here in the States we have something called Frog Tape, works really well. Its very flexible and as long as you rub it down well, it won't bleed. If you decide you want to try something other than the Tamiya tape, look at an automotive paint supplier.

Another way to limit bleeding is to brush/spray a thin coat of clear after masking then lay your color down. The clear will seal the edges of the tape. Make sure your clear and color are compatible; experiment first.

Sam

Edited by src

Current Build Constructo Enterprise

Hi Rich,

I'm using that Tamiya tape all the time !

You have different sizes of it.

When you put it on the surface, go with a finger over it and you will have no bleed paint anymore (Don't know how to say it another way )

Your work so far is just great !

Sjors

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All I'm wondering if anyone can tll me or explain the best/ easiest way to glue brass to brass?

what im doing to attaching brass rings to the cannons.

cheers

Rich.

Thanks for the advice, I have tried CA, a few stuck. I have brought a 90 second epoxy. Ill see how that goes, I have added a rigged cannon to the rear starboard side. It can only get better, 

post-123-0-22668400-1433071900_thumb.jpg

Rich.

Rich, Are you gluing one ring at a time or multiples? A 90 second epoxy might kick to fast to do more than one ring at a time. If you want to do several canons at once see if you can find a 30 minute epoxy it will give you about 4-5 minutes of work time before it gels on you and is no longer workable. The longer curing epoxies are stronger also. 

The small dabs of epoxy your going to use may take a while to cure completely even the 90 sec stuff since there isn't the mass to generate the heat needed. I have been placing my parts in my oven with just the pilot light on for an hour or so and they cure up real nice. If you don't have an oven with a pilot light, you might try preheating the oven to low and then turning it off when you put your parts in. Naturally experiment first with scrap.

Cannons look good BTW.

Sam

Hello Rich,

You are producing a fine looking model.

I hope you don't mind if I comment on the rigged gun in your last post. You show the breech rope as running from the Bulwark through the ring on the cascabel and on to the other side, the rope should in fact run from the Bulwark pass through the eyelet in the side of the carriage then through the cascabel ring, it should also have more slack to allow the gun to recoil back after firing.

Regards

Gary

HI Gary, I go see what you mean, I have in fact now stripped and re rigged that gun, and it has more slack.

This is the look was hoping for just not got there yet, although im not that worried about the cannons you can see, ( post-123-0-73069000-1433669526.jpg 

I have figured you that i was using wrong size rings  (left side is the wrong size and out of scale, ( although this would aid rigging) 

so, in my normal faction, ""redo"" again.. 

post-123-0-50436100-1433669238.jpg

So after our BBQ, today ill prime and paint , etc., 

Does anyone have a good idea on the easiest way to rig the cannons, as i has tremendous trouble? As what i was thinking I have one made, pull out the rings and make them of deck, then attach when done.

Thanks for following and looking

Rich.

The only advice i would offer is from past experience , don,t waste to much time on  rigging the cannons which will not really be seen ,It can be a very frustrating process so i would keep the finer detail for the more visible one,s on the top deck , the breeching rope may be all that is necessary . As always it,s your call it depends how much detail you wish to add ???  At this scale side tackle with blocks can be difficult to get looking right . Keep up the good work , wish we had BBQ weather !!!!

Hi Rich Nice work on your ship.

I am no way an expert but so far I have found it best to tie the blocks on to the rigging first, secured with super glue, attach the eyes to the blocks as necessary and then fit the eys to the cannon. You can then thread the rigging through the blocks and suspend the cannon whilst you coil the free end around the line s between the blocks, called flemishing I think. The trick is to get the flemished lines the right length. Then when happy fir the eye bolts to the deck.  I have yet to get the length right.  I really need to add some photos to be log bu t never seem to get round to it. I will have a go now.

Rich,

Not that I am an expert by any means, but I have been rigging my canons like Peter detailed above. When I fraped/lashed my breaching rope to the rings I had off on the CA, I little gentle teasing and I could adjust the length. 

Those smaller rings look much better to my eye.

Hope this helps some. Looking forward to more.

Sam

Shihawk, Thanks for your feed back, I was 99% sure i was doing to rig every thing and do everything... but its may not happen due to the fiddly side of this, but time will tell. I'm in no rush to finish this, ( although I do have an idea for the next kit) 

Peter, Thanks for that, The Next one Im doing to off deck, to see ( we can but only try )

Sam, Thanks for that, I made side of the rope and the other I pulled to optimized length when it was in place. your right about the ring size. Looks better, I think the ones I started with was some I had fr something else that I thought was the right ones. Never mind

I have now primed some 100 ish of the rings (part480

Take care all

Rich.

Hi Rich

Just been looking through your log, looking good, great work, keep it up.

I found that the best way with cannon rigging is to do what you can on the cannon first.

Workout the thread lengths and have the rings set in them beforehand.

Then when fitting the cannon it's much easier to just glue in the rings rather than try and rig them in situ.

Nice to see another Portsmouth Victory build!!

Mine is getting very near to completion, working on a cabinet.

Cheers

Nick

• 2 weeks later...

One cannon Finished, As you can see what i have done with the rope rigging, I think it looks ok, as the rope would not have been left of the deck to rot.

Ill upload the other 4(that can be seen) when I have done them. 

post-123-0-51443000-1434906280_thumb.jpg

Rich.

Im Looking at the moment, ( as I cant do anything till next week as I'm working, then away the weekend.

post-123-0-32971200-1435594521_thumb.jpg

Can anyone tell me what the part is on the Gun port lid Please, 

Rich.