Trawler Syborn by popeye the sailor - 1:33 - Finished

I was itching to plank the aft deck.........so I went to it  ;)   a lot of trimming went into laying the front part of the deck.  I was lucky that the helm room was just the right size,  that the planking laid square to the edge.........the next plank row laid along side,  without having to fit it.

post-612-0-92459600-1458842739_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-32777100-1458842765_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-12334600-1458842780_thumb.jpg

in order to mimic the main deck planking {two plank butt stagger},  I had drawn lines that would represent where bulkheads would be.......and then drew lines bisecting these areas in half.   I need to make two doors for the helm...but I also gave some thought on the cabin and funnel.   

post-612-0-86818800-1458843166_thumb.jpg

I wanted to do a few things with the cabin/funnel,  but I decided not to go crazy with it.   anything I need to do,  I can do with it in place on the deck.

post-612-0-42827300-1458843333_thumb.jpg

the planking continued around the starboard side,  until I get past the center line.  I then thought about the doors and how they will be fixed to the helm room wall.  better check this out.

post-612-0-16268500-1458843579_thumb.jpg

I began to assemble the doors for the helm room.   the top opening for the door will have to house the window frame.

post-612-0-44076200-1458843753_thumb.jpg

the other doors,  I laid plank backing behind them to fill in the main body of the doors.   the exposed areas on the outside were lacquered.   with the top opening having the window,  I'll have to make sure that these two openings match up.  the door was shimmed with a piece of planking and a threshold,  to see how well I did.

post-612-0-59144300-1458844435_thumb.jpg

Once the door is sanded and painted.....I don't think I'm going to add a backing to them.......I kinda like them the way they are.  by this time I had gone past the center line.......I could see that the planking is off a bit.   the aft deck is not as symmetrical as I thought it was.......I'll move over to the port side and continue there.  I'll just make adjustments along t he way.  I'm not going to pull anything up.......the domino effect has gone on for too long....backtracking would be a pain.

post-612-0-77685300-1458845050_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-09965600-1458845061_thumb.jpg

so,  from the port side,  I finished the planking........it's a little off,  but it doesn't look too bad.   I'll sand it a little and give it a coat or two of semi gloss lacquer.........should make it look even better.   I also noticed that I missed a couple of butt staggers.   I'll try and add them in......the planking is still fresh  ;)

post-612-0-68370700-1458845281_thumb.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

I was lucky that the helm room was just the right size,  that the planking laid square to the edge.........the next plank row laid along side,  without having to fit it.

Of course you carefully planned it that way from the beginning! ;)

Nice job, Popeye!

John

Nice deck and cabin, Denis.   

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Looking good Denis,  Do not worry about it being perfect.  You are building a working boat that would have seen very hard use and probably several repairs over her career.

David B

Looks like another winner!!........ decking looks good as does the rest of the build.... Nice build Denis

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

thanks all for the kind words.......and to all who hit the like button   :)    I have since sanded it and put on a couple of coats of semi gloss lacquer.....passes muster in my book   ;)   I have been looking......I had some clear cello that CA would not cloud......that would be perfect for this build.  so far I haven't found it,  but I'll keep looking.   for now though,  I have another update for you kind folks to see :)

thanks Nenad and Bob......just to let you know I didn't miss seeing your posts.........thanks for the good word!

of course John.........but some come as a surprise......and some come from the wedgie I get from flying by the seat of my pants!   :D   :D :D

Edited by popeye the sailor

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

as mentioned,  the aft deck was given a couple coats of semi gloss lacquer.   I added a butt stagger at the lower left {in the picture}.....and it evened out the pattern a bit more.   it's still wet in these pictures.

post-612-0-02287300-1458912605_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-23476300-1458912622_thumb.jpg

continuing with the aft deck,   I ordered two packages of 15 mm,  one hole stanchions.   I should have ordered more of the three hole,  but I have a different treatment in mind for this section of railing.

post-612-0-21714000-1458912937_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-75073900-1458912958_thumb.jpg

........then the port side.......

post-612-0-10365400-1458912992_thumb.jpg

.......then the starboard side.....

post-612-0-72884600-1458913023_thumb.jpg

....until the entire section was complete.

post-612-0-13331900-1458913069_thumb.jpg

by now,  the aft deck has dried enough.......most of the sheen is gone.   I could have used a flat lacquer here,  but it comes out looking too 'dead-pan'........   it's a good look,  but I had used the semi gloss on the other decks,  so I didn't want to change anything.   lucky I can remember every thing I used,  as far as paint goes  ;)

post-612-0-03551700-1458913276_thumb.jpg

next will be to trim the railing ends,  and finish doing what I'm doing here.  I have more parts that can be added to the ship.   :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Looking forward to the Bridge Cabin equipment and furniture if previous builds are anything to go by :)

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

thanks Pat........and all who hit the like button.   yepper.......there is some interior decorating in the future.   it won't be as detailed as the M&M boat,  but I'll do what I can.  I still have the roof to do too  ;)   thanks for the good word........I will try not to disappoint  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

thanks John  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

thanks john for the kind words.......just got through with my work week,  so I should be able to get something done.   I wouldn't know where to start in setting up an R/C  :D     perhaps one day  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

WOW Denis, what can I add to all the great comments.  Just to say, what a marvelous piece of work.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

thanks Piet...I've been lucky {if you can call it that}  these last couple of weeks.   I haven't had to work at my part time job.  it's given me more time to devote to my builds.   this week is going to be a busy one.......the night guy is out sick,  and I'm going to be covering a couple nights.   I took the weekend off at wally for the admiral's birthday though,  so that should even it out.  thanks for the kind word   :)

I did do a little bit over the week end.......rare for me to do modeling during the Wally work week.   usually,  I'm too tired,  but this was a small bit of progress,  and I was curious to see how it would look.   while I was working on the two doors for the helm room,  I painted most the window frames.   I would need two for the doors.

post-612-0-26985200-1459265047_thumb.jpg

the thresholds were added to the doors......sanded a bit more,  and then painted.   I was trying to find the cello that would not cloud up,  using CA.......but I must have used it up.   I gave up the search and used the window maker to cement the cello in place on the doors.   seeing that the lip of the frames were as thick,  as the wood that I used,  they were cemented in afterwards.   the rest of the frames,  I'm going to have to cement the cello on and trim them.

post-612-0-84098800-1459265553_thumb.jpg

I didn't fill in the bottom opening.......liking the looks of them in the last dry fit,  I'll see if this will cause a problem now that I added the thickness of the cello.   

post-612-0-43807100-1459266311_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-43070900-1459266327_thumb.jpg

the one thing I do need to be careful about though,  is the alignment of the window openings.

post-612-0-50079900-1459266453_thumb.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Just spent some time here cruising through the whole log. Great work, and even more so that you are showing that a person doesn't need a shop full of fancy tools to do beautiful work. Mastery is in the hands, not the toolbox ;)

Best Regards,

Bill

Passion is Patience...and I am a carpenter in any scale.

Current build;  Endurance - 1:70 scale, Occre

Current build;    H.M.S. Surprise - 1796, 1:48 A L

Just spent some time here cruising through the whole log. Great work, and even more so that you are showing that a person doesn't need a shop full of fancy tools to do beautiful work. Mastery is in the hands, not the toolbox ;)

Best Regards,

Bill

I totally agree with every word Bill said. You have made great progress since my last visit :) :) :)

Edited by Cobr@

welcome to the log Bill  :)   sometimes,  I do wish I had some of the cool tools.......but I think how well I've gotten on without them,  and a lot can be accomplished with a box cutter and  miter box / saw.  one of these days........maybe  ;)   thanks for the good word!...pop in anytime...;)

thanks Bob........I enjoy fitting the layout...all the fiddly bits and stuff.  thanks for the good word!  :)

yes Kees.......I've made the gallows out of wood....still need to flesh out the mast and booms a bit more.  I have a double spool winch which is the last bit from all the extra Nordkap parts I had.  the port holes and window frames came from that kit as well.   I also want to put a single gallow on the port side,  so I'm looking into scratch building some smaller winches.   still more to go.......still more parts that I've already made to go on still.   hopefully,  I can add some of the detail that you do  ;)   very nice work you do  :)

had to work Tuesday night,  and wasn't feeling well during the day.......so not a lot got accomplished.   perhaps today will be better  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

welcome to the log Bill   :)   sometimes,  I do wish I had some of the cool tools.......but I think how well I've gotten on without them,  and a lot can be accomplished with a box cutter and  miter box / saw.  one of these days........maybe   ;)   thanks for the good word!...pop in anytime... ;)

thanks Bob........I enjoy fitting the layout...all the fiddly bits and stuff.  thanks for the good word!   :)

yes Kees.......I've made the gallows out of wood....still need to flesh out the mast and booms a bit more.  I have a double spool winch which is the last bit from all the extra Nordkap parts I had.  the port holes and window frames came from that kit as well.   I also want to put a single gallow on the port side,  so I'm looking into scratch building some smaller winches.   still more to go.......still more parts that I've already made to go on still.   hopefully,  I can add some of the detail that you do   ;)   very nice work you do   :)

had to work Tuesday night,  and wasn't feeling well during the day.......so not a lot got accomplished.   perhaps today will be better   ;)

Looking real good Popeye, she's going to be sweet when done....:)

Current build:

A Battleship

Past builds:

The Unicorn - The Lindworm - Malahini -  Shinobi Maru  -  The MaryJane - The Weeligstraal

thanks Keith!  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Hopefully it's just tiredness or a minor bug mate, hope your feeling better already.

I've just found this build and now I'm having to go through all your logs to find out just what's going on, I've lost count.

Mind if I tag along mate, you still have quite a journey on this one and she's looking real good mate.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

thanks Mobbsie.........yes,  I'm feeling better ;)     appreciate the concern.   your not missing too much......I've been bouncing around on two projects at the moment.   even if I had a room with nine tables.........I could still only work on one at a time  ;)

I'd be saddened if you didn't follow along  ;)

to get something going yesterday,  I started off by painting the other window frames.  the ladder and the anchor winch also got a coat of paint

post-612-0-95332600-1459430661_thumb.jpg

a few days ago,  I painted a strip of sail material with white primer.   this cloth had a good canvas look to it.

post-612-0-14693800-1459431383_thumb.jpg

after trimming it and cutting it down to a usable width,  it was sewn to the upper aft deck railing

post-612-0-94760700-1459431467_thumb.jpg

along the bottom edge,  it was then sewn to each of the stanchions.   from here it was brought out to the porch,  where it got another couple coats of white primer

post-612-0-71477200-1459431578_thumb.jpg

some of the stanchions were still movable........I was worried that they may have shifted on me.......but it wasn't the case. 

it was then dry fitted back onto the model.

post-612-0-88374000-1459431717_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-35937400-1459431735_thumb.jpg

the doors were cemented in place at this time.    the ship's wheel was also cemented in place.   I won't be going too crazy in here,  but I have a few bits to add to it.

post-612-0-98500800-1459431914_thumb.jpg

the binnacle was painted......I added some height to it as well

post-612-0-69393700-1459432015_thumb.jpg

I settled on the window maker to cement the frames to the clear cello.   I'm hoping that the adhesion is strong enough

post-612-0-23237800-1459432098_thumb.jpg

cutting and trimming them isn't too bad.........that is,  until I got to the point of fitting them in the helm room.   it's a tight fit, so I'll have to trim them some more to get them to fit better.   I did get the first of six in place so far..........

post-612-0-68867000-1459432318_thumb.jpg

still much more to go Mobbsie..........got some scratch building in mind  ;)  should get more interesting from here.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

That's impressive stuff Denis, what you do just to get you started would take me and a few other builders a good couple of days to achieve.

Now a quick question, when sewing the stanchions into the cloth how did you stop them from moving out of position, a drop of glue or did you mark their position on the cloth. ?  A lot of guys would have sown the cloth to the stanchions while they were in position.

It looks as though you used Acetate for the windows, I thought you just liked the window maker, either way they do look good mate.

I'm intrigued to know what else you have in mind for her.

Take Care

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

If you want something to glue clear acetate to wood without it misting up try this http://www.ebay.com/itm/Deluxe-Materials-AD55-Glue-N-Glaze-Glue-/231851041327?hash=item35fb66222f:g:p7kAAOSwjVVVkwHO

I use it on all sorts you can even use it to make a window in a small space check out the video

I'll have to check that out........does it dry clear?   the window maker is made to cement canopy's  and windows in tight places.   I use it for portholes.  the window maker I have is very old........ I tried to use it up,  so I could get a new bottle.   I still have a little bit left.

I had an emergency call.......got to go to the airport.   the fellow who is covering tonight is ill and wants to go home.   so I will go relieve him  :)

I'll be back!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Hi Dennis, great update; glad to hear you are feeling so much better.

That material really does look the part (canvas) for the wind/splash breaker on the stanchions- really taking shape now mate!

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)