Willie L Bennett by Ol' Pine Tar - Model Shipways – Scale 1:32

Thanks Russ and Steve for the comments.

Russ, I rummaged around the mrr paint stock and found some Scalecoat mineral red that I'll probably use for the bottom.

Steve, Thanks for dropping in on the build. Being an old model railroader, everything I've built for the last 40 years has been weathered, the more the better. So for a change, I wanted this first build to have the look of a "recent restoration." I would imagine sometime in the future you'll see an old beat up weathered boat on my workbench.

Sorry folks, but no pics this post. We'll get that caught up in the next post. I did get the small deck hatch and the steering gear housing finished. I'll need to locate the samson post and mast locations before I place anything on the deck.

I also worked on the caprails and guard rails, cutting them from basswood stock, soaking and preforming them. I shaped the guard rails, painted them and glued them on the hull. I then drilled a couple of holes through into the hull and pinned them with some .020 brass wire.

To get the stanchion holes lined up on the caprails and the sheers, I taped them down to the sheers, marked the stanchion locations and drilled through both at the same time. That's sort of where we're at for now.

So, as always, thanks to everyone for your interest and comments!

"It ain't gonna be no masterpiece so get on with it." ~ DeAnne Malpas, Professor of British History

Regards,

Len

Current build: La Belle Poule 1932 - Dusek 1:50

• 1 month later...

A bit more progress... Assembled the winder, marked off the waterline and painted the bottom of the hull. Deck structures are just sitting on the deck, making sure they'll fit. Cool sign in the background is Father's Day gift from the Girlies. That's about it for now. Thanks everyone for your interest and comments.

post-10486-0-93138000-1404347087_thumb.jpgpost-10486-0-02977000-1404347107_thumb.jpg

"It ain't gonna be no masterpiece so get on with it." ~ DeAnne Malpas, Professor of British History

Regards,

Len

Russ, Thanks! for your comments. - The winder is painted. I scrubbed the parts with a toothbrush and toothpaste, then soaked them in white vinegar to etch them a bit. I assembled it with zap-a-gap CA and sprayed it with Scalecoat "Steam Power Black" which is actually a very dark grey. Finished it off with a couple shots of Testor's "Dullcote"

Regards,

Len

Very few people forget that as you scale down the shading changes. I would call this the Grey affect. I am happy you took this into account.

David B

Len,

Enjoying your build log.  Really like the textures you added to the cabin houses (I'm assuming you added that).  In the kit, were you supposed to plank the deck that way or was that your own innovation?  I'm doing the Sharpie Schooner by Midwest (another sharp chined hull) and my deck planking was simulated with etching.  Hindsight, I think I would have preferred planking as you did. 

Josh

Thanks, Russ, David, Josh

Josh - The plans call for planking the deck with individual planks, which I did. I sort of cheated on the deck structures though, using Northeastern Scale Lumber scribed sheeting for them.

Regards,

Len

Looking great.  I hope to do as well.  FedEx has my Willie!  I already know your log will be of much help.  This will be my first build ever.  Well, best wishes.

Don't you worry about it.  I'm working on it.

• 2 weeks later...

Could someone tell me how the heck I can get my pictures into my log posts?   Either my PC has a bug or the site has a secret handshake about it.  The image icon does not insert image, but rather asks for an url & locks up the whole page.   Thanks.

Len,

Thanks for the info on posting pictures.  For some reason I couldn't find anything about it via the Help button.  Anyways, my pics aren't very high tech, but I hope to showcase my mistakes & whatever solutions come from others who are doing the Willie Bennett. 

By the way, your treatment of the winder is incredible.  I'd spent hours trying to identify all the little parts for it as I inventoried my box.

• The title was changed to Willie L Bennett by Ol' Pine Tar - Model Shipways – Scale 1:32