HMS Victory by Rich.F - FINISHED - Caldercraft - Scale: 1/72

Greetings All, Thank you every one for dropping by, Leaving a comment,some advice or a like, 

Schnu, Yes the hull will be painter and the copper plates added all 4500 of them give or take.

Sam, Your So right

I Have finished lining the gun ports, filled sanded and painted, I happy with it atm, Might need a bit of fine tuning when I paint the Hull, Im Going to this afternoon Line the inner gun port walls so i can paint the rest of the gun ports and paint the hull.

Tc 

post-123-0-61243700-1408891233_thumb.jpg

post-123-0-51230900-1408891241_thumb.jpg

Edited by Rich.f

Rich.

Builds in Progress:   HMS Victory

Completed Builds:   Constucto Enterprise

Future Builds 2021/2022 USS Constitution

Hi Sam, Yes it is, I thought The gun ports took a while and be come tedious, Although with the brass plates I will see a change all the time. 

Rich.

Hi Rich 

I am about to line my gun ports and have just posted this on my log.  Since doing this post I have looked at the size of the lids and they are the same size as the openings in the hull so if i do it my way all the openings need to be enlarged!!! I would appreciate your thoughts

On the subject of gun port linings. I am just about to line the gun ports on the upper gun deck.

I have seen much discussion on this web site and I have John McKay's, Anatomy of the Ship on Victory.  Looking at this book it seems the linings on this upper deck, ports 3 to 10 have linings visible on the outside so they project forward of the first planking and the second planking runs into the side of the lining. Page 10 of the instruction manual seems to say the second planking goes over the outer edge of the linings. In this case the linings are hidden.

McKay shows a similar detail on the ports with lids where one can see the out edge of the linings around the ports, with the planking again running into the side of the linings. The lids in McKay sit inside the linings. I have not yet checked to see if the lids actually fit inside the linings.

It would be good practice for the linings to protect the end grain of the planking assuming marine detailing is similar the building construction.

I have a problem where on my build where the line of the cills of the upper gun deck on the outer skin is lower than on the inner bulwark and the linings would slope down from inside to outside. The difference is less front and rear than in the middle. I have decided to lower the cill on the inner bulwark a little so the slope on the cill linings is less pronounced.  :huh:

Peter

Hi Peter,

Ill copy this to your log also,

on the upper gun ports, Ports number 3-10 Need to be line before you do the 2nd player of hull planking.. I found the I need to Open all the gun ports,  (What I did was take a lid,part no 323-324, and use that as a template opened up before I planed the Hull)

Once you have planked the hull, Line the lower 2 rows of gun ports with 1x6mm  the upper ones are 1x16mm  ""don't forget to set back by 1mm, As i was also informed get a few lenths of balsa strips about 3.2x3.2mm  to line the inside so the linings ave something better to hold.

With regards to the linings not matching up I think this is a design flaw, This is from a Post David"Shipyardsid" sent me >

Trim the underside of the bulwark pattern until the outer hull and inner bulwark cills are level, then trim the top until the bulwark pattern fit in with the gun ports level. Don't worry about the bulwark patterns being a bit slack if you overdo it , It all gets planked and hidden. It's a good idea to make up a gun carriage and use the barrel as a gauge if you follow, but remember you need some planking strip under the wheels as your deck is not yet planked. Once you get the deck and bulwark patterns both planked fit a thin trim as an edging if you follow. I have added a photo to help you understand, but will delete if you tell me. Sorry to be long winded. 

I think this is  all, If you need anythng else or cant understand me ( most people don't) LOL Give me a shout 

Rich.

Greetings All, Thank you every one for dropping by, Leaving a comment advice or a like, 

As i have had 3 whole days of work and nothing planed, I of course spent my time watching movies and working on the ship I have now primed and painted the starboard  side only. after priming re going over with filler where needed, then the top coats, Reather happy with it now.

Over the next week or two, i'll work on the port side once this it done ill at the black strip so they match up.

Tc all,

post-123-0-83988100-1408998891_thumb.jpg

post-123-0-15882200-1408998893_thumb.jpg

Edited by Rich.f

Rich.

