Trawler Syborn by popeye the sailor - 1:33 - Finished

Caught up with you Denis, been just too busy with "stuff" and no time to visit MSW.  Great job on the railing and ship is looking fantastic.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

hello Piet.........not a problem.......this time of year can get hectic  ;)   I have yard work ahead of me.    seems like it's time to add the metal bits.....luckily,  I learned a thing or two from your log and others,  who have done great things with metal.   good to know I've passed muster  :)

thanks for the good word!   spent the day playing catch up..........hope to spend some quality time at the table tomorrow

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

the roaming magical finger of fate landed on the main deck yesterday....the layout got a bit busier.   the sentinels of the mid ship were finally put in their places.  it began with the mast.......more detail,  in the way of double blocks,  was added to it.

post-612-0-78196800-1475764394.jpg

the gallows have been painted...........holes were drilled for future assembly,  and single blocks were fastened in place.   I added one to both uprights,  a combination of added detail and functionality {in the event that an added line had to be set}

post-612-0-55608100-1475764592.jpg

"but Popeye,"  you say,  "we thought you made an extra one?"   "yes I did,"  I say,  "but look on the deck........there she be!"

post-612-0-30660300-1475765251.jpg

I could have cut them down a little more.......but they look more in line to the scale of the model than they did.   as time passed,  I've come aware to a few oddities with the model.  they are not enough to constitute a viking burial,  so I continued with the build.  besides,  no one this side of the levee will ever notice them anyway.   by this time,  after some touch up paint,  the other gallows were positioned on the deck.

post-612-0-02361900-1475766092.jpg

post-612-0-74555900-1475766106.jpg

those are plastic blocks,  by the way..........I actually ordered them.   for these modern fishing boat,  they work well.......a lot better than if they were found in a sailing ship kit.  they look out of place there.......but in these kits and builds,  they have the right amount of detail and shape.   to me........they have their place.   I did goof on the ordering......5 mm vs 7 mm........I forgot to order 7 mm single blocks.   I won't worry about it though.   these gallows need added support,  so I cut some metal rod for them.   this is steel rod......very hard to cut and shape.   but......it's the level of support I want.   I used this same rod on the Nordkap.......tells ya how long I've had it,  and I still have quite a bit of it.   not being able to use the mast as an anchor point {it's still removable},  I chose the second best location.......the companion way.   it was the best central location for the supports.  

post-612-0-37433800-1475767284.jpg

the aft pair were next......

post-612-0-79502800-1475767327.jpg

with all of this.......I did knock one loose....having to reglue it back in place.   so now the playing field gets a bit more crowded.   I'm losing the wide open spaces,  that I've been so accustomed to.

post-612-0-98643000-1475767711.jpg

post-612-0-49551100-1475767724.jpg

that's OK with me.........just means that I'm another step closer towards finishing her.  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

nice progress Denis,

looks very good with the canvas at the railing....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

She's really looking good.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

thanks Nils!   the obvious set up is almost complete.....next will be the booms and how they will be set.  winches too.......and everything associated with them.

with the instructions you may still have.......you'll be able to follow long   ;)  thanks for the good word   :)

thanks to you as well Bob....the plot thickens  ;)

Edited by popeye the sailor

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

What a gem Denis - looking great!  Those little details add so much to a build.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

thanks Carl and Pat....and all who hit the like button  :)

I thought about that Carl,  but I didn't want to crowd  the overhead and limit access.   I figured out that the best logical place for the main winches,  would be forward of the mast,  leaving the aft area for the fish box.   yea....winches and fish boxes...or.....one large box......haven't figured it in yet.   the hold makes it hard to do much else........it'll work out  :)

thanks for the good word!   thanks for look'in in  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Wow, Denis. Syborn's really come a long way since your last update.

I wouldn't worry too much about losing the wide open deck space. She's a working boat and a crowded deck just looks more in keeping with her intended purpose.

Keep up the great work!

Cheers

Patrick

Sweet work on the gallows, Denis.  You are moving along rapidly on her. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

thanks Patrick and Mark.........yep,  it's actually getting there  ;)   thanks for the good word!

I think you may have mentioned it Patrick.......something about not drawing up plans for your models.   I don't either.....as far as I got,  was the dance floor design for the M&M fun ship.   I get an idea in my head and I run with it.   hard to see how aspects will affect one another in the early stages.   there's always room for modification  ;)          {if it wasn't you....I'm sure it was a past post I had read  ;) }

I wouldn't say rapidly Mark.....although I just may see this one finished by the end of the year  :)     

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

That is ssooooooo sweet!! Denis .... your are amazing with your ideas and talent.... Greatt!! work...

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

thanks Frank.........I'm flattered,  but I think determination is playing more into it at this point.  :D  :D   I will finish this build.......as I will all of my other projects.

it's been a while for this build........I never in my wildest dreams,  ever planned to have builds last this long.   what I find amazing though,  is how few pages this build has..........I've seen some with 100 or more  ;)

I guess you could say that I based this build on trawlers like the Nordkap..........I truly enjoyed that build.   I have many pictures of these types of vessels.......each one has a certain charm to them......but I had hands on with the Nordkap.   one of these days,  I'd love to get another one.....and do a dual build,  cloning the Progress along with Nordkap.   I have pictures of that ship too...kit pictures.......someone actually built one.   the two together would be awesome....identical to one another,  except for a couple of aspects { I'm having a tough time shaking the clone thing  ;) }.   I've been toying around with the winches.........my first thoughts were way out of scale.   it's not a bad thing........I can simply size them down to fit.   the main winch is definitely in need of four reels.....having two booms.    as mentioned,  it will also need to be positioned forward of the mast.......the size of the hold dictates this.   it won't be a bad thing,  I assure you.  I do have a few pictures of the winch development....

thanks for the good word Frank.........thanks to all for the likes  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I got the pictures together to show you where I am with the winch and booms.   since I'm finding it hard to use the existing winch,  I took it apart to see if it was worth re-configuring to a four reel system.

post-612-0-23724700-1476201288.jpg

so I got out the styrene sheeting,  and cut out some of the panels.......the base and sides.   I saw that they were a bit out of scale right away.........I can always trim them down.....but I focused on making the reel spools,  using other methods.   I liked the idea of using the gears...........it gave the Andrea Gail some nice detail.  perhaps I can do the same here.   

post-612-0-61643200-1476203546.jpg

I got curious........I should take a look at the Mary Ann winch.........but first,  I looked at the Cux 87 winch.   it was a compact four reel winch.   

post-612-0-27048100-1476203901.jpg

with the Nordkap,  I just got this small piece of paper with the winch diagram on it.......just an exploded view.   the mast rigging was the same,  but it can be seen in the instructions.....simplified.  the Cux is a bit more detailed...and more interesting as well.

post-612-0-91000200-1476204147.jpg

while I was working on the winches....the booms were painted.   there is still a few more parts to assemble on the mast.    

when they are done,  the mast can be cemented in place.

post-612-0-84764400-1476204973.jpg

I'll see if I can get anything done today  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

That is an interesting winch concept and will make some very nice detail.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

thanks Patrick and Mark.........yep, it's actually getting there ;) thanks for the good word!

I think you may have mentioned it Patrick.......something about not drawing up plans for your models. I don't either.....as far as I got, was the dance floor design for the M&M fun ship. I get an idea in my head and I run with it. hard to see how aspects will affect one another in the early stages. there's always room for modification ;) {if it wasn't you....I'm sure it was a past post I had read ;) }

I wouldn't say rapidly Mark.....although I just may see this one finished by the end of the year :)

Hi Denis

Thanks for mentioning me. I don't think it was actually me that made that comment though, because I always refer to have comprehensive plans to work with. Nine times out of ten though, I don't. So, it comes down to some guess work on my part.

I'm also really curious to see which winch arrangement that you eventually go for. Whichever one you choose, I'm sure it's gonna look great.

All the best!

Cheers

Patrick

Edited by Omega1234

Hi Denis just catching up a bit, nice progress on the ship, curious about the gears in the one pic, what is your source for them?

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

thanks for the kind comments and to those who hit  the like button :)    I got a little done....but nothing serious to report yet....soon if things go the way I want them to   ;)

hello Michael...I miss watching you work   :)   I got the gears from Hobby Lobby....I guess you can call it the 'plaque' department.   decorative plaques can be created from all the stuff they have in this dept.   roman numerals,  clock hands,  and these gears things can be used to make fake clocks {why.....I don't know  >shrug< }........slices of trees w/the bark and stuff.  kinda cool   :)    they have another pack that has round knob like decorations.....some would make dandy ship's wheels for fishing boats {What I want to get for that other fishing boat I have in the works}.  I used these same gears for the winches on the Andrea Gail.  I tried to find a picture of the package........but no luck  {not to say it isn't there somewhere....with the way I think}.

it probably isn't worth showing you the mast configurations for the Mary Ann and Nordkap.......I like what I see with the Cux.  I've always told myself that I'd like to get another kit of it one day.   I'm so close.......I could just turn this ship into a larger version of it.......but without the shrimp cooker   ;):)    .....and I'm looking at the nets   :)  thanks for the good word Patrick!

thanks Pat.......I always enjoy this part of the build  :)

Edited by popeye the sailor

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

thanks for the birthday wish Lawrence........no toys,  but it was a very good day regardless  :)     the deck is becoming more and more populated.....I'm adding more to the mast.   the winch is also being assessed......I may need to scratch build it completely.   I enlarged a couple holes in the metal frame of the original winch and moved the spool,  but there just isn't enough clearance for two.  I had a problem as well with the styrene pieces I cut out.   I bundled them together and attempted to shape them with the scroll saw.........this was a bad move.  the heat produced melted the parts together....the main cut was halted in the middle,  trapping the blade mid cut.   I would have to do them one at a time,  if I want to see any success with it. 

I should have some pictures soon..........might even have the winch done..........3rd attempt coming up!  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

some progress has been made....although I still need to figure how it will all fit together.   there will be shrouds on the mast, but I had to say the heck with it and relocate the eye bolts.   I made no cut outs near the mast......and the supports there were too narrow to fit them......so I located them along the outer edge.

post-612-0-90589900-1476808614.jpg

other eye bolts and blocks were fitted as well for the boom rigging since that picture was taken.   the booms themselves got fitted with eye bolts and blocks too.

post-612-0-35910700-1476808707.jpg

post-612-0-86189300-1476808717.jpg

the winch is coming along....as mentioned.   I found that using the metal frames would be impossible,  so I made up a couple pairs from these four pieces of wood cut outs,  that came from two different kits.   one pair is 1/16 thick,  and the other pair is 1/8 thick.   the shape is duplicated from the metal frames,  and I cut them with the scroll saw.   once sanded and matched up identical to one another,  the first hole was drilled into each one.......this will be for the larger reels.

post-612-0-20819200-1476809038.jpg

then........after a bit of figuring........the second set of holes were drilled for the smaller reels.

post-612-0-40602700-1476809124.jpg

now,  I don't plan on using all of them........they give me enough to arrive at the finished winch.   I had made some other reels earlier........some were small {you saw those}........but I made three larger ones.   the trouble with these,  is that they are not wide enough,  so they may not get used.   if not,  I can use them for that other fishing boat........they won't go to waste  ;)    getting the measurement from the larger reels,  I made three more reels........smaller but to the same width as the larger ones.

post-612-0-29734000-1476809505.jpg

I did set up the larger reels in the winch frames.....I used three of them here.   I'm not picturing the finished winch looking like this.......I want to incorporate some gear work in the winch.....interlocking,  or with chain belts.

post-612-0-94486700-1476809679.jpg

post-612-0-65815700-1476809692.jpg

throughout the pictures.........you can see plastic gears.  I had gotten them from a motorize stuffed holiday toy....a snowman and dog that sings Jingle bells {Gibbs loved it so much,  after it broke,  we got another one from e-bay}.

the interaction between Gibbs and the toy is so cool...........as jingle bells is sung,  the little dog howls.........and so does Gibbs.   he's almost to the point that he can do it howl for howl.....right up to the big finish!   So darn funny!  anyway......I might be able to use some of the gears.........it will depend how they look in combination with the gears I got from Hobby Lobby.  

so this is where I'm at at the moment........last week was a bust.   I got a little done,  but there were too many interruptions and work has been a total bugger to get through...........have I told you that I'm REALLY starting to hate my job!  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Nice work. Keep on. I like your style

My ( daughter's) cat likes opera ?!?!? When it shows idea to climb to workbench, I just turn Requiem, and it sleeps at once. What will be medicine for Bobtail when it comes, we'll see

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

thank you for the kind word and the likes  :)   I got to have a bit of fun yesterday........not to mention that this week end is a vacation for me  ;)   once all this is sorted out.......the rest should be a walk in the park {Gibbs will like that  ;) }   update in a moment  :)

Hi John.......back again?   I hope it was for fun,  and nothing medical.........your my favorite moderator,  don'tcha know!  

hey Nenad  :)     it's documented that animals are easily affected by sound......the tone.   Gibbs sometimes will sit under my desk,  when I'm play'in my bass,  but will howl when I'm tuning my guitar.   case in point........I never play guitar  ;)   see what happens when you play the song 'cat scratch fever'  :D  :D

for bobtail......I might suggest country...........songs like 'I'm in the dog house now'  ;)    ba-num-bum!    thanks for the good word.......you'll like this next bit,  I think  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I got some cool time in yesterday..........oooo-la-la  let's play dress up   :stunned:    mix 'n match to see what the latest fashion trawlers are wearing this year!   I finished setting up the frame to house all four reels.   I had to drill through the smaller ones,  and with out a drill press........or anything that would help me drill square,  it was a tall order.   I did manage to do it,  with a couple of goof ups along the way,  to make it interesting.

post-612-0-23692100-1476892658.jpg

I changed my mind about the plastic.........I only have one size thickness anyway.   I'm using the thinner frame sides and a wood base.   the holes in two 8 mm pulley reels were made larger to separate them.  I have a supply of larger brass rod for the lower reels.

post-612-0-94806400-1476892688.jpg

post-612-0-11309500-1476894253.jpg

the big problem for it though,  is that it doesn't have a gear box.   I added one in.

post-612-0-82572800-1476894330.jpg

it droops down in the front.......mainly because it doesn't touch the base.  I cut a piece of dowel to make up the difference.

post-612-0-03721000-1476894453.jpg

it's not exact......it still droops a tiny bit.   I would have to make a gear box for it.......wood or plastic.

post-612-0-69930100-1476894840.jpg

I mentioned that I was thinking about making it chain belt driven.   I tried a few different types of chain that I have and came up with this.   possible color combination........gray or primer red sides and gearbox,  flat black base,  flat red reels, and flat black gears and chain belts.  any other parts ....suit to taste.

post-612-0-82517000-1476895118.jpg

now I did look at the Mary Ann winch to get an idea of it as well.   keen to note that it only worked the gallows.

post-612-0-07226400-1476895285.jpg

of course,  I did some extra detail on it.......reworking the gearbox with access panels.......and then making a goof with the frame {it's backwards}.   it didn't hurt it,  so I left it as it was.   paint was the bulk of the detail.

post-612-0-13215700-1476895591.jpg

post-612-0-85969000-1476895606.jpg

post-612-0-98463400-1476895618.jpg

the teeth on the gears are very blunt........perhaps if I were to file them,  the chain belt would fit on them better.   the picture you see is the only one I could get....darn chain wouldn't behave.   I like the looks though.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Hi Denis

Wow! Very nice. Each photo I look at, brings up more and more detail to see. You must've been really busy and productive in between your updates, because there's certainly been a lot of great progress to date.

Cheers

Patrick

Edited by Omega1234

thanks for the kind word and the likes  :)   the assembly has begun.......the frame is assembled.as well as some painting.   work in progress  :)  the gears have been filed.........and I've put another aspect into the works.   update soon  ;)

sad to hear to be sure John......although I'm glad to hear you and the Mrs. are fine.   give Pam my best and I hope her mom is doing better.   I have fond memories of my mother in law.....they are so precious.  ;)

thanks Patrick and Carl........the most interesting thing about trawlers is the machinery that drives them.   it's fun trying to shed some light on them......I hope I can balance it out with the rigging.  

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock: