Trawler Syborn by popeye the sailor - 1:33 - Finished

duly noted Jud.........see what I can do  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

I wanted to get this in to you before bed time.........back to work I'm afraid  :(   playtime's over.......blaaaaaaaa!

I worked on the gallows winch for a while this evening.   of course,  in doing the belts,  I ran across a problem....right from the get-go.   the routing was going to be fouled,  since the belt for the inner pulley run,  had to start under the crank pulley. 

how ever I ran it,  it was going to interfere with the crank pulley.  the only alternative,  was to install an idler pulley and redirect the belt so it would crossover to the other side without being in the line of the crank pulley.   this was not going to be easy........the only possible spot for a hole to be drilled,  was under the crank pulley........and that is solid brass.   it wasn't all that bad though.......I used my cordless drill,  with a brad size drill  {it's like a toothpick in a giant's hand......if you saw my black & decker cordless......the thing is huge}....and managed to drill the hole.

post-612-0-36257800-1478916751.jpg

with a 10 mm brad,  and a 4 mm brass pulley,  the idler pulley was installed.

post-612-0-68173200-1478916817.jpg

this was for the belt routing for the outer pulleys {reels}.   a second belt routes around the inner pulleys {reels}.  here is how it looks.

post-612-0-29017100-1478916988.jpg

another thing I saw with it,  was that the cables {cord}  needs to be routed from the deck level......from under,  not over like the boom winch.   I will need to make a pair of double block pulleys,  which will be located at the base of the winch frame.   I began to make them,  as I did with the single ones.

post-612-0-71534000-1478917173.jpg

while these were drying,  the brake levers were added to the winch.  ...not too elaborate,  but they give the look  ;)

post-612-0-35314900-1478917281.jpg

I need to add some to the boom winch......that will be back on the table soon.   the block pulley frames were sanded and drilled for the pair of 4 mm brass pulleys that will be inserted in them.   I have plenty of wire stubbles......I may need to make another pair......we'll see.

post-612-0-23473600-1478917456.jpg

these were then painted.........and when the first one was dry,  it was fitted with the pulleys,  the wire ends trimmed,  and cemented in place on the winch frame.

post-612-0-60218900-1478917533.jpg

by now....the other one should be dry enough to assemble and cement into place.   then I can route the cord {cable} through them.   once I find out if another pair of double block pulleys are needed.....the game can begin!  I can start to populate the deck with all this stuff I been making  :)  a few extra bit will be thrown in for interest.....I hope  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Fantastic details, Denis.  Almost too many to absorb but keep 'em coming.  She's looking a very workmanlike trawler.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

thanks Mark for the kind word.....and thank you all for the likes.  :)    I shortened my work week by taking Monday off........it will give me more time  ;)

can't wait to get back to her  ;)   glad you like the progress so far  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Great solution Denis, and a testament to your skills.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

thanks Pat........I think your skills are so much more though.  coming from you,  it's quite a compliment  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I took Monday off.......I was planning on getting a head start on the mid ship reno.   what do I end up doing.....an oil change for my son,  and looking for phantoms,   and then sick by the afternoon  :(    whoa........did I see that coming or what?!?!?!

so I ended the day,  romancing the porcelain god and being a drone on the couch.  I did get a little time at the table in though.   to start off with.......I had to reduce the deck to pre-October.....

post-612-0-04447300-1479265871.jpg

first order of business........cement an eye bolt at each gallow.

post-612-0-96044300-1479265919.jpg

I cemented the other double block pulley I made to the other side of the gallows winch.   then pull all the cords {cables} under the reels and route them through the block pulleys

post-612-0-15113100-1479266031.jpg

...that was as far as I got......it was off to go tinker with my son Kevin's car.   kinda felt like crap then.......it got worse as I went along.   don't know what it was........but I guess it was good that I took the day off from work.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Sorry to hear that you are a little under the weather. the winches are looking very nice.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

I feel much better today.  for some reason I was still under quarantine though......couldn't cut any wood,  can't go out to the garage.........so fine!   I'll work on my boat!  ;)  {reverse psychology works every time}  ;)  let me at that drudgery!

as mentioned......I know I'm gonna need a couple more of those double block pulleys,  so I started with those.   I made four of them.

post-612-0-70844500-1479266580.jpg

post-612-0-81422500-1479266592.jpg

looking and thinking about it a bit further,  I think I can get away with just a pair of them.  so they were drilled,  fitted,  and painted.   then they were reassembled.

post-612-0-97319400-1479266703.jpg

these will be located near the aft gallows.   the winch was ready to be cemented in place on the deck.

post-612-0-07440300-1479266777.jpg

two pairs of single block pulleys were cemented along the bulwarks to the fore gallows.

post-612-0-68853300-1479266859.jpg

I made the double block pulleys the same size as the first pair I made.......after cementing each one next to the aft gallows,   the rigging was done.

post-612-0-41608400-1479266956.jpg

post-612-0-78747400-1479266967.jpg

post-612-0-67507200-1479266981.jpg

the hook were added to the cables and to each of the eye bolts...I still need to tie them off.   the first part is almost done.

the second part tomorrow.........I have to make a few parts still  ;)  enjoy!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

thanks Michael......talk about getting blind sided!   I have to add a bit more to the other winch now.  perhaps I'll do that tomorrow.  thanks for look'in in and the good word.   love what your doing with your reno job!  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I'm just sittin' here shakin' my head and going "Wow"...    Moving along nicely and looking great, Denis.   I hope the crud leaves you soon.  

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Nicely done, Dennis. I would have expected standing sheave blocks on the deck, and the metal type at the foot of those beams ... Hope you feel better soon, i.e. good enough to work on your model ...

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

The 'porcelain god' must have heard your prayers mate; those winches are looking good!

cheers

Pat

Edited by BANYAN

thanks to all for the kind comments and the likes.   I do feel better now.....still unsure what that was all about...felt fine in the AM.

thanks Mark,  John,  and Pat.   the mid ship will look more functional and complete,  once everything is on the deck.  ;)

thanks Carl........I had thoughts of locating the block pulleys along the bulwark posts,  which would have made them vertical,  but they were to large to fit and I couldn't see making more.  since being located on the deck.......the 'kit' common place in all the past kits I've built,  I located them there.   actually,  I was going to refer to them as sheave blocks,  but I thought the terminology might be wrong  ;)   as for the other blocks.......I have quite a few of them...might as well make use of them.   you know......I bought those brass pulleys in three different sizes........I'm beginning to run low already  ;)   I'm going to have to order more....they are quite versatile.   I'll see if I can stoke up a good head of steam today  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Unbelievable.....

You are not from this world Popeye !

You are coming from a planet that called " master of shipbuilding " !

I think there are more builders who lived there .

And I don't have a passport so I will stay on the planet earth  :D  :D

Sjors

thanks Sjors for the kind word!   I think it has another name.........the twilight zone!  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I wish I could have been more fruitful with an update this week.   the second part of the mid ship assembly has produced quite a few ideas....mostly in the way of things to add.  rather than any progress forward.   it has also led to some mass production,  to add to the tedium of the situation.  to get a feel for what I want to add....or what I could possibly add,  the fish box was put back in place.   everything from the first part of the assembly was correctly placed.

post-612-0-06173300-1479485572.jpg

all of the termination points from the gallows was cemented and trimmed.

post-612-0-06757700-1479485651.jpg

I agreed with you Jud........the fish bow needs some sort of apparatus to keep it clean.   a pair of reels were made up,  slicing more dowel for the sides and the center spacer parts.   I would not have thought that dowel was porous,  but with thin slices in assembling the reels,  I could see CA filter through them.   an added pain......they kept sticking to my fingers.  two reel racks were made too,  to hold the reels.   they are still in their raw state.

post-612-0-28899500-1479486121.jpg

it took some sanding and fashioning to get them to shape.  but here they are,  partially assembled.

post-612-0-15611400-1479486258.jpg

hose..........I'll do what I've done in the past.   I have Billing cord {thread}....supplied in kit for the anchor rigging,  large enough for it.   I'm going to douse it down with paint,  and groom it until it is smooth.   hmmmmmmm,  what color?  I have some lime green......a neon green that you wouldn't catch me dead,  painting a boat hull in.   clamping one end of the cord in my vise,  paint was poured on a rag and whipped onto the cord...in one direction only....this will make all the hairs lay down.  it was messaged over and over.......as it was drying,  it would become tacky.......then I could stop.

post-612-0-16843700-1479486781.jpg

I thought of other types of racks........I began making these.

post-612-0-58985800-1479486875.jpg

there are to be four of these.......toggling between them,  I made rope coils.

post-612-0-07663700-1479486955.jpg

I made another type as well......these likely will be piled on the deck.

post-612-0-41832300-1479487017.jpg

I thought of a good compliment to them.....I could make some of my buoys.   I first made them when I did the Nordkap,  but I actually did come up with the idea,  until I started the Cux 87.  confusing........I was working on the Nordkap,  in contact with Tom @ Billings at this point.  in our conversations,  he asked if I knew anyone who would want to build a model or two for him.  they would be used for exhibitions at expos,  on his business site as compressed build logs,  and just to show folks what the finished product would look like.  I didn't jump at the chance,  but I did mention that perhaps some folks here on the site would like to volunteer.  kinda cool........kit to build for free......although you'd need to arrange to get it back to him afterwards  {scary thought,  in my view....Wisconsin}.  I was already sending him Nordkap build logs.

I forget if he ever asked here on the site {he had opened dialog in the dealer section}....but the short of it all went by later bringing up the subject again,  me expressing my doubts,  him not having any doubts,  and me excepting.  so I ended up with two builds in the works.  the idea came around with the cux,  and I applied it on the Nordkap as well.  quite a bit of knowledge and stuff was learned by the time these two were finished....a lot of it was gleaned here.  I thought about the buoys.......but then I thought that they might make dandy lanterns.  I thought they might confuse one another,  even though the color of them would be different.   I once showed how to make them......but it was long lost with the first big crash.   if anyone would like,  I can show it again......it was my initial foray into craft stores and what they had to offer.

anyway.........now that I had these parts ready.......I should paint them.   that happened next.

post-612-0-51941700-1479488380.jpg

I also painted up some chain to look rusty and crap.........kinda made me laugh with this one aspect I wanted to try to do,  so I could at least make one iota of progress.   along the platform of the fore deck stairway,  I had placed some hooks.

post-612-0-61030800-1479488615.jpg

you might see them in the picture.   once painted,  I was going to add some chain loops to it...and there you go......a quaint bit of detail.   well...........you see how close the rabbit hole is to where I'm working?   that's where the chain went!

my eyes were trained on the hook and trying to get the link to slip on.........I dropped it and heard the link tinkling sound of it as it went down inside the hull!.  I tried to fish it out,  turning the hull upside down and shaking it back and fourth,  but by that time,  I wasn't sure where it was in the hull.    that's what I get..........;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

thanks for the like Bob....making all the sub assemblies can be a slow process.   I got back to the table after posting the last update,  and I was able to put a few things together.  I had painted up a couple more sections of chain....I hung the longer one off from the platform.

post-612-0-65595500-1479506042.jpg

I thought it lacked something,  so I gave it some darker brown highlights which got rid of some of the gold that showed through.   coming up with another idea,  I put these parts together.....

post-612-0-85374400-1479506208.jpg

the racks......I made them for both ends of the fish box...fore and aft.   I added the ones at the bow end.

post-612-0-56125100-1479506558.jpg

then I filled them........

post-612-0-04926900-1479506590.jpg

the aft pair,  I put a piece of chain into the mix.  I added the darker brown highlight to it before putting it in place.

post-612-0-35020200-1479506705.jpg

after adding the darker brown highlight to the chain at the platform,  I added something else........a hose reel.  I didn't know what to do about the nozzle,  so I just painted the the tip gold to simulate brass.   I made sure that I plumbed it in with a water supply.

post-612-0-50302600-1479506912.jpg

with the fish box in place on the deck.....they're not the best....but here is what it looks like so far.  

post-612-0-21349700-1479507043.jpg

post-612-0-13695300-1479507059.jpg

I still have a couple things going at the table.........if I get anything more done,  I'll post it  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Man that's looking good Denis; some great detail there and looking more n' more the part.

keep em coming, this an enjoyable log to follow.

cheers

Pat

thanks for the kind comments and for all the likes  :)   I got those other two hose reels in place and made up the parts to plumb them in.  I speared my finger again..........cutting that mig wire,  and when it cut through,  it sent the stub off like a rocket,  into my finger.  it's only a flesh wound  :D :D  :D

night time stuff is beginning to take over.......I took to reading logs I haven't read before.   the two that I read,  really made my 'inner novice' show through,  with the stuff I do.......they are absolutely beautiful.  it's all good though.......I'm happy with the level I'm at.......as long as I can play  ;)

your way too kind Pat  :)   thanks for the good word.  I imagine........therefore I build  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Supern work my friend - I couldn't find the right words to come up with as I was Trawling your build, its the cods honest truth - Im Battered by the skill in your build just hope you find some Place to put it when built.

Great Work :)

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Super nice details, Denis.   The hanging ropes and chains are the perfect touch.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

The story of the chain falling down the hole had me laughing to myself... at your expense of course.

Super details, they just keep appearing, very inspiring and you sound like you are having a lot of fun. Watch out for that spear fishing though it can be tough on the paws.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

thanks to everyone for the kind comments...and to those who hit the like button.   I am surprised by the response. :)    what can I say......I'm glad that ya like it.  this is the other hull I made when I did the M&M Fun Ship.   it has been fun trying things out...seeing if they would work in a model like this.  a bit of futuristic and automation.......and to make it functional.  it's isn't a real vessel....only in my mind....

I  sat at my desk here last night...after cementing the reels in place, and painting up the plumbing for them....letting them dry.   I put all the other stuff back on the deck.......I'm like a kid.....gotta see all this as it's happening.  moved by your comments and likes,  I snapped these pictures tonight......after cementing the plumbing in place {I still gotta clean it up}.   there's still a little more to go yet.......but here is how it looks so far.   I feel a cad if I didn't show you   ;)

the reels are in place.

post-612-0-69874700-1479604455.jpg

and here is the whole layout so far.  I added some rope coils on the deck.......as said,  still more to go  :)

post-612-0-07823300-1479604579.jpg

post-612-0-51577800-1479604590.jpg

yes Michael.......I have some spear racks in the works.  glad I could make you laugh.......that'll teach me to put tape over the hole  ;)  again,  I really appreciate your kind word  ;)                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Looks smashing Dennis. Wouldn't you need some planking to push the catch in the box, so it won't block the conveyor belt ... or to avoid the catch from falling of at either end ...

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

super progress Denis,

The trawler looks mighty good...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50