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings All, Thank you every one for dropping by, Leaving a comment advice or a like, 

Quarter Windows, I have done a bit of research on this, I have read what others have done, and tried my own way,

I had a go at just the plastic that came with the kit. I did not get the look I wanted, I found and ordered "Micro Kristal Klear"

The Pictures attached. is the first attempt, Although they are above the 1/4 inch recommended, It can be done.  I'm happy with the result I'm now just waiting on the rest to dry, I'm going to give it a full two days to dry fully, ( although this does not dry to a hard finish, it is a strong rubbery.

post-123-0-08445400-1409862041_thumb.jpg

post-123-0-10762700-1409862043_thumb.jpg

post-123-0-88841700-1409862043.jpg

Rich.

Sam>    Toothpick are underneath, as my first attempt, they stuck to the table, so just wanted to lift them off.

Shihawk:> good idea, going to give that at try :)

Lawrence :> Only Time will tell. But does look nice than just plastic sheet.

: I have Now added two of them, but just to busy atm  with work to do any more, aill have to wait till next week to do any work.

Rich.

I have been working on these cannon base's for a few days now, Since I took the picture I have cleaned them up a bit more.

Im not sure if i should use blaken it, or just hand paint.? something to think about over the weekend. I'll be working back on the main build tomorrow night.

post-123-0-85569000-1410463796_thumb.jpg

post-123-0-32414300-1410463826_thumb.jpg

Rich.

Greetings All, Thank you every one for dropping by, Leaving a comment advice or a like.

Just a small update, base painted the Gallary Windows, With Primer and a coat of Orge Yellow.  And I have started on the brass plates. Very slow atm, till I get the hang of it. Ill upload a few pictures later.

Rich.

Greetings All, Thank you every one for dropping by, Leaving a comment advice or a like.

Just a few Copper tiles to start with, 100 So far that was over 5 hours. ( was watching Tv )

post-123-0-06715600-1410814509_thumb.jpg

post-123-0-28028600-1410814511_thumb.jpg

Rich.

Hi Shihawk. Thank for stopping by.

Having a Tv is a distraction. But I build in living room so I can multi task.

Spend time on build.

Spend time with wife.

Spend time on build and catchibg up on my tv when shes working.

Oh the stress of life. Lol

Rich.

Greetings All, Thank you every one for dropping by, Leaving a comment advice or a like.

Peter, I guessed a proxamite the center, built a few planks left and right and 3 high, with about a 10" × 5X1mm strip, made sure it had not warped,(Used a mirror),

Laid it on top of the few i had already glued, yep, my guide line.

My plan is to finish 6 high on the starboard side and the mirror image the port, then repeate 6x high,

Although,, laying in bed(2324)gmt, wondering if I should have started at the top so a nice edge patten will be visible. ?.

Edited by Rich.f

Rich.

I found this high definition picture ( http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/0c/HMS_Victory_%28ship%2C_1765%29_-_stern_view.JPG/1280px-HMS_Victory_%28ship%2C_1765%29_-_stern_view.JPG%C2'> on the internet which I think shows the copper plates being cut to run into the stringer as per Jokata instructions. It also shows the gun port linings well.

It looks like you can drive yourself made doing this!

Rich,

The coppering looks great to my eye! Your experiences with the Enterprise are showing up here, your applying Lessons Learned. Me likey! 

Your a more talented or more patient man than myself, there is no way I could work while Better Half watched TV in the same room, I cant even have a conversation with her when I am working!

Sam

Current Build Constructo Enterprise

Greetings All, Thank you every one for dropping by, Leaving a comment advice or a like.

I have received  some advice and not like how the tiles have came out so far, I'm going to rip and "do a redo" I have ordered 300 tiles from CMB, Far more than needed but just in case.  this time im going to take a different approach by starting at the time on the water line.

If any one else has any ideas or what ever, Nows a good time to say

Rich.

Some use copper strips and then cut later for size.

I use them for lighting and model railways, but good so I am told for this type of work, you can lay a full length, then cut to size.

This is if you do not want the bolts holding the copper.

Just a thought!!!!

foxy :piratebo5:

Peter > See Pictures :)

Glennard > That's what I said to the wife, No ones perfect and if very one did it the same and to the book, No ship would be unique :)

Foxy > I have see that before, I personally don't think it the look i'm after.

Sam > I do try to er... keep quiet :P  ( do i dare say it with out offending the fellow female builders)  .... NO.. to scared ....

post-123-0-84456100-1411415938_thumb.jpg

post-123-0-83428700-1411415949_thumb.jpg

post-123-0-61635800-1411415957_thumb.jpg

Rich.