HMS Victory by Rich.F - FINISHED - Caldercraft - Scale: 1/72

Just came home from work to find this, Brought by the Wife post-123-0-79593500-1411577855_thumb.jpg

Edited by Rich.f

Rich.

Builds in Progress:   HMS Victory

Completed Builds:   Constucto Enterprise

Future Builds 2021/2022 USS Constitution

Hi Rich,

I follow you for a while in silence and I'm impressed with what you are doing.

About the copperplates, take a look at my log about the Agamemnon

I just finished the copperplates on her.

Maybe it gives you any idea's.

The row what goes against the waterline there are two ways to do it.

One as I did it and the other one ( I believe it is common on the Victory ) lay a straight line against the waterline.

Or 2 rows.

Then you have a nice straight line .

Sjors

Greetings All, Thank you every one for dropping by, Leaving a comment advice or a like.

Tim> Yes. 

Sjors> Your build looks great  I also Have kept an eye on yours. Im working on the second  why, A straight line pattern Its going to be more what im looking for. 

Rich.

Greetings All, Thank you every one for dropping by, Leaving a comment advice or a like.

With Ref to V2.0 of my copper plating, I have done a lot better job and achieved the look looking for, even in V1.0 well to a point. Except for to curve on the bow I rather wanted the Nailed look to continue round but was unable to due to the curvature, But I have slept on it came back to it and like it so im not going to even try to attempt to change it.

I started my center line on the center of the door catch, ( thought i made sense ) very thing else just fell into place,

So far on V2.0 I'm on 21.5 hours, (not that i timing it) :P

Well I have the rest of today to lay one or to copper plates.  Oh Btw, I have noticed that a few plates are thicker than others until i found there are two or three stuck together.

post-123-0-86260400-1411885088_thumb.jpg

post-123-0-61551800-1411885095_thumb.jpg

Rich.

i achieved much better results on my 5th attempt - still not perfect but i tried

i took advice from the keith jullier book i found the centre on the ship at the waterline and fixed 7 rows of 5 offset tiles

then i continued fwd and aft from the 7th row - whilst keeping parallel with the keel, this brought me back to the waterline, then filled in

at about 11 rows down i then went from the keel upwards and this ensured the gore-line was hidden under the waist of the build,

my biggest headache was matching the stern so both sides looked the same

Edited by Kevin

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Greetings rich

Well done. It's coming on fine. Yep I totally agree with Kevin's advice. I would build a few rows down of five or so wide and then build them around to the bow and stern. You can make fine adjustments as you go, as you are laying a wide band of tiles if you follow, and you can better control the run of your tiles. Yep your doing fine.......DAVID

Been slow on tiles this week due to the slip of a sharp knife last Sunday while scoring the tiles. Still but painful oh well, Just finished painting the Bathroom to keep the Lady of the House happy.

im slowly working on the advice, I have tiled 8 down now working aft and stern in turn, Ill upload Pictures later when  I have finished for the day

Rich.

After almost 8 hours solid today I have achieved a good amount of tiles Rather Happy with the look so far.

Goes anyone know how to shine them?

post-123-0-85683700-1412538183_thumb.jpg

post-123-0-41960300-1412538187_thumb.jpg

post-123-0-34649000-1412538192_thumb.jpg

Rich.

unless you want them to look pristine you don't need to varnish them, you might (just might) find it to bright in the long term

Edited by Kevin

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Rich

I have only just stumbled across your build.

Such a shame I didn't see it earlier.

Just spent some time going right through.

Your Vic is looking great and you seem to be making excelent progress.

It's funny how many times i thought 'oh yeah i remember having a problem with that as well'

Anyway best of luck with the rest of your tiles, looking good so far

Nick (fellow pompeyite)

Welcome Nick, Thanks for your comment.

Just a small update, Well I have done a fair amount, But I have decided to do a redo, I'm not going to start this for a few weeks as me and the family are a way, But ill start the stripping this weekend.

I'm just not happy how they have turned out, I'm going to do a few drawings on the layout etc to ill update a few pictures soon when i have done some more tiles.

If anyone as the answer for ties love to here from you.

TC

Rich.

Hi Rich,

with regard to laying the copper plates, if you can reference Longridge's book " The Anatomy of Nelson's ships" you will find he discusses coppering on page 54 and there is also an illustration on page 36 which shows the run of the plates. They are laid in two bands an upper and lower band. I followed this method by starting at the waterline in the middle of the ship. I laid eight tiles at the water line then another eight offset by 50% below those and continued in this manner until I had seven rows laid in the middle of the ship. From there using a straight edge, like a ruler, I continued on from the last row, filling in up to the waterline as I went, until I was close to the bow and the stern, the straight edge ensures the tiles remain in line and by filling in above, small adjustments can be made to correct any alignment issues. I used a slow setting glue called Weldbond it is a glue made in Canada by Frank T Ross LTD. They have a website www.weldbond.com you may find a supplier in the UK if you contact them and wish to use the product.

Hope this helps

Gary

HI Gary, Thanks Very Much for the information, I'm going to look in to ordering this book, I think I looked into it a while ago, as for glue, Ill also have a look at there web site.

Rich.

Yes one of the best informative books for this ship, plus Anatomy of Victory.

These two books help for all aspects of this ship.

'Now time to go back to sleep' :rolleyes: 

Frank :piratebo5:

Edited by foxy

Thank you every one for dropping by, Leaving a comment advice or a like.

Have ordered the "anatomy of Nelson" £25.46 @ Amazon. Should be here on Monday or Tuesday. 

Foxy ? 1023 and you want more Sleep LOL

Rich.

Thank you every one for dropping by, Leaving a comment advice or a like.

HI, will It took only 15 minutes to get the tiles off, sad moment but oh well. I;m Re ready and re primed the hull for after my Holiday to the US, 

The Book that i was informed off "Anatomy of Victory"  should arrive Monday so ill have read of this next week..

post-123-0-66403800-1413653999_thumb.jpg

post-123-0-85649000-1413654000_thumb.jpg

Rich.

HI everyone, im after a question to be answered, The black strips on the hull, does anyone know the layout for them as i can't find any thing for it. 

I'm trying to find something to do with out making mess as I have have HAD" to clean the house (wife orders)

TC

Rich.

Hi John Thanks for that. I'll look into that see if we are able to get this over here

HI Peter,Yes the black bands, I have to a few tough up then ill up load a few pictures,, As for the copper plates, I Did not like how they sat with the pattern, but Lawrence said, "practice makes perfect"   Want it to look great not just ok. So need to make it right I have a few ideas when I get back from the trip to the USA

Rich.