Trawler Syborn by popeye the sailor - 1:33 - Finished

Very nice work with fine, and, I dare to say, brave soldering with soldering points so close

Z-train ? A new hobby sticks it`s face ? Oh, boy, you`ll never stop. And you`ll definitely need bigger house- apartment ;)

And the way to extend your day to min 72h

Edited by Nenad

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

Well that the 'ants pants' mate; looks good - ...........and a bel;ated happy birthday.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Nice looking ladder.  It really makes the mast.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

I give it up.......

Unbelievable that ladder.

It looks if you buy it in a toy store.....

I think I will have lessons from you for the soldering......

Sjors

thanks for the kind comments  :)    also for the likes as well.   the third strap makes the ladder look more complete......there was quite a gap after the second one I put on.

a Z scale train Nenad is the smallest you will ever see a train at.   the whole set up would sit nicely on my desk.   I would say that four cars,  side by side,   would fit nicely in a cigarette pack.   unfortunately......I don't own one......I do have a G scale for around our Christmas tree though.   it is another hobby that I would love to get into........but I think that after a while,  the admiral would shut me down.   the expansion would drive her crazy  :D :D  :D

I don't know Sjors........I'm still learning too.  it's not too hard though....the only thing I really need to watch,  is not to gob on the solder  ;)

>continued in next post<

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

the mast is close to being done.   seeing how other folks assemble their masts  {Kees}.....I saw a lot of good aspects ,  that normally I wouldn't do.   .........a lot of neglected detail  ;)

thanks for the belated birthday wish Pat.......and yes Patrick......I had a great day yesterday  :)   it was further emphasized by reading all the PM's and posts I got.....I have such great friends in the community,  and many of them  :)

After putting on that third strap.....I began to set up for adding the railing around the top.   silly me had put everything away,  and I had to set things right back up at my desk.  did I actually think I was going to get away that easily?   I was simply going to use CA to assemble the railing.......but in looking at the ladder,  the railing should be a piece of cake.   more practice time too  ;)  the good thing was I didn't need the board.....yea!!!!!  I don't have to reach for the back of my desk for the mouse!!!

I have some one rail 15 mm stanchions.....might look too open up there,  so I went for the three rail 15 mm stanchions.   the holes were pre drilled,  so I'd know how many I needed.   I still have the aft section to do.   the first part:

post-612-0-55932700-1472761611.jpg

here's what the ladder looks like with the three straps.

post-612-0-66922300-1472761918.jpg

I used the vise to bend the railings to do the second part of it.   it was used again to do the third part,  which has three partitions {across the front}.  it needed to be curved to follow the shape of the top.   the railing was soldered in place on the top.......I had messed it up at one point,  making an adjustment.  I wasn't going to have it happen again.

post-612-0-23020000-1472762236.jpg

post-612-0-69334100-1472762247.jpg

during this task......two of the light brackets became loose.   I tried to be extra careful.   it was at this time that my older son and his four kids came over......so work ground to a halt!   it was a nice visit.......my oldest grandson,   Chase,  stuck to me like glue.  he loves the boats.......especially the lobster boat ;) I was very watchful that they didn't get too cozy with the table......being real poor at being child proof.   soon,  it was time to say good bye.......{they got to have ice cream and cake too}........and with that,  I got back to work.   the fourth and fifth sections were done.

post-612-0-25503300-1472762649.jpg

it was trim and file the ends of the railing {s} at the ladder........and it was then cemented in place.   the mast was placed on deck to see how it looked.

post-612-0-15066300-1472762756.jpg

post-612-0-79691700-1472762769.jpg

.....and then the camera died.   so,  while it is being recharged.......I'll be thinking of what to do next.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Fantastic work Dennis.....I have a small oxi torch I use for small soldering and I also use a hand torch (used in my dental lab) for soldering chrome steel wire.

I never attempted such a large solder job...you did very well...looks sweeeet.

Rob

Current build:

Build log: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25382-glory-of-the-seas-medium-clipper-1869-by-rwiederrich-196

Finished build:

Build log: of 1/128th Great Republic: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13740-great-republic-by-rwiederrich-four-masted-extreme-clipper-1853/#

Current build(On hold):

Build log: 1/96  Donald McKay:http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4522-donald-mckay-medium-clipper-by-rwiederrich-1855/

Completed build:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/475-196-cutty-sark-plastic/

The LORD said, "See, I have set (them) aside...with skills of all kinds, to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver, and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts."

thanks for the kind comments and the likes  :)     progress continues slow,  but the mast is almost complete.......which I'm pretty happy about  :)

almost ready to do that Carl,  but in doing that,  I found that I needed to revamp the hold.   I got that done,  but I might repaint the top part.....the light gray I used for the bulwarks had dried up,  so I used a flat white instead.   I got some ghost gray.......it might be close.   I'm sure that the next time you see the mast,   it should be painted and cemented in place....I hope.   I want to do the anchor winch / fore deck.......at odds on how I want to set it up.

thanks Rob.......I have both means......but I though the flame method might set off the fire alarm.  I also soldered the railing on the mast,  so the flame might have caused a bit of an issue  :)   this has been more soldering than I have ever done.....and I liked it  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Now that is a fine looking mast and ladder.   The railing is the icing on the cake, so to speak.  I can't wait to see what's next.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

thanks everyone for the kind comments....and for the likes as well.   of all the ladder experiments I've tried.......I am very happy to have tried to do this again :)    I'm sure there is a better method out there........but I'm just as satisfied with the way I did it.   now to expand on it  ;)

I did some work to the gallows.......I won't scrap them as previously thought.....I'll just cut them down some so they look more to scale.  the hold had been modified and is in place on the deck.....I just need to change the color of the cover.   I'm back at work..two more days to go......perhaps I can post something before then  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Happy belated birthday Dennis and very nice work on the ladder and railing.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

thanks a lot piet.........I had a wonderful day!  :)

I found that I had these pictures of the hold and what I did to it.    with the changes the mast made,  it was impossible to leave it the way I originally made it.   it needed a little modification......

post-612-0-97769900-1473272757.jpg

I had to give it a bottom,  to make it strong enough for the operation.........I pretty much cut the top off and leveled it out.

post-612-0-26350400-1473272845.jpg

the top was an oversize square of flat stock.........cemented in a box frame to assemble it to the hold,  and then cement on some molding around it.   I painted it flat white.......but I'm thinking better of it......the inner bulwarks and bulkheads are a light gray.   I may change it.

post-612-0-41999700-1473273010.jpg

post-612-0-78307300-1473273021.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Looking a real treat for the eyes Denis; great work bashing this build.

cheers

Pat

Hi Denis

Bit by bit, Syborn's coming to life. The ladder's looking great, as does the work you've done on the hold.

I'm looking forward to seeing what's next on your list. Whatever it is, I'm sure it's gonna look fantastic.

All the best!

Patrick

How, to hell, you get so perfect surfaces?

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

thanks to everyone for the kind word,  and for those who hit the like button.   besides a few eye bolts here and there......the mast is pretty much done.   now I can give it a coat of paint.......make 'er pretty,  and then cement it into place.  well.......I haven't cemented it in just yet.....but,  I did give it a coat of paint.   as for the hold.........it can stay white.

post-612-0-31207100-1473455412.jpg

post-612-0-73036800-1473455421.jpg

post-612-0-75849300-1473455444.jpg

I was thinking of some smaller reels.........rigging the booms....etc.   I have these small spools.......they might do the trick with a little modification.

post-612-0-39103000-1473455584.jpg

here's where it gets funny..........I stuck 'em on my dremel,  using a wooden dowel that they fit really snug on.......

post-612-0-95316200-1473455654.jpg

turn the dremel on...........and boy!.....do those things go flying!  I had the admiral ducking for cover!  :D  :D   after a couple of times.......I saw that it wasn't going to fly {figuratively speaking,  of course}........so I swapped the dowel over to a brass rod about the same diameter.  there was too much free play,  so I used scotch tape to take up the slack and make them fit snugly on the shaft.  

