Help on wiring motor for sander project.

Hi all,

I'm thinking of building a variable speed sander and/or table saw. My thoughts were to combine this motor with a bench mandrel and go from there. However, I have a question on how to wire it.

The motor comes with a speed controller, but needs to have a control circuit (basically a  pot) wired into it. I can usually follow a wiring diagram, but this one has me stumped. The first link is to the motor/speed controller unit. The second link is to the image of the wiring diagram. 

It looks like I should be using a 5k pot, but then do I solder on additional resistors to terminal one and three? Also, the table lists what looks like alternative 'controller wiring' options. It's all very confusing to me. Before I pull the trigger, I thought I would see if I could get some clarification here.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.skycraftsurplus.com/fld-5380motordcwspeedcontrol.aspx

http://www.skycraftsurplus.com/images/view.aspx?productId=5216&index=2

Thanks, Chris.

Yes, solder the resistors to the pot as shown.  They prevent there from being a dead short from 1 to 2 or 2 to 3 when the pot is at the end of rotation.  The resistance is the minimum amount to protect the circuit.  A greater resistance will affect the amount of speed you can control.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray