Greek Bireme by bensid54 - FINISHED - RADIO

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the compliments, next I will be finishing the oars then making the drive will begin.  I had to have the oars done first so I can make sure they go to the right depth and plan the arc the oars will need to take when entering and exiting the water, that is going to be the meat and potatoes of this build..

As some will know I do enjoy a mechanical challenge so this build is really getting interesting now.

As in the previous posts you can see how the two halves of the ship met, I was trying to drill in that location but my choice of wood however did not want to co-operate. The result was too much repair work was needed if I carried on down that path, so I came up with a new plan. Like the kit models I ran a solid plank down both sides of the ship, epoxied it in place then drilled for better results and much less repair work. A little side note here that may interest some, I rarely build from a kit, I rarely build something that isn't RC and I never have a set in stone direction as to how my builds will progress. During my builds I normally think three steps ahead and have often had to change direction, normally for the better but not always, those ones are the projects I scrap. So if you wonder where my builds are going, most of the time I have an idea where I want them to end but a whole lot of different paths on how to get there I just don't always know which path I'll take.

post-12226-0-48912200-1417725453_thumb.jpg

post-12226-0-27683300-1417725470_thumb.jpg

post-12226-0-92264900-1417725485_thumb.jpg

The oar rack and how it will function, the pivoting rack will lift the oars in and out of the water, The oars will swing back and forth by pivoting on the vertical rack pins. The pivot pins at the ends of the rack will have the ability to be removable by spreading the drilled tabs at the ends of the driven member and allow the complete set of oars to be lifted out.

post-12226-0-53908500-1417824894_thumb.jpg

post-12226-0-72930500-1417824909_thumb.jpg

post-12226-0-80751400-1417824923_thumb.jpg

post-12226-0-30109800-1417824941_thumb.jpg

Edited by bensid54

The existing oar ports would not allow the oars to go deep enough into the water so I removed them, the next oar ports are going to be removable. If you are wondering about the shiny patches on the hull that would be epoxy I had left over that I rubbed into the cracks between the planks. I think I'm going to get a fast boat to play with this summer coming because I'm starting to wonder if I will finish this on time for summer.

post-12226-0-96998200-1417975215_thumb.jpg