I should mention why in the world,  I would want to do this.    the center part of the spool isn't very deep....to wrap thread around it would fill the indention and leave nothing for another layer of thread.   the spool would look over full and run over the sides.    to make the depth a bit deeper,  I can layer the thread and it will look a lot better.........like I have done to this first one.

post-612-0-29008000-1473456206.jpg

I made a couple of others........I dunno.......they look kinda sloppy.   painted,  in a rack....wound with thread....some of the weird stuff might not be seen.  up against a bulkhead or bulwark......might deter from them even more.......   we'll see what else I can come up with  ;)

post-612-0-05604600-1473456548.jpg

thank again all........I'll post more as things develop :)  

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Popeye,

I don't believe you anymore when you are telling us that you make all of this.

The toy store is around the corner ????? :P  :P

Just kidding my friend !

Very nice !

Sjors

Those reels are looking good mate; nice adaption.

cheers

Pat

thank you for the likes and kind comments.   I'm going to try a few other idea I have about these reels.........I been off the radar for a few days {work and such},  but I hope to get back to it tomorrow,  along with another aspect.   the mast needs to be out for it......once done,  I can finally glue it into place.

thanks Sjors and Pat  :)    it's amazing what can be found in a craft store.   really neat to find stuff from other types of hobbies,  that can be applied to our hobby.   I just gotta get some of those fancy toys one of these days.  ;)   for the time being though......I guess I'll have to rely on sandpaper and razor blades.........and a little imagination  :)

thanks for look'in in ......I hope to have more soon  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

in order to get any further with the masting,   there is one thing that needs to be addressed.   I have been looking at different windlass configurations.....but none of them suited the parts I have on hand.   the shape of the fore deck also plays a part too.   rather than look further and aggravate myself with this any more........I took a look at the Nordkap windlass and do that........they are the same parts.   first thing to do,  is to enlarge the holes in the hull.

post-612-0-10382400-1473974552.jpg

the windlass was cemented in place and the first pair of hawse holes were drilled.

post-612-0-53881200-1473974650.jpg

I use a piece of wire to snake the chain up through the holes..........hook the chain and drag it on through.

post-612-0-34256600-1473974711.jpg

the chain was ran through the holes

post-612-0-59373900-1473974804.jpg

the eyelets are from that box I found a while back........I had sorted some out and bottled them.   these are the smallest ones I have.   the anchors are what is left of the Nordkap booty.

post-612-0-70453000-1473974935.jpg

the anchors were attached to the chain and pulled up into place.  darn thing won't sit up there like I want them to......oh well!

post-612-0-58835700-1473975016.jpg

post-612-0-16701900-1473975028.jpg

the eyelets were painted black and cemented in place.

post-612-0-57873000-1473975072.jpg

two more holes were drilled behind the windlass and done in the same manner..........the chains were dropped in and set so the anchors won't move.........windlass assembly done.   I may add a lever and a few other tid-bits.  

post-612-0-75890600-1473975308.jpg

should I make any more progress,  I'll be sure to post it  :)   thanks for look'in in!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

thanks for the kind comments and the likes   :)   I'm in the process of adding the parts I've already made to the fore deck.  from there,  I think the aft deck needs some more added to it......and I've been assessing the gallows as well.  I made one around 12/32 nds shorter,  and that seems to look much better.

I'm going to need some of those metal pulleys once again,  but they need to be smaller.......I have some 4 mm pulley reels that will work nicely I think   :)

hope to have more to show soon   :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Very nice work Denis,

I specialy like the access-ladder with its support framework and grating to the forecastle, integrated into the railing...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50