Greek Bireme by bensid54 - FINISHED - RADIO

The finished product, one picture shows Allen screws and a wrench, that is for assembling the rack halves. I tried to operate it but forgot how so now I'll have to get that figured out, next time I'll write down how I work this thing. Anyway this is the end of the road as far as building goes but maintenance and sea trials will be next. Thanks to all that commented and gave input, next on the burner will be Charon the boat man of the river Styx!

post-12226-0-05025200-1451273246_thumb.jpg

post-12226-0-00831700-1451273249_thumb.jpg

post-12226-0-28984200-1451273251_thumb.jpg

post-12226-0-41101100-1451273253_thumb.jpg

post-12226-0-66708700-1451273255_thumb.jpg

post-12226-0-91310200-1451273257_thumb.jpg

I looks great, Ben.   I hope you'll post the sea trials. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Congratulations, well done on a fine project.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Looks awesome, and I love the carrying case! Congrats on a job well done.

~ Ben

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

Current Builds:

'Doll-Boat' - 1:12 scale 40' Cruising Sailboat

S.S. Edmund Fitzgerald - 1:350 plastic kit w/ Photo Etch Parts (On Hold)

• 1 month later...

It looks gorgeous in the photos and probably even better in person.  I hope the sea trials go well.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 3 months later...

First sailing after completion, a major amount of adjustments needs to be made to the radio such as channel assignment and servo travel. I also need to change the rudder system, so Charon will be put on hold until I get this one perfected. It is at least water tight and the only water that came in was from oar splashing. WARNING: Video is very painful to watch!

I liked it.  Very maneuverable...  What did I miss that makes it painful?  

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Trying to operate it!

:D  :D  :D   I daresay you're right... rudder, left side, right side, forward, reverse.. I wouldn't want to try it but I like watching it.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Hi Willie

Love it!  Apart from the minor technical issues, (of which only you would know about, because you're the operator), the only way that your video could be any better would be to sail her in a more natural setting.  Perhaps a lake, or the river, where the colour of the water isn't so clear. That'd be far more realistic.

But, that's nitpicking, of course.  Damn marvellous job you've done!

All the best

Patrick

You have a speed boat of a bireme.  I doubt the rowers ever moved that fast.  Slowing your motor to scale speed will probably give you better control. 

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Thanks for the input Guys! Bob you are right about the speed that can be part of the tweaking I'm going to have to do some rewiring and change the rudders to be more effective so not just radio work to be done. Patrick I bought a fishing rod to retrieve the boat in a more natural setting once I get it stuck on my maiden sea voyage! It's been fun but will be much more fun once I get the bugs worked out. Walter thanks for the compliment this thing has been about a year and a half of dedication so it is almost at the place I want it.

This is much better, I had to change the model configuration from airplane mode to helicopter mode H3 which means three servos work in unison on the swash plate. Two of the swash plate channels are being used for the two speed controls on the pitch cycle which inputs each speed control equally on the pitch function. They are influenced to work opposite to each other when you use the elevator/aileron stick which raises one side and lowers the other or speeds one side up over the other. This function will allow the oars to move or go faster on one side or the other  

Super, Ben.  I agree with Greg on the engineering feat.   She will be a sure fire hit on any lake or pond you take her to.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds: