Trawler Syborn by popeye the sailor - 1:33 - Finished

Hello Denis,

I also just caught-up with your building progress.  Yeah, hurricane Mathew came in between with all the ensuing cleanup work.  Like your ingenuity with making the different parts.  The ship is looking great.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Hi Denis

I love the way that you think and the way that those thoughts are translated into the actual build process. It's almost as if we can follow your thought patterns picture by picture.

For instance, the way you tackle the winch is a good case in point. We can see how each little bit that you add to it is the result of a spark of ingenuity and creativity; all of which will result in something believable and realistic.

Nicely done!

Cheers

Patrick

thanks to everyone for your kind comments and who hit the like button  :)   I got pulled away yesterday to do a few things to our car...inspect and see what I'd need for some upcoming exhaust work,  plug and repair a tire,  and took off one of the rear tires,  dismounting and mounting another tire on it.  I did it by hand,  something I used to do when I was young and living at home on the farm.  of course,  it was easier then......we had the tool for it....a bead breaker.

I did do a little though.........I should have pictures up for it soon  ;)

I forgot to acknowledge a post you made earlier John........I do apologize.   it pleases me to have such accomplished modelers,  like yourself,  looking in on my build.......there's some hope for me yet  ;)

thanks Pat........that must have been a funny sight to see.   I did a comical thing to the Nordkap......there is a picture of Popeye and Olive dancing and a picture of Poopdeck Pappy hanging in the helm room.  I did it as a joke for Tom,  when I was sending build logs to Billing USA.  it still can be seen on the Billing USA website......a condensed build log done by Tom.  Roger @ Ages of Sail was kind enough to keep the site up and running.  I have been adding extra detail and bashing ever since that very first model...looking back on it,  I smile seeing how primitive I was.   I'm constantly learning from folks here on the site........though I hope to aspire to the level of those I'm learning from,  I just as happy doing what I'm doing and maintaining that 'this can't be it' attitude  :)

hello Piet.........thanks for the good word!   glad to hear you got through the hurricane alright.......it could have been a heck of a lot worse.   I'm hoping you can find the time to get back into some modeling again.........I miss seeing your work  :)

are you sure you want to do that Patrick?.........your Shadow..........might become the 'dark Shadow' :D  :D   thanks for the good word my friend.......it's all relative to scale......or is it?!?!?   the models you build take lots of planning and fitting........the level of detail you add is amazing.  we are learning from each other,  I think...........and quite pleased to do so  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Always room for improvement Denis :)   I sit imagining those two small paintings and smile; I'll have to have a look at that site - The popeye cartoons are still a favourite.  

I look at my Endeavour (which I am just finishing) and lament some of the silly things I did back in the early years of the build which later affected the final finish - if we are not improving then we could call ourselves Masters and I have a long way to go before that (not in my lifetime at least :))

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

if those silly thing are visible Pat........I sure as hell can't see them  ;)   I wouldn't count yourself short either.......that is one magnificent ship you've built.   I'm still work'in my way towards finishing ships like the Endeavour.........I've got two {actually three} active in my project roster.  I'm planning one of them to be next,  but I still have two more fishing vessels I can do,  should I chicken out.   I will try and snap a picture of the helm room,  of the Nordkap....they can be seen through the windows pretty well.   too bad the build log was lost in the initial site crash......I'd still love to build another one.....to be laser cut would be a real treat!  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

this week didn't pan out the way I wanted it to.  way too much in and out.   I did get around to painting the gallows winch frame.   there were some holes along the sides of the motor box.....unused since I change the configuration.  I cut a couple rectangle pieces of brass sheet {they are small},  dimpled them with a rounded dental bit {to simulate the bolts},  and glued them over the holes.   it was painted to match the boom winch,  a dark gray.

post-612-0-91335300-1478271280.jpg

I still need to touch up the boom winch....maybe add a few more small parts,  but I thought to put it in place on the deck to see how it would look.  there is plenty of room........I put a control box at the rear of the motor box......I can see that I'll need to add some buttons,  perhaps a lever or two.

post-612-0-83787000-1478272228.jpg

post-612-0-48790400-1478272242.jpg

The gallows winch will be belt driven.   I've set the pulleys for the reels.....the crank pulley,  you've already seen.  the block pulleys have been painted as well....I made seven of them to insure that I have enough.   I may need to make a pair of double pulleys......I'm thinking that they may need to be made vertical,  rather than horizontal.   I'll have to see.

post-612-0-14598600-1478272578.jpg

I started to make the conveyors for the receiving bins.........you saw the beginnings of it earlier.   sides were made for the template........an outer frame piece was added to the sides,  and smaller dowels were added down the center.   the smaller dowels will support the belt as it wraps around the end dowels of the template.......it's level with the end dowels.

it was at this time I decided to do a dry fit,  and I found that I forgot to make the adjusted ones {which are shorter} and it is too long.  I'll finish it anyway............it will be my proto type  ;)

post-612-0-46059500-1478273070.jpg

the belt is the sail cloth painted flat black

post-612-0-46120000-1478273105.jpg

here I go again........I gotta head out  :(   I will be back  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Super nice work, Denis.  I'm fascinated by where this is headed.... I have no idea, but fascinated anyway.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

thanks for the kind comments Jud and Gary......welcome to the log!   :)    there is always room for new faces.  I never thought of that Jud......hose reels!  I'll look into it.........thanks for the suggestion   :)

thanks to all of you who hit  the like button........I didn't want to go too far with that conveyor,  since it won't fit.   I need to make the others still,  but I did cement the belt on it.   too bad I didn't paint it......it would have looked better.   given a base platform and some wheels,   and it just might look the part   ;)

the other ones will look a little bit different .     get them done and then the winch assembled......and I can start to put the mid ship together.  first I gotta get through this thing called work.  thanks again for look'in in   :)    

thanks Mark........it's a secret.........I don't even know !  :D                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   

Edited by popeye the sailor

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

hey there Den.......did you sell your house?   :)   welcome .....always a pleasure!   thanks for the kind word!

I didn't get too much done today..........I think I'm suffering from work lag.  Tuesday is usually a 'bang around' day for me.....

....sometimes I can get into a build mode.   today though......I was a putz on the site ;)    I did do something though....my mind would go off on a tangent,  while viewing a log.......and there I'd go.......tinkering with wood or whatever.  here are the hooks I made last week........

post-612-0-61446100-1478649537.jpg

I had to make the right side pulleys due to a mind change.......but I set up the left side,  winding the reels with cordage.

post-612-0-99628500-1478649636.jpg

I could have done a real positive thing and assembled the conveyors  {with the correct parts,  of course}.......but I was drawn to the proto type.   I added the belt.......wish I would have painted the body.......but I added a bottom to it.   

post-612-0-50868200-1478649900.jpg

from here I thought of adding a sort of framework,  connected to a base frame with wheels.  my daydream further included  hydraulic pistons that would elevate the front end of the conveyor.  at the airport,  I work on equipment like this.......on one side is a motor,  which enables the conveyor to move under it's own power,  as well as run the belt.  it has a long handle in which to steer.......the forward and reverse......and to raise the conveyor platform.   I stopped short of doing all that though........I've put this much together......and I see that it is doable  ;)

post-612-0-11538900-1478650291.jpg

post-612-0-20767800-1478650303.jpg

I may finish it.......what the heck.......it's make a cute little model all on it's own  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Look good Denis, definitely finish it up.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

thanks Michael and Sjors for the kind word!   thanks for the likes as well.    but it's a work boat Sjors..........I get the best,  and worst of both worlds!  ;)

working on the conveyors off and on here.........still doing the tangent thing while visiting the site.   later on,  we are going to visit my older son's house and see Ari Reddington Wenzel again............what a mouthful for a name  :D    good look'in lad,  none the less ;)   I should have something to report later on....so until then.........have fun!  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

hey there!   Hi!   it's me........the crazy sailor!  :)   betcha been wonder'in what the heck I've been doing.   well,  I've managed to spend some time at the table,  in spite of running errands and stuff.  I concentrated on the conveyors to start off with.

using the correct measurements,   the frames were made.......and I had cut the sides for them.

post-612-0-57487900-1478807079.jpg

with the side on and some sanding done......I found that one of them was off.   so......I had to make another frame.

post-612-0-11104000-1478807156.jpg

a test fit showed I had a good pair.

post-612-0-51903200-1478807285.jpg

cutting the smaller dowel,  the rollers were cemented in place.

post-612-0-58722300-1478807355.jpg

I had to cut another belt.........this one should be enough to do both of them.

post-612-0-31155300-1478807405.jpg

I ended this session here.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

all this happened between last night and today.   time to get stuff painted.   all of the block pulleys are now assembled.  I keep all the stubs of brass rod.......in this case,  it was the welding wire.   the brass pulleys were slid in place and pinned.

post-612-0-98711700-1478808595.jpg

control boxes were cemented on the exposed part of the conveyors and painted.   along with this,  several 10 mm brads were set up,  and the heads were painted red and black.

post-612-0-94481700-1478808764.jpg

when dry,  the belts were added,  along with the buttons,  after the holes were drilled in the control boxes for them.

post-612-0-89969500-1478808873.jpg

the bottom plate was added and a base to elevate them off the deck.

post-612-0-26526000-1478808950.jpg

once they were all done and painted.......this is what they will look like.

post-612-0-50411600-1478809274.jpg

I probably could have gotten away with a shorter base......height-wise,  but these will do  :)   idea #2 came out well.  for something not normally seen,  it tosses a bit of automation into the mix  ;)

post-612-0-59114100-1478809570.jpg

post-612-0-71349100-1478809581.jpg

post-612-0-13073700-1478809593.jpg

now to get that gallows winch finished,  so the fireworks can begin  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

That looks great Denis, some nice detail there and they look the part!

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Full deck. Amazing, Denis!

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

thanks Pat and Nenad  :)   I think that by the time I get done with this winch........I'll have to rework the other one!

thanks for the good word all!  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Looks really sweet Denis, Nice work 

Best Regards,

Pete 

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

Nice idea Denis with the belts, they look great!!! Nice work again....

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Denis,

boxes and belt conveyors look very realistic. :) 

As said before though, I`m missing the fish, emptying the trawl net hanging from the gallows...... and a fisherman or two in apron weather resistant dressing and rubber boots with a fish-knife in his hands, doing his tough job...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

fine deck and conveyer detail.  But do you need a table for the man with the knife that Nils mentioned or are the fish sent to the hold whole?

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Denis,

boxes and belt conveyors look very realistic. :)

As said before though, I`m missing the fish, emptying the trawl net hanging from the gallows...... and a fisherman or two in apron weather resistant dressing and rubber boots with a fish-knife in his hands, doing his tough job...

Nils

Worked on a Troller, ( Cape Race out of Bellingham, Wash. fishing SE Alaska waters ), on deck, was very glad to have a wash down hose for the boat and crew, kept a long handled brush handy with the hose to get the scales and fish slime off the boat and ourselves. I say crew, ours was the Skipper and myself. Wash down hoses are a very important part of the fishing gear. I know, repeating myself about the hose, but the deck won't be complete without one, probably two on this vessel.

jud

oh my!   thanks so much for the overwhelmingly fine comments and likes!    as I mentioned....I'd be surprised if there was a trawler out there set up like this........but it has turned out to be fun,  throwing automation and function into the build.   I plan to portray it as ready,  heading out to the fishing area,  since with weathering and a full box,  is something I've never done before.  I'd be too worried that I'd make a mess of it.  the catch is another dilemma,  as to whether the catch is prepped in any way or harvested live.......some do and some don't.  I was going to have smaller conveyors on wheels in front of the hold,  but to keep it simple,  I shot it down.  I enjoy all the suggestions though....please keep them coming.  I have a few things I want to add,  as extra detail, some in which were suggested to me........even site links would be a big help.  I have found some,  but I still have gray areas concerning the process of trawl fishing.   I'm glad to see the interest,  you folks have shown......even after tabling it for so long.   I brought it back out,  to put a quick finish to it....but to those who know me........I'm sure you figured that wasn't going to happen   ;)   true to form......I've added extra ideas I've come up with,  and your suggestions are giving me more   :)  I haven't done too much today.........too busy watching the sad affairs that are going on.   I have begun to add the belts to the gallows winch....add a bit more,  and then the mid ship can start coming together.   I have one picture though,  that seemed to land in one of the other folders...

post-612-0-56759000-1478898601.jpg

the right side is loaded and all the pulleys are in place.  I did run into one more small problem with this,  but I was able to remedy it with little trouble.   I should have more soon  :)

thanks again for look'in in.......there's still more to go!  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock: