Trawler Syborn by popeye the sailor - 1:33 - Finished

thank for the good word and looking in Daniel.  this is the second ship of my experiment,  seeing if I could replicate hulls,  using the parts panels from kits.   with the M&M build......I would say it was a success.   I'd still be working on this one,  if it wasn't for the build explosion.

I guess it's my problem.......I see so many builds I want to do.....I go nutz ;)   I'm hoping to take advantage of the dwindled builds....perhaps pull this one out from time to time and put some work into it......even if it's just to install what I already have assembled.

thanks!  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

• 4 months later...

Hello Popeye :P

Workers on strike again?

Cheers

Paul    :10_1_10:

NEVER RETREAT - NEVER SURRENDER

JUST DO IT YOUR WAY AND NEVER LOOK BACK

Current Build:

1:72nd German WWII Heavy Battle Cruiser DKM Scharnhorst http://modelshipworld...1:72ndDKMScharnhorst/

Future Build Logs:

German WWII Captured Flower Class Corvette.

German WWII Armed Trawler.

German WWII Aircraft Carrier - Graf Zeppelin.

hi Paul!

I thought this build was forgotten...........it will return though.   I have been working on the Gothenborg and the Half Moon......this poor soul, as well as the Boulogne Etaples,  seem to have been thrown on the back burner.  I do apologize for that....I am working towards finishing off all these builds I have kicking around.   it was a combination of imagination and impulse that got me into this.  I will see what I can do towards putting some type of progress report together for her,  so you can see where I am on her.   thanks for reminding me......LOL!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

1) The Gothenborg   

2) The Half Moon 

3) The Boulogne Etaples 

4) The Trawler Syborn

Four?  Is that all you have partially completed now?

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

yepper Bob...........that seem to be a good line-up :)     with the Boulogne Etaples though.......I'm kinda waiting for Borge to finish up on his Dragen.....he's going to be doing a re-furb to his.  I just figured I'd get a jump on mine before he starts his.  it's a good thing that I did....a few of the parts do not line up too good.   mainly,  it's the stern and the raised area on the deck.........I have plans though,  so it's a small problem.     "this looks like a job for..........."Bashman"!!!!! :)

the Half moon is another  one to really look at.  Billing's doesn't include gun ports and other details that I have seen.........I'm currently thinking on ways to put them in.   the best way I can see to do it at this point,  is get the hull in order first,  and put them in after.  I've done some research,  but I want to do more......and get more pictures of the actual ship at the same time. 

the Gothenborg is as you see her........I'm really happy to be finally rigging her.  there are a few more aspects I want to put into her,  but at the same time,  I don't want to stop the rigging process to do them.   I may just say the heck with some of them and finish her off.  I really feel like this ship deserves to be done in a larger scale.......I'm quite compelled to do just that!   I have all these pictures,  and I can't see letting them go to waste {I owe my thanks to too many people}.   still a question when this will happen....but it will,  you can count on it!

the Syborn trawler........poor soul........is just sitting on my shelf.   I got the parts I needed for her,  but I used some of them on the lobsie twins.  when Billing USA closed,  I recieved a few odds and ends that they had lying around......I may have enough to replace what I used :)   I was short on wood.......which I now have plenty of.......so progress simply hinges now on finding time to work on her.   this has also been made harder......I don't have my second table any more :( ......... had to make the painful decision in a bid to make the room more.......navigationally friendly.   there is more to the story,  something I am working on........if it happens,  believe me.....it will be a good read  :)

.........but you forgot about the United States Bob.   this big girl is still waiting in the wings.   I have the gun deck all prepped out,  but I haven't done any planking yet.   I might have just enough to do the gun deck.........I need to order more.....3mm wide is going to equate into a lot of planking.   one thing I can do,  is prep the spar deck and see how much of the gun deck will be shown.  at 1:96 scale,  there is parts of the deck that will be hard to see.   I may also limit the amount of cannons that will be displayed with open gun ports...the bridle ports are a given....no guns.  there are quite a few Connie builds I have been watching,  and I'm sure that these two ship are similar in a lot of ways...the big difference is in the stern with these two.   these are just a couple of things I'm looking at so far....still tossing around what I want to add and what not to......the fact that I'm doing some of the build in wood,  is really going to put a spin on it.

so......that's where I am on these builds.  all is still well on the wharf.......started out so well in the beginning of the summer,  but time sure fleeted on me toward the end of it.  fall is comming,  and soon it will be winter.........if for any reason,  this would be the only one that I'm looking forward to it for.......it's said to be a nasty one this year!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Quite a list, but what grabbed me was,

"this looks like a job for..........."Bashman"!!!!!   

OH BOY!  OH BOY!  Can I watch?   Can I?      Can I?       Pleeeease?  :)  :) 

Bob

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

to bad I can't click the like button but once......I laughed like hell when I saw you post :D :D :D :D :D

of course you can watch..........front row!    and I'll even name tag your seat! ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

WOW! Popeye, You're the best.

what can I say...........I like to pay it forward ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I decided to take a short break from the Gothenborg,  to do a little on the Syborn.......I guess I felt a little guilty,  for neglecting her for so long.  I still have to do some touchups from since I've done the hull paint,  but I'll take care of it while I have her out.   I had made up the outer part of the upper deck platform,  with the last of my flat stock.   I have more now,  but I chose to use what I had done already.

post-612-0-23042500-1380763633_thumb.jpg

I do have a small inconsistancy with the height of the lower structure,  but I went ahead and put a second coat of white on it and cemented on the doors.

post-612-0-04884000-1380763780_thumb.jpg

I also cemented in the aft cabin doors as well.

post-612-0-90975000-1380763796_thumb.jpg

I used a compass to mark the outer lip...and made the cut.

post-612-0-46673400-1380763903_thumb.jpg

....and after a little more sanding,  dry fitted it into place

post-612-0-51410000-1380763969_thumb.jpg

I did another mock-up of the bow.   it will be planked,  and will have railings,  instead of bulwark walls

post-612-0-74692800-1380764110_thumb.jpg

I have a couple of extra vents....in case I need them,   but I think two will be enough.   I have a few more things I still want to do......I continued with the lower structure,  adding in the railing molding.

post-612-0-70659400-1380764373_thumb.jpg

I hope to add more to her soon. 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

And now we have to look at this one  :D  :D  :D  :D

Great progress again Popeye !

How about the camera and microphone??????????

When it takes just as long as the build, we talk to each other in 2020  :D  :D  :D

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

Hey Popeye, I'm glad to see you making some headway with your Syborn. I like the colors you have on her so far. This is going to be real sharp when you are finished with it.

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

thank you Sjors.....it's about time I threw a little love at this poor girl :)    I know.....money has been tight lately,  but I'll be up and running soon........I promise!   you'll be the first to know!!! ;)

thanks Mij.......this is my third scratch vessel.   would have been my second,  except the admiral wanted her M&M boat.    nice to have you looking in.......enjoy  ;)

thanks Patrick........can't believe it's been since May,  that I've done anything with her.   I'd tie a string 'round my finger' so I wouldn't forget again.........but I'd probably rig myself to a build by mistake :D :D :D     got a bit more to do..thanks for looking in.

Edited by popeye the sailor

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

So, Popeye.......given any thought to what you're going to start once you finish these 5 :D  :D

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

that's simple Augie...........SOMETHING BIG :D :D :D :D :D       it's going to take some time to get through what I have on my plate at the moment.....winter's coming,  I'll have more time ;)     things are going slow for the moment....just have to get my butt in gear and get a move-on.  you've compelled me to put a list in order......this is my wish list for the extreme future.   it is somewhat in the order in which I would like to do them

1:     the multi-build.   no,  I haven't forgotten about them.....at the moment I have one set of frames done,  and the keel parts fro the other two.   there will be three in the set....undecided if they will be the same,  or different in some way,  touching os different aspects of the same subject.  they will be unique.....I will say.

2:     Gothenborg 2.   I want to revisit this ship.  I have so much information on her....it would be silly not to.   I'm going to take the parts diagrams and blow them up......big-time.   the window discrepancies in the stern,   the poop deck ladder misplacements,  and any other misgivings that I have found,  can all be corrected and will enable me to go more into detail.  it's going to be a long build

3:     the ???????.   this is one that I had mentioned,  but haven't said too much on.  I recieved some odds and ends from Tom And Susan when they closed Billing USA.   this was all in one bag.   seeing the parts that were in it,  I did some searching to see what ship they belong to.......I was shocked to say the least.   the funny thing about this,  is that I have the plans for this ship,  and I plan to do the same thing that I want to do with the Gothenborg.......blow the parts panel diagrams up to 1:1 with the model,  and utilize all the parts that I have.......the rest I'll scratch build.   the hull can also be fitted to create other ships as well......like the Cutty Sark...or even the Thermoplyae........with minor modifications,  of course ;)      one day soon,  I will mass all these parts together,  and show you what I have..........it would be a great thread for  'name that ship'  :D :D :D

as you can see,  a lot of the future is aimed at scratch building.   it's not intentional....it's just the way the cookies are crumbling.  saving all these parts panels opens a lot of doors for me.........I can take the keel strip from one kit,  switch the bow and {or stern} parts,  and come up with an entirely different ship.  the possibilities are endless.   I kinda like it......you never know what you'll see at the Wharf  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

the gap between the side walls and the upper deck platform is only 1mm or so.   checking this out a bit further,  I find that the curvature of the deck,  in relation to the structure,  is what's causing this.  it was decided that,  rather than to tear anything up and cause additional problems,  I chose to shim up the walls and repair them later.   this is going to be minor.   cutting and bending two pieces of planking,  they were tapered at one end and then cemented to the tops of the walls.

post-612-0-71957700-1380978753_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-95943400-1380978763_thumb.jpg

when these two were dry,  they were sanded further to bring the taper down to a point.   the platform was check fitted at different points of the process,  to attain the flat fit.   during all this,  the structure was also made ready for the time when the assembly can be all put together.  the front molding was put on,  trimmed,  and touched up.

post-612-0-58365900-1380979259_thumb.jpg

the portholes were then dry fitted in to see how they would look.

post-612-0-82958300-1380979315_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-68650200-1380979325_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-39130300-1380979336_thumb.jpg

I was not happy to see this........the port side door is upside down!   in removing it,  it was damaged and had to be redone......but I made the correction ;)

post-612-0-47149800-1380979437_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-59274500-1380979448_thumb.jpg

I used the window maker to create the windows in the portholes.

post-612-0-77152300-1380979506_thumb.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

when the portholes were dry enough,  they were cemented in place.   there are also the brass hand rails that needed to be installed as well.......here is a before and after shot.

post-612-0-20801300-1380979738_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-93741600-1380979759_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-88204600-1380979781_thumb.jpg

the port side door corrected.

post-612-0-53064100-1380979812_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-31110700-1380979825_thumb.jpg

I had to leave this open over night.......I'm not really sure if the CA will cloud the window maker.  between you and me.....I'd rather not find out.   once I can get to the table,   I can see how things went,  and perhaps movetowards the final step of this assembly.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

You must be happy that you see the door the other way around now and not when someone see it and tells you  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

Again great work Popeye !!!!!

Soon finished ??????  :P  :P

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

still a ways to go yet Sjors.........I have to make the helm room,  the bow,  and everything on the deck.  I have two gallows from the Nordkap booty,  but I'm not really happy with them.......I may make a set from wood.   yea......the camera showed me the door....I was not pleased with my missing that.   but, it was a quick fix........no problems!  it would have been just as well if someone had told me.......it would have shown that I am human,  and that they cared enough to point it out.  either way,  it would have been a win / win situation.  :)   it's been nice to work on her again......any progress made is a good thing  ;)     thanks for the good word Sjors........always a pleasure when you look in  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Nice work, Popeye.  Love the handrail.

Bob

thanks Bob........there's more to come ;)   once all this is done.........there will be plenty of baubles to go on!   thanks for the good word.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Popeye, you're amazing.  Love your 'to do' list.  Would take me 3 lifetimes.

Oh, glad you caught the port side door.  Would have looked like something off of one of my builds :D  :D.  It's amazing how we can focus so intently on an area and then pull something like that.  But I think we all appreciate laughing at ourselves.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

thanks Augie.......that must have been the door that leads to the twilight zone......    keep telling myself to slow down....but you know how that goes  :)  

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

thanks John........I hope to have a bit more of an update soon  {hopefully tonight}.   I was looking at my folders of pictures that I have on her........the last one I did was in may of 2012.  I find that hard to believe.......but I date my folders.   all this is telling me,  is I had better move my butt.....and catch up!    thanks for the good word.

"I promise......no more peach brandy before a build.....I swear!"

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

had to run an errand to get a special tool for the Izuzu SUV....too long a story to get into.  the brief of it all is the simple addage:  "that'll teach you!"   {they don't have an emoticon for this} ;)

anyway.....when I got back,  it was close for supper.   I did some baking,  so I'd have snacks for work tomorrow.......and I made my famous steak and cheeze subs.  I played with the food budget and bought some frozen peppers and onions............for these though,  I bought fresh veggies.   I'll never buy frozen again!   I instructed the admiral to kick me,  if I ever put stuff like that in the cart again!!!

wind back before I left................the shims were dry enough to sand,  so I shaped them ......mainly on the inside.  I'll get to the outside after the deck platform is cemented on.

post-612-0-28997700-1381023946_thumb.jpg

the lower structure is cemented in place.  I used some odds and ends to strengthen it.

post-612-0-29014300-1381024037_thumb.jpg

the underside of the deck platform was painted.

post-612-0-85898900-1381024078_thumb.jpg

when I got back from my errand,  I checked and saw that the glue had dried fairly well.

post-612-0-42265700-1381024160_thumb.jpg

so.........on went the platform!   I used whatever I could get my hands on to weight it down.

post-612-0-52183400-1381024246_thumb.jpg

After the baking.........feeding Gibbs  {who incidentally,  likes brocolli}.......and making supper {a repast that couldn't be beat},  all of the weights were removed from the decking.

post-612-0-59083100-1381024406_thumb.jpg

it ended up as a very nice flat surface  :)

post-612-0-10666500-1381024472_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-49997800-1381024486_thumb.jpg

with this complete.......I can now turn to the decking,  and how I'm going to do it.   I'm going to plank it....I think it will look really good.   it's going to be a feat to mimic the main deck,  but I remember that I used crayon,  so half the battle is won.   I want to move on to one of the other builds,  but now I can work on something,  without hauling her back onto the table.   I think I will keep her nearby.   without my other table,  it will be hard........but in it's place,  I have a small book case.....the Half Moon and the United States already occupy the two upper shelves.   the bottom shelf is reserved for the shoe boxes that hold the parts for these ships......I will allow  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Sweeeeeeet, Popeye.   You seem to be a master of all the shipbuilding trades.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)