Trawler Syborn by popeye the sailor - 1:33 - Finished

Very nicely done on the canvas railing Denis.  Doors and windows looking great and also good info on materials.  I have made a note of it, one never knows when it's needed.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

well......I did it to myself again........wrote out this big post to answer all your questions and a huge thank you for all the kind comments.......and I hit the wrong button!    it's all gone!~    had a good night at the airport,  in spite of the fact I had to work........but I made the best of it  :)

again.....thanks to you all for the kind comments and to those who hit the like button  :)   I definitely will be checking out that product Bob.......I like the bottle and the applicator,   better than the Testor's bottle.

I used CA on the railings Mobbsie.........it was OK at first,  until I started to lash the bottoms of the stanchions...a few came loose then.   luckily,  it was not enough to knock them out of alignment.

glad I could make you smile John  :)

thanks Pat....glad I could make you smile too.    I'm beginning to outfit the helm room......figured I'd let you know  ;)

any time we can share info and techniques Piet.......it's a win / win!   :)  which reminds me........I gotta make some of those metal pulleys.  reviewing some of your work is a must!  ;)

I'll explain more in this next update. {now if I can hit the post button without botching it}

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

I love the "canvas" on the railing, Denis.   Very well done.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

OK........here goes.    The windows were a trial to trim.........took a lot of fitting to get them to go into place.   the rest of them are in now.....I just need to clean the 'glass' to get my finger prints off 'em.  I still had a strip of the thin planking that I had painted brown.......I used it for the lower structure railings.   I ran some along the helm room as well.   to answer your question Mobbsie,  I used CA to cement the stanchions in place.   wrapping the lashing along the top wasn't bad......it was when I lashed each stanchion along the bottom....a few of them came loose.  they didn't lose their position though,  the luck was on my side.  as for the canvas covering the railings,  the texture might be better seen in these pictures.   I got a small roll of this material in a kit,  but it wasn't enough to do all of the sails.   I'll  substitute another fabric to make the sails for that ship,  and I'll use this stuff for small tasks

post-612-0-61196400-1459487200_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-94813600-1459487212_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-67034900-1459487226_thumb.jpg

for the ladder that will lead to the fore deck,  I wanted to put some of that metal HO train sheeting on the treads.   it would give it the appearance of a 'no slip' finish.   I cut a narrow strip up into short pieces........I didn't use these,  since they all are too short.......I cut some others.

post-612-0-28858700-1459487472_thumb.jpg

they are sitting on what I'm going to use for the roof of the helm room.   I'm not going to go crazy and make a visor for it,  but I will make it look interesting.   I began to add some color to the anchor winch

post-612-0-08698700-1459488035_thumb.jpg

the last thing I did was to add the tread coverings on the ladder.   it wasn't too bad to do.

post-612-0-06563200-1459488312_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-61223600-1459488323_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-73071500-1459488336_thumb.jpg

I hope to do more tomorrow........I have to work at the airport again.   it'll be nice though.......I have the Wally work week off.   home for the week end!  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Hi Denis there is a great material for open metal treads it is an aluminum sheet for sculpting I used some for these steps

post-202-0-47669400-1459490135_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-35491800-1459490134_thumb.jpg

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

that's some good work there Michael  :)    the only place I know of around these parts that has something close to that would be HobbyTown.......darn place moved a town away.  they use to be in the same mall as Hobby Lobby......made it very convenient.   HobbyTown carries the Plastruct line of building plastics,  and they have quite a selection.......they also carry a lot of brass and HO related stuff.   gonna have to hunt them down someday  ;)

Hobby Lobby does carry a few things,  but not as extensive..........they don't carry a lot of brass and metal stuff either.  stairs and stairwells are interesting...

.......there are many different types used in ship building.   I wonder if tulle could be used as well?   I did it this way,  only because the ladder was a molded part....the treads were solid.  I matched them up to the upper fore deck landing....now I need to make a railing for it.  I was in the process of doing just that when I got the phone call.  I have to work tonight,  but I took the week end off    {Mo' playtime for me....Ha.....Ha!}

I've been on the ladder  'kick'  for a while now.  perhaps it's my subconscious telling me I need to reach new heights.  :D  :D

thanks Bob.........I hope to get more done today.  the weather seems to be a bit better than was forecast........perhaps I should put a move on the tree boat hull and get it squared away.   thanks for the good word  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

thanks Patrick.........didn't get much done today.   I did take advantage of the nice weather........although it was supposed to rain, and got the second filler job done on the tree boat.   I gave it another round of sanding,  and then a second primer coat.   I still need to look the hull over,  but I think it will pass muster this time.........not making any promises.   if it is.......then it can get the cap rails and rub rails.......and then maybe some paint  ;)

perhaps I'll have a better time of things tomorrow  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

thanks Lawrence........it's neat to try a few things out on this one.    more to come,  I'm sure  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I'm catching up as well Denis, very nice work as seen in your progress pics.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

thanks Piet.......made some small progress.........once I get it together........      I can also tell you all about the dummy move I made  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

thanks Piet.......made some small progress.........once I get it together........      I can also tell you all about the dummy move I made   ;)

Sounds intriguing :)

not really Bob........that is since it involved almost ruining a fore deck that's been finished for over a couple of years.   I'll start from the beginning.........

I had an idea on how to make the railing for the stairs.....it consisted of bent wire and a three hole stanchion.

post-612-0-76858900-1459827772_thumb.jpg

as I have done along the bow line and for the upper landing,  I bordered it off for the stanchions to sit on.  I needed a very small piece of wood {I forget the size} to fit the span between the ladder and the rest of the border.   I painted some up with the flat white.

post-612-0-48337300-1459828006_thumb.jpg

now,  I'm making that section of border......and shaping the railings,  and trying to gauge where to drill the hole for the bottom stanchion {it's to be part of the railing itself}.

post-612-0-30581000-1459828227_thumb.jpg

in between all of this,  I must have forgotten to tighten down the cap on the flat white.......I began to shake it.   I noticed my fingers turning white...........but it was too late........a couple of paint drops landed on the fore deck!   I wiped them up as fast as I could.....but they still left the remnants of their mark.   so, I had to sand them with fine sandpaper to get rid of them.......now the blemishes are much larger.   I gave it another coat of semi gloss lacquer......thus removing all trace of the paint fiasco.

post-612-0-79535200-1459829102_thumb.jpg

I saw another spot on the upper stair landing....some thinner took care of it well enough.  then I cleaned up the table,  because there were spots on it as well.  once that dilemma was over,  I looked over the winch to take my mind off of things for the moment.   this winch worked well for the Nordkap.....I believe the same one was used for the Cux and the Mary Ann.   the big drawback with it,  is that it only has two spools.....I need more,  so I'm going to have to add to it.

post-612-0-74808800-1459829519_thumb.jpg

how......you may ask?  I can't tell you just yet. ;)    the binnacle is in place in the helm room.

post-612-0-34044500-1459829620_thumb.jpg

so with the piece of border in place on the upper landing...hole is drilled,  and the hole is drilled down on the main deck,  the railing was set in place and the rungs were cemented in the position they needed to be in.

post-612-0-69493600-1459829758_thumb.jpg

when the CA had set......it was moved to the desk for yet another process that was to be done with it.

post-612-0-70393600-1459829837_thumb.jpg

the short rungs will be cemented to the existing railings after everything is painted....the stair railings and the bow railings.  

I'll see if there are more pictures in the camera  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

nutz!   I didn't get any pictures of the railing cover being sewed on.   I did get pictures of the railing in place though.   I added to it.......the angle made it too short at the bottom.....you could see the ladder.   adding a piece to it covered it well enough......I used CA to add the piece on.  it hides the seam quite well,  I think.

post-612-0-03317300-1459831729_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-21396400-1459831744_thumb.jpg

then ......like the proverbial fool that I am.......I took both railings out on the porch to give them a coat of flat white.   we were getting 2 - 4 inches of snow.......it was way too cold out there,  and the paint behaved as paint does when it too cold.  I was going to wipe down the railings,  but I figured to just let it dry,  and I'll do it in the cellar or wait for a warmer day.  anyway,  I was going to redo them before I show them to you all,  but now that they are dry,  they don't look too bad {except for a few bare spots}.   so here are a couple pictures of them painted and in place.

post-612-0-24727000-1459832108_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-80256500-1459832119_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-12345500-1459832132_thumb.jpg

I hope to get more done tomorrow   ;)

Edited by popeye the sailor

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Great job getting rid of all the paint spill :) 

All the work on the ladder is extremely well done, i really like the addition of the non slip tread plates on the rungs and also the big non slip plate at the top of the ladder before the planking starts

thanks John, Bob,  and Patrick......and who hit the like button.   I don't think I'm going to add any more rail cover........although it might look cool on the bow railings.   Michael showed me some really neat approach to the stairs......but since these were solid treads and I wanted to use this ladder up,  that was the best I could come up with at the moment.   I seem to be doing a lot with stairs and ladder in recent weeks.........don't be surprised if you see something new in the near future.  after all.........he did give me ideas  ;)

thanks all for the kind words and the likes!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

thanks Lawrence........I lucked out  ;)   considering how long ago I planked the fore deck.......it could have meant a redo.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

A great save on that deck, Denis.  We've all pulled dumb things like that.    And rails... a wow! on the painting even if I did like them as bare brass.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

thanks Mark.......I still have to touch them up a bit.   cold doesn't play well with paint  ;)

thanks for the good word  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Some really nice detail there mate; looking superb!

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

thanks Pat........appreciate the kind comment  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I started to play around with the mast........fairly sure there will be a mizzen.   I began to taper it,  but I'm thinking of adding a top to the first step........that's going to mean......yes,  another ladder.  I've also done some work towards a roof on the helm room.   as I suspected,  it will definitely kill the light,  but I will add a few more bits of detail to it anyway.

post-612-0-79504900-1460683064_thumb.jpg

I should have more on her soon.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

thanks Patrick and Bob....and to all who hit the like button.   I forgot to mention that I had also installed a brad at the base of the mast.   after centering the mast, it was pushed into the keel spine inside.  I just hope that I can easily find the hole when it's time to cement the mast in place

thanks for looking in  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

• 4 months later...

hello all.........I finally found some time at the table.   actually,  it was a bit of a shake - up.........I wanted to bring the trawler back to the table,  to work on the mast........but the tree boat was just going on.......and on.......and on.   other projects on the home front began to creep in,  and soon,  I found myself in limbo :(    a couple 'o weeks 'o that though,  an' it was all I kin stand!........so,  I pulled out my savior.....the Midwest 'Chesapeake Bay Flattie' kit I've had stashed in my closet!  I'd bring it out and tinker with it from time to time.........never putting cement to it,  but piecing things together and figuring out how to best save the parts panels,  so I can reuse them  {you know how I roll  ;)}.

so.......while I'm toying with it,  I've done some work to the mast :)   I was not convinced I wanted to do a top for the first step,  but I changed my mind........it will have one.  I used the arms for the boom rigging,  as support braces.

post-612-0-56681500-1471544296.jpg

with the mast in place on the Syborn,  I no longer have to wonder which side of the mast,  is the front.

post-612-0-45608900-1471544394.jpg

a front piece was cemented on to cap it off.   there is more that will be added,  but it's a good start.

post-612-0-94728700-1471544459.jpg

in my messing around with her again........I'm thinking the gallows are out of scale.    I may make some new ones  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I got a little further.........added some brackets for lights.

post-612-0-38818200-1471554696.jpg

post-612-0-13579600-1471554713.jpg

still more to add.........thanks for look'in in  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock: