Trawler Syborn by popeye the sailor - 1:33 - Finished

I would think some trawler skippers would be envious of this set-up Denis :)

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Nice work Denis, Well done looks Awesome 

Best Regards,

Pete 

Edited by Pete48

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

thank you all for the kind comments and the likes!   :)   I tried look'in last nite,  but it was a fool's errand.....way too tired from a very rough work week.I got a couple small tasks to do........then I can get back to my much needed play time   ;)

I bet they would pat......perhaps they need a few more visionaries in the engineering dept.   ;)

that end needs to be open Carl.,  so the catch can fall into the sort area.   you do uncover a design flaw though........I should add a cover over the control buttons,  so they don't get all fishy washy   ;)   :D   :D   :D

Edited by popeye the sailor

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

I'm just wondering how the fishermen get inside the sorting area, or do they just walk over the white table in the middle?

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

thanks for the continued interest my friends.  :)   I was hoping I'd have something to report,  but my projects took longer than I thought...I even put up the Christmas lights along the roof of the garage.  I get to my desk........but besides looking in on the site.and news,  I'd end up tinkering with an Adam west Batmobile I have sprawled in front of me {I have already done the Michael Keaton version}.  today being a holiday.......nawwwww.......even a holiday doesn't prevent me from tinkering  :)   we'll see what I kin git done t'day ;)

oh crap.......another design flaw!   I suppose they could enter the sort area by walking over the hold before they opened it Michael.......or climb in from the dump ramps.  I guess it would be one more thing,  left to the imagination ;)

Carl........your too much  :D  :D  :D

well folks.......best get crack'in!   have a Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Hi Denis

I've just done a very quick catch up and wow, have I missed a lot.  Absolutely amazing.  I love the details and the thought processes that you've put into designing and building everything.

Marvellous stuff!!

Cheers

Patrick

thanks Patrick  :)   glad to see your aboard.......I was wondering where you were  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

:D  :D    you warp the wood that-a-way!  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

• 2 weeks later...

hello Lawrence.......thanks for the good word  :)   I bought the pulleys from Billing USA........they would do well for sheave pulleys,  especially the 4 mm.  they are small enough....don't remember if they came any smaller.  unfortunately,  I haven't had much time to go further with the trawler.  I hope to have an update soon.   thanks again for look'in in.......I know you've been pretty busy yourself.  your Bounty looks sweet!  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

This model has some really nice looking details. I like the rope coils and pin racks especially.

Russ

hello Russ........and thank you as well!   :)   I've got some other bits I wanna throw in there.......gonna call for some mass production.   I'll be happy to sit down with it again {what am I saying,  I usually stand   :D  }........I hope to get the mast cemented finally into place,  as well as the boom winch,  and get some more rigging on her   ;)   thanks again for look'in in and the good word!

I still want to show how to make convincing buoys........I showed it earlier with the Nordkap and the Cux........but the info was lost in the big crash.  it would be cool to put it back out there for everyone to try   :)    buoys go good with rope coils   ;)

......like cookies and milk!   :D   :D

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

it's been a busy couple of weeks.........glad to be on some sort of 'even keel' again   :)   I have done some modeling though,  in between the hustle and bustle..............one bit in particular.....you're gonna think I've gone stark raving mad {I am......but that's besides the point}.   the Syborn is still on the table;  I've vowed for it not to leave,  unless it's finished.  the other table is a mess.......but I'll leave that for the other story.  

yesterday,  what started out as a procrastination from the mass production I was about to undertake,  was put into action.  a picture I showed earlier,  was the beginning of it.   the next step was to create the gaffs for the rack I started to shape.   I will have more very soon........but this is the only picture I have at the moment.

post-612-0-24006000-1481726982.jpg

little bits of brass glued on the tips of tooth picks.....rather crude,  but effective.   my fingers have lost the sense of touch,  since being coated with CA.........this process is just as aggravating as I thought it would be.   either the piece is crooked,  or it lays down to one side or the other.......I have to keep propping it back to where I want the brass to position.  now I have to shape....and then paint them.   it will be a process........but I will proceed,  and eventually succeed 

be back in a bit.........thanks again to all who are looking in  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Hang in there Denis; it will be worth the frustration of construction in the end and provide some more lovely detail!

cheers

Pat

thanks Pat and John........it'll be worth it for sure.   with the stuff I deal with at work.......the CA will peel off  ;)

thanks for the likes as well!  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I'm still in the process of continuing here.......but if I may digress for a moment.  I mentioned this earlier,  that I would show you fine folks how I made buoys.......for the Nordkap,  Cux 87....and I think I did it for the Mary Ann {I did so many thing on that build}.   I went looking through the picture files for these builds.......boy!  did I take crappy pictures back then!   I guess the Sony camera I had wasn't so cutting edge after all  :D  :D  :D

it all starts at the craft store........in the bead dept.   you want to pick the smallest ones you can find.   I chose these barrel shaped beads......one,  they are made of metal,  two,  they come apart,  so they are easier to paint,  and three,  because they were decorative...added detail can be a good thing.   round ones can be used as well.....an eyelet on one end and a tiny shaft on the other,  painted up,  would make a dandy buoy.   I removed the eyelet from one end of the bead and took them apart to cement in a 7 mm brad in the empty hole.   the existing eyelet can be adjusted to look better and fit tighter.

post-612-0-25140500-1482339211.jpg

post-612-0-50035100-1482339230.jpg

from here,  the halves can be painted to taste.   I chose red and white for the Nordkap,  and yellow and white for the Cux 87.       I just took a look at the Mary Ann........I used some left over red and white ones..I made too many for 'ole Nordie.   you can place them among some rope coils......

post-612-0-45347400-1482340096.jpg

post-612-0-00968900-1482340124.jpg

post-612-0-69937200-1482340137.jpg

......or they can be strung along any place that needs a little extra pizzazz

post-612-0-17676700-1482340239.jpg 

I also used some longer slender beads for the buoy markers in the Andrea Gail build.   craft stores have a lot to offer,  so when you go......put your imagination in high gear  ;)   I also saw this picture of the Nordkap.......I was so green when I built this model,  but I learned to 'bash' and 'scratch' from the very beginning.   it wasn't till I found MSW,  that I found out how to expand it.   while some were hanging maps and charts..........

post-612-0-22976500-1482341667.jpg

the logs on these two vessels have long since been lost to the big crash.  at one time,  I had a thought to redo the Nordkap build.  for the folks just starting this wonderful medium,   this build would be interesting to them.   I was new to the medium myself.......I made plenty of mistakes,  but I think the solutions I came up with would be helpful to them.

I was on such a roll........gotta get back to this build.   I hope to have an update soon.......thanks to all those who are looking in.  I appreciate it  :)     Merry Christmas!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

That's a neat way of doing buoys Denis, thanks for sharing.

cheers

Pat

A master of thinking outside the box or in this case off the end of the string. clever work on the buoys Denis.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

your fitting out looks great Denis,

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

thanks for the kind comments gentlemen........and for the likes as well  :)    being a newbie when I made them.......I found that this medium had so much to offer.   made me feel like a fool for thinking how daunting it might be.   I have and enjoy the freedom .........much more than when I dabbled in plastic.....and I don't cut myself as much either!   my only hope is that someone sees it and uses it........I felt this was too good an idea,  to be lost in the vortex of zeros and ones.   I'm glad you enjoyed it.........now........I gotta get back to the trawler  {wish me luck}  ;)

merry Christmas to every one..........!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

thank you very much!   I appreciate the compliment  ;)    I sometimes let my imagination run away with me......it's OK though,  sometimes cool thing happen  ;)      .......and a wonderfully merry Christmas to you and yours as well!  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Have a very happy and safe festive season Denis; and the very best of modelling new years.

cheers

Pat

Hi Denis

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! I'm just catching up after a couple of week's inaction due to our house being painted-I have to say, though, that your ingenuity in re-purposing materials into fittings for your boat is highly commendable. They look the bees knees!

Nicely done.

Cheers

Patrick 

hi there Pat and Patrick........and to those who are following along.........a huge happy Holiday wish to all of you!   here at the Wharf,  it was wonderful,  even when shop laundry blew a cold water hose, and got a little wet in the laundry room!  I was at work at the time {had to work the day before and the day after Christmas}.....all I could do was instruct the admiral to shut off the main water feed,  and I'd deal with it when I got home.   we got through Christmas day without a hitch.  usually I set up a vacation,  so that it covers both Christmas and New Years.......this year,  since we changed over to a different time off system,  I couldn't do it.   I'll be ready for it next year  ;)    so it wouldn't be a total loss......I got New Years day and the day after off.   not that I tie one on in celebration,  but I do watch the ball drop.   taint the same since Dick Clark Died  :(

good that I poked in here........I would have missed your kind gestures.    it just so happens though,  that I've made a small bit of progress......I'll keep at it to do more.......and I should be able to report in tomorrow  ;)   thanks to all!  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

thanks Lawrence........the buoys was something I did long ago.   when the big crash happened,  the info was lost.   I thought it would be useful to some one if I put it back up.......here is just a good a place as any.  ;)    I hope you had a great Christmas my friend.........I continue to watch over the fine work,  your doing on your bounty.   very inspirational  :)    thanks for looking in.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock: