SS Bohuslän 1914 by Mirabell61 - FINISHED - Billing Boats - scale 1:50 - Swedish museum steamer

Many thanks Carlos,

I was familiar with These sites already........

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Hello Nills lovely model you have built 

Can stand without see it 

And what you say about this fotos 

Regards 

Carlos

Carlos,

after looking at that picture of the "Bohuslän" I was thinking of adding "eyebrows" over the windows and some of these wooden bumper-lugs hanging outside, when I open the glass case for ammendments next time....

Nils

Edited by Mirabell61

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

a prime example of what I've been experimenting with.......with a little modification to the bulwarks,  this hull could be made into either ship!

very nice  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thanks Popeye,

BTW, why the yellow funnel ?

the original funnel is black, which I`m not very fond of, so I Chose Yellow, being next to blue, one of the national swedish Colors, also the bowpost Flyer is not the swedish flag but the town ensign of Gotenburg.

The wheelhouse  of my model (Bridge) is representing the 1914 version

Cheers

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

• 1 month later...

Hi Turksailor,

thanks for your nice comment....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

• 3 years later...
On 4/5/2014 at 12:34 PM, Mirabell61 said:

and

05/09/2019

Hello,

Beautiful model of the Bohuslan! 

Questions: 1. How did you replicate the hull plate riveting? Did you use premade plastic or thin metal plates glued to the hull? Very nice added touch!

2. Why didn’t you paint all brass fittings appropriate & authentic colors? Why did you leave them unpainted brass color?? 

I’m Kim from Calif. I have also built a kit copy of the Bohuslan with several modifications, based on using a copy of the actual authentic plans for the full size ship, very graciously provided thru a contact provided by Billing. There are some mods that I very much wish that I had done from the beginning, as I received the plans during mid-construction, and could not back-track. I built all decks with fine grain scale size strips of mahogany like real wood w/ embedded black thread simulated caulking. The decking took quite a lot of patience and time to build, but came out very well!

I have also built a complete copy of the Billing “Elbe 1” German light ship, (a very rare and hard to find kit now).

It also has simulated “caulked”scale wood planking as described above. It came out quite nicely.

Would like to hear from you!

civ

On 5/9/2019 at 7:20 PM, Compton Vester said:

05/09/2019

Hello,

Beautiful model of the Bohuslan! 

Questions: 1. How did you replicate the hull plate riveting? Did you use premade plastic or thin metal plates glued to the hull? Very nice added touch!

2. Why didn’t you paint all brass fittings appropriate & authentic colors? Why did you leave them unpainted brass color?? 

I’m Kim from Calif. I have also built a kit copy of the Bohuslan with several modifications, based on using a copy of the actual authentic plans for the full size ship, very graciously provided thru a contact provided by Billing. There are some mods that I very much wish that I had done from the beginning, as I received the plans during mid-construction, and could not back-track. I built all decks with fine grain scale size strips of mahogany like real wood w/ embedded black thread simulated caulking. The decking took quite a lot of patience and time to build, but came out very well!

I have also built a complete copy of the Billing “Elbe 1” German light ship, (a very rare and hard to find kit now).

It also has simulated “caulked”scale wood planking as described above. It came out quite nicely.

Would like to hear from you!

civ

Hi Kim,

thanks for your interest in the Bohuslän Build.

In answer to your questions as follows....

1. The replicate hull rivet plating