Trawler Syborn by popeye the sailor - 1:33 - Finished

Hi Denis

It's great to see that you're able to work on Syborn, after all, it's been a while inbetween posts.  

The mast with the fittings that you're adding is going to look great.  That, together with all the other details that you'll add will make Syborn a really character-filled beauty.

I'm definitely looking forward to more updates!

Cheers

Patrick

thanks Patrick  :)   and to all who hit the like button.   Friday didn't turn out as I would have liked.......I wanted to add more framework and the pads for the lights.   now I am in my work week....two more days to go.   the catalyst for this flurry of activity,  is upside down on my main table, awaiting the hull sides and bottom panels  {they call it planking,  but I think they have rocks in their heads}.   if anyone remembers the Maine Lobster boat........I really stunk at doing this type of assembly.....and ended up actually planking the hull.   more will come soon  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

thanks Lawrence......it just the beginnings of the mast....I have more to add.    I have been disheveled of late.......the mind has been too cluttered to spend time at the table.   I do feel better,  now that the tree boat looks more in line to what it should look like.   I wanted to spend some time here with the trawler,  but the process to get me where I wanted to be was a bit longer than anticipated.   I have one more day of work.......

thanks for the good word...I appreciate it  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Just found your build log Denis. Very nice craftsmanship! It's looking great!

Jesse

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

Wow!!!...... this is a great!! build Denis.... just found this one.....  love what you  are doing with this build,

this one is going to be hard to top :P

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Nice to see you back at the table Denis; very nice work!  It can be a real problem finding time when there are sooooo many things to do :)

cheers

Pat

Edited by BANYAN

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

thanks Jesse and Frank......it's been a while since I last posted on this build.   there's still much more to go on her....so there's still more to see  ;) 

welcome and hope you follow 'till the end  :)

thanks Pat.......I'm just glad {and fortunate} that it isn't 'cuz of sickness.......way too much of that going around.   spending more time on the Tree Boat as I did,  ........the thought process flows better doing timely things,  rather than to make time for the transition of events.   I should have started the mast when I was thinking of it.   we'll see how much of what I was thinking about.......I can remember  ;)  :D

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I made a bit more progress with the mast.   there more to go,  bu I gave it some frame work.

post-612-0-65163000-1472141663.jpg

then....if you remember,  I made a mention about a ladder,  if I went this route in adding the top.   rather than try making one out of wood.........I'm going to try and solder something together.   the welding wire is very stiff.....took like forever to get straight.   I made up a jig to do this on...............making eyelets on the ends of both wires,  they are fastened to the board with push pins.   there is another piece of wood that has pins in it,  to insure the width of the wire and to hold it steady while I solder the rungs on.   the rungs will be held in place by other longer pins.   this will be a long ladder,  so it might take a while.

post-612-0-75781300-1472142116.jpg

I'll try and show you what it will look like.........I have a few done already.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

looks like you are very busy on the Syborn trawler,

there is nice progress the last days.... :)

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

hello Nils  :)     yepper!   try'in to spark some life back into one of my other builds  :D   more to come.......and something you might be interested in.....perhaps even a suggestion or two,  given your metal prowess  ;)  thanks for the good word  :)

hey there Patrick........yea,  cat's out of the bag........got a small project going on.   trying to get multiple things moving,  and stop look'in like a one armed paper hanger.   I still have a little more to go on the mast.......and then,  there's the ladder...a very long ladder  ;)   thanks for the good word!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

OK........I did say I'd try and show you what I'm doing for this ladder.   the welding wire is stretched out on the board,  the spreader is set up with pins,  to keep the width of the wire even all the way down.   I need the ladder to be around 8 inches long.....the longest ladder I've ever done.   I liked some of the results from my experiments.....but there is one method I haven't tried yet....solder.   I take that back.........I did try it and I failed........I will attempt it again.  so I've soldered around five or six rungs at this time...........seems every time I start,  something comes up......GRRRRRR?!?!?!?!

