Trawler Syborn by popeye the sailor - 1:33 - Finished

I played with these pesky gaffs long enough........time to get off the seat!   the big problem.......I glue the brass blade sliver to the toothpick........then when I'd go and trim it,  it would rip it off.   time to get smart.......lets do some prep to the sliver of brass.   I want to put a barb at the rear of the blade......try ti cut it with the clippers,  and it would pop off.   all I got was these two at the early stages of the process.

post-612-0-79840200-1482960900.jpg

so......lets make the barb cut before cementing the sliver on the toothpick...............BRILLIANT!!!!   I had already done a few without cutting the barb.........no matter......I'm gonna use them!  ....not like it will be too noticeable anyway.  after making the rest of what I needed.....and trimming the point.  it was time to paint everything.

post-612-0-17976600-1482961096.jpg

paint the blades.......and the red ring for a little bling,  and I was almost ready to go.

post-612-0-96341900-1482961179.jpg

yea.......not the best picture........here's a better one.....

post-612-0-96068800-1482961237.jpg

I started to add the few additional parts to the winch.

post-612-0-98415700-1482961277.jpg

cementing the gaffs on the racks.......they were cemented in place......in the fish box first.

post-612-0-87716500-1482961344.jpg

this one is for the companionway......

post-612-0-85903500-1482961379.jpg

I'll need to make the netting soon.........

post-612-0-33594800-1482961404.jpg

this is the diagram I got with the Cux 87.........I have green and I have brown netting.  I think I will go with the brown.  I also need to make the net bar........I have more than enough chain   :)      the companionway gaff rack is in place now.

post-612-0-03998400-1482961556.jpg

the fish box was put back on deck.

post-612-0-14265400-1482961651.jpg

I've started to work on the mast again........a few more parts are needed.   once the winch is in place,  then the mast can be cemented in permanently.   I will have to alter my shroud and ratline set up due to the dump ramps,  but it won't be too bad. 

Edited by popeye the sailor

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

That's looking really good Denis; all that extra detail really brings her to life.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Looking good with all the details you are adding, have been waiting for someone with a little experience on small working boats to point out what a hazard those line hooks on the outside of the fish box are to the seamen working the decks. The idea of providing a place for rope and lines to hang off  the deck is a good one, just move them up to a bar placed corner to corner on top of the corner posts of your fish box, holes with belaying pins, hooks or rings would get the ropes up and not be a hazard to the crew working the decks. Sorry for sounding like all I do is find fault, but what you are and have been doing on this model is good enough to deserve some fine tuning and My intent is to be constructive in this observation.

Aboard the Cape Race, 'Troller', SE Alaska 1965. we brought her up from Belingham and returned there in the fall.

post-5330-0-77814500-1482978499_thumb.jpg

thanks for all the kind comments and the likes.  the holiday has slowed me down........hope I would have made more progress on her.

thanks Pat......I like doing the extra stuff...adds more interest  ;)

thanks Jud.......I can respect pointers from someone whose been there.   if I had those parts and the idea of it,  I might have done that.....I make do with what I got.  not wanting to damage anything......I'm going to leave them as they are.   I was hoping to get this model finished as well,  so I could move on to another project......from the looks of it though,  I seem to be spinn'in my wheels on it.   I do enjoy building these types of vessels......I'd like to learn as much as I can about them.   anything you can tell me is valuable....it will make my next one,  all the better  :)

thanks you as well Patrick........I hope your having the best of holidays  :)

thanks John.......I have something of the same problem.......darn computer is about as old as I am  {not really,  but if you heard the noise it makes,  you'd swear that something was running amok in there!}  haven't seen it.........but if it sticks it's head out........I got a hammer.....and I know how to use it!  thanks for the good word my friend!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Very nice on the gaffs.  The details are bringing this ship alive, Denis.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Fantastic progress Denis and a very prosperous, healthy 2017 to you and the family.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

thanks Mark and Piet.........hope you gents and your families had a great holiday season  :)   been at the table speratically today....hoping to turn some attention to the Syborn ;)

thanks for the good word and the likes everyone!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

the holidays are over...........steadily trying to pick up where we left off here.   there are two more parts I want to add to the boom/net winch....these got a coat of paint.  while they were drying,  I figured I'd do a little toggling between two larger steps,   faring the frame of the Thermopylae,  and starting on the nets for this build.   the templates were drawn out for them......I thought I'd try to do it,  so I'd only have to sew one side of the net.   I did both sides when I did the nets for the Cux....can't tell ya how many times I picked myself with the needle.    I thought this would do the trick.........

post-612-0-17944400-1483490973.jpg

....till I came back to the table a bit later and realized that it wouldn't work.   not feeling like redoing it, I just cut them out.   I have two different colors of netting.......I bought this a while back {can't remember which ship I got it for}.  I got it from the local Hobby Lobby.

post-612-0-60848000-1483491106.jpg

this is pretty close to the netting you get in most Billing's kits........the weave is small enough.

post-612-0-87039500-1483491186.jpg

290 mm across x 290 mm deep....I chose the brown.   laying a big piece of thick cardboard on the table,  the template was laid out and the netting was paid over it.   I used a couple short lengths of 2 x 4 to weight it down.   the triangular cutouts were brought to my desk.

post-612-0-87192100-1483491480.jpg

the first one I did freehand.......with nothing to hold it in place or anchor.......what a pain!   brought back some fond memories,  I can tell ya that!

post-612-0-01796800-1483491642.jpg

using those clamps you see.........I devised an anchor system.    it made life a little easier  ;)

post-612-0-91030700-1483491733.jpg

now........I thought I had folded it out to make two sets of net halves.   seems I underestimated how thin this material really is.   I ended up with four nets........and I made them all.   I was rather bug eyed by the time I was done.

post-612-0-66105100-1483491877.jpg

I still need to trim off the excess thread and turn them inside out.   there is still a little more prep work.......and then the net rig needs to be made.   I will also add the round buoys from the Cux instructions as well. 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Persistence pays off Denis, those nets will look great on the model..... and a couple of spares to boot :)

cheers

Pat

Sweet nets, Denis.  And spares are good.  :)

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

thanks Pat,  Mark,  and John for you kind comments....and thanks to all who hit the like button.   the netting material supplied in Billing's kits is a tad bit thicker than this stuff.   this is more like a fabric.   I haven't noticed it lately,  but I think they did away with the fabric dept at our local Hobby Lobby.  sad if they did.

more soon  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

a small step forward.....but this is big.   the boom winch is in place!   I added the brake levers and cemented it in place.....no more parts will be added to it.   the levers are actually parts that I did not use for the AmericA build........they are the light boxes.   painted up and affixed to the winch,  they serve the purpose well enough.   you may not readily see them in the picture.......I took it this morning before the camera decided that it needed to be fed {charged up}.

post-612-0-01013900-1483634862.jpg

the holes for the shrouds are already drilled......eye bolts dry fitted at the moment.  I need to adjust the port side though, since I found that the gallow for the port side is a bit forward than the starboard side.  I'm sure there will be more parts added,  before this is said and done  ;)

more to come  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Looking very nice Denis, quite the dressed up lady now :)

cheers

Pat

thanks Pat  :)    the best part is coming.   hoping the mast will be in place by bedtime  ;)

thanks to those who hit the like button  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Hi Denis

Those nets are going to add a further dose of realism to your little beauty.

I'd have been tempted to put RC gear and have the winches being able to trawl the nets, (but I understand RC's not your thing).

I'm looking forward to the next update.

Cheers

Patrick

yepper!  that's me to a tee.........I'm not a gear head {I just like to look like I am}.   I got the nets turned outward the proper way,  and they are pressing in one of my binders........get the wrinkles out.  :)   the mast is in place......I wanted to do some of the rigging,  but it was too late in the evening.   hopefully I can have an update later today.   thanks for the good word and look'in in  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

as seen earlier,  the boom winch was finally cemented in place.   during the last couple of days,  I did a little here,  and something stupid over there.......it would have been pointless to follow what I was doing.  when you hear the phrase 'rhyme or reason'.......think of me  ;)   they did!  :D   wait though..........usually there's the word 'no' in front of it.   oh bother!