post-612-0-10702100-1472172252.jpg

post-612-0-20861400-1472172280.jpg

looks kind of gaudy to me....which is what I encountered the last time I tried this.   here is the spreader......set up and doing the job.......I may have to adjust it from time to time.

post-612-0-70006100-1472172745.jpg

I have both means to solder.....this one allows me to do this in the house.   the other one will no doubt set off the fire alarms....he..he  {second floor does it all the time.....she's a bad cook!}.  I've had this soldering iron for quite some time.....I should try out the new one I found.......yepper.....found

post-612-0-88056300-1472172953.jpg

I'm using light electronics solder to do this.........I'm wondering if a flame would lessen the amount of solder.   I'm trying to use as little as I can.  should I also sort of paint the wire with the flux before soldering,  instead of just dipping the tip of the iron in it?   there is a rosen core in the soldering wire,  but probably not enough for the application i'm using it for.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Looking good Denis.  Better not let the boss read this - you may go hungry for awihle ;)

cheers

Pat

I'm not sure how it works with this type of soldering but when I was a bench jeweler I always applied flux to the joint before soldering. That was a whole different kind of soldering so I don't know if it works the same here.

Jesse

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

I put flux on the parts even though I'm using flux core solder.  It seem to help.  But like everything else soldering takes practice to make it look good.  By the time you finish the eight inches the solder should look pretty good.  Then you'll want to go back and redo the start.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

thanks Pat.......I know it took a few days to reply......I was still wrestling with the work week.   I've taken two days off.......so I got a couple more days to finish this.   I didn't mean my admiral........second floor  :D  :D   we go out on our porch sometimes and the smell from up there makes us wonder what the heck they're burning up there...........besides weed  ;)  :D  :D

thanks Jesse.......I'm sure it's the same principle.   I did think of that though......this welding wire might have some kind of coating on it.    might be good to rough it up some  ;)

Don't tell me that Bob...........that means I'd better do 16 inches!  I used to do my own plumbing back when we owned our home.....that was a lifetime ago though.   I will try the new solder iron and see if there is a difference.   thanks for the good word.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

as mentioned earlier........good suggestion about the flux,  in the event that the welding wire has some sort of coating on it.

I used a Q-tip to swab the wire with flux.   I believe the wire changed hue a little bit there.   it may have been the case,  because it went a bit better after that.   I still had some trouble with the heat transfer loosening up the closest rung....I had to keep going back over them.  it turned out to be a good thing though,  since it picked some of the excess solder along the way.

post-612-0-53348500-1472602880.jpg

at this point,  I measured it with the ruler... 6 3/4........getting close to the 8 inch mark.  I counted the rungs......I was curious.

it felt like more than that.   is this one of those thankless repetitive tasks I hear tell about?

post-612-0-02845800-1472603162.jpg

the solderings are getting better..........with a little filing,  it should look OK.

post-612-0-70689400-1472603239.jpg

finally.........I made it!   I even gave it a little more....just in case  ;)

post-612-0-66292600-1472603287.jpg

might be hard to see.........8 1/2!   not for the sizing and clean up!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

does anyone have a Z scale train I can borrow?

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Nice going Denis!

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Looks good and solid Denis, should work a treat.  next time you have to do this try using an alligator clip between the previous (soldered) and new joint as a heat sink - it can be kept out of the way and should wick excess heat before it destroys the previous joint.  may be worth a try at least :)

cheers

Pat

That will bring you to the top without much hassle ... nicely done. Maybe for a next time: juwelers use either a cooliong paste/gel or what they call Brusselse Aarde  to keep already soldered parts from loosening when they need to solder close to a previous joint

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

thanks for the kind comments and the likes........I'm very glad to get back to this build.   a couple of the builds,  I still need to get stuff for,  so I'm kinda hung up.   I just got a fresh supply of dowels.......so that renegade fishing boat can continue,  as soon as it gets it's color.........paint.   perhaps even a name.......;)

hi John........I couldn't agree more,  a metal ladder would fit the bill here.   I'm glad to say it's done!  :)

thanks Pat and Carl.........those are two very good ideas.   I will remember them in the future.   even though the rungs coming loose was a problem,  it really didn't slow me down too much.   I just needed to take the time to sit down and do it.........and that's what I did........I sat at my desk and did it.   it feels good though to get all that stuff offa here though....it made my desk look as cluttered as my table  :)  ;)

thanks Jack,  Patrick and Lawrence for the birthday wishes.   to get to have a day like this,  with no problems or mishaps,  is all I would ever want  :)    it's been a great day thus far.

I can't wait to show you what I have done this morning.........I think it came out fairly well  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

and so....the ladder is complete.   it's not quite as good as I would like.......but now that I see it on the model,  it's good enough.   this morning,  I removed it from the board and straightened the eyelets that I had bent into the top end of the uprights.   knowing that the cutter would send the trimmings flying,  I perched the waste basket between my legs and pointed them into it.   quite a few of them went through the bag!   when I was making these small pieces for the rungs,  I would capture the length of wire between my fingers and snip the wire.   doing this for a time,  my grip became limp,  and with a snip,  sent one of them into my finger like an arrow!   talk about bleed.......

that was my only incident though.......so that was a good thing  ;)     anyway.......once all that was done,   I did some sanding and filing to knock down all the nubs

post-612-0-85971500-1472679258.jpg

while this was going on,  some would come loose.   in soldering them back on,  I robbed the excess solder from some of the gobs,  and made them look a bit better.   filing should take care of the rest.

post-612-0-67043500-1472679442.jpg

again,  I went into that little container of all the punch outs that can be had from kits.  I save them and use them for a variety of things.   I took a couple small circle.....cut and sanded them to {or about} the same thickness......I needed three of them.

these are to be the mounting plates for the mast lights.   they were cemented to the light brackets on the mast.

post-612-0-16441000-1472679699.jpg

curving the uprights at the top......I was able to locate and drill the holes in the backside of the top,  to locate the ladder in place.   I drilled four holes down the mast and fitted pins that will secure the ladder to the mast.

post-612-0-91972300-1472679953.jpg

post-612-0-02313300-1472679994.jpg

somehow.......I wasn't pleased with it.   OK to be secure,  but what about side to side movement.   I then got the idea about the strapping.........wrapping it around the mast,  and attaching it to each side of the ladder.   so,  I cut some thin strips of brass and did just that.   I have two on there now,  and it seems pretty solid........I may add a third one further up the ladder  {I'll need a longer strip I think}.

post-612-0-92141000-1472680285.jpg

post-612-0-60410500-1472680307.jpg

post-612-0-16952800-1472680319.jpg

I want to put a few more brackets under the top.   then add the railing around it.....should be ready for paint by then.  it will make the ladder look better.......I did a lot of filing between the rungs.......the shiny solder hides it at the moment  ;)

back to work!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Hi Denis

Now, that's impressive!  I like the ladder and the extra realism that it adds to the mast.  I can just imagine some happy-go-lucky crewman jumping off the top into the water just for kicks!

But, without a doubt, it most certainly looks the part.

Ouch, also for the bleeding thumb!

Hope all's well.

Cheers

Patrick

Edited by Omega1234

all is perfectly well Patrick   :)   had some pizza and beer......followed with some cake and ice cream.......I'm feel'in like Hoss cartright right now   ;)  I didn't get much further,  I'm afraid.........I added another strap to the ladder and was in the process of installing the railing,  when company came over.

I hope to resume tomorrow   ;)

thanks for the kind comment and the likes all.   :)

oh.........I almost forgot the cake!

post-612-0-79011000-1472690104.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Real nice job on that ladder......that really sets it off...

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

all is perfectly well Patrick :) had some pizza and beer......followed with some cake and ice cream.......I'm feel'in like Hoss cartright right now ;) I didn't get much further, I'm afraid.........I added another strap to the ladder and was in the process of installing the railing, when company came over.

I hope to resume tomorrow ;)

thanks for the kind comment and the likes all. :)

oh.........I almost forgot the cake!

my cake.jpg

Hi Denis

If I remember correctly, your birthday cake today rivals last year's cake!

Glad to see you've had a great day.

Cheers

Patrick