anyway........I mentioned shrouds.  the fish box changed this thought a little,  but I'm still doing them........just a bit differently. 

for the Half Moon,   I got these dead eye collars {can't think of the name of them},  to make life a bit easy.   I got quite a few.....I'm sure the build won't miss them.

post-612-0-68050400-1483751109.jpg

they were loaded with a dead eye,  assembled,  and cemented in place.......I corrected the port side,  being off on the location of the dead eyes.   I also cemented some single blocks to the deck.

post-612-0-12360500-1483751269.jpg

finally.......after all this time,  the mast was cemented in place.   no more pull'in it out for some ungodly reason  ;)

post-612-0-16787500-1483751354.jpg

I had added a couple of cleats,  and a few more blocks to it.  then the rigging began { I hope you can see it.....I tried to take user friendly pictures}.  the center most blocks were rigged,  even added a couple of single blocks to the hold, and rigged it to open and close.  {not really,  but you get the picture....nudge,  nudge,  wink,  wink}

post-612-0-03179500-1483751676.jpg

where to terminate them was a puzzle........no belaying pins,  so a fife rail of sorts was out {I wasn't going to use pieces of rod or anything silly}.   I decided to terminate them at the winch drum.

post-612-0-76132000-1483751853.jpg

then I began with the booms......rigging the lifts.  something weird about this one...I'll have to check it out.   I wondered what mechanism would be used to swing the boom in and out.  with the net affixed on the boom,  there will not be enough weight to keep the pulley assembly taught.   I will add a set of lines that will not only do that,  but give the impression that they perform this task.

post-612-0-55516000-1483753847.jpg

post-612-0-26820500-1483753873.jpg

turned around,  the starboard side will be done now.   I've only terminated the aft line on the port side.  the fore line will be done after the shrouds are rigged.   there will be some standing rigging for the bow too.......I haven't done it yet.

this pulley assembly came out right.......this is the way it should look.

post-612-0-02596000-1483754114.jpg

the aft line is terminated at a cleat on the side of the gallow.   the fore line will be terminated at a cleat on the fore gallow.  

this is done on both sides.  

post-612-0-67141400-1483754257.jpg

there are some small lights that be located on those three pedestals above the top.   I still have a little bit of the window maker,  so I could fill in the lenses.   when they dry,  they will be clear.........I may try and get some yellow paint inside to color the window maker.   when I do the Nav lights,  they will either be done the same way,  or I will used the red and green plastic inserts that come with them.

post-612-0-11895100-1483754510.jpg

the cleats for the 'swing lines' are located on the sides of the gallows..........here they are fore and aft.

post-612-0-07351800-1483754584.jpg

post-612-0-60414400-1483754643.jpg

the layout is almost to the point,  where I can cement in the fish box and the conveyors.   this will pretty much finish off the mid ship,  and I can move on to the helm and aft.   I did have one mishap though........I broke a blade off the prop.   I glued it,  but it came off again........so now I've removed the prop and cemented it again.  hopefully I did a better job this time,  and I can put it back on.   once the mid ship is done,  I'm hoping for a quick finish,  and I can move on to another victim.......errrrrrr,  I mean project  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Remarkable attention to detail Denis. Looking like a museum model!

Jesse

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

Beginning to look more real every day.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

thanks for all the kind comments :)  and thanks to those who hit the like button.   after I posted,  I put the fish box on the deck.......shoulda got a picture of it.

once I get done with the work week.... I can continue.....i'm gonna make one of those jigs for the shrouds.   good exercise for the next project I want to get on the table  ;)   still more to do before the netting goes on.

very glad that you like how this is coming along......I'm sure I've made a few blunders with it.   having to make small changes as I go along  :)

thanks again every one!  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I am enjoying the progress Denis.

michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Your promised a nice addition, and probably a surprise or two left, and you haven't disappointed :)  Looking really good mate.

cheers

Pat

Edited by BANYAN

thanks Michael,  Medic and Pat  :)    I think when the nets are on,  they will make an even bigger difference.   added part at this point will fill in the blanks  ;)

good to know my logs aren't boring  :D  :D   thanks Pat....very kind to say  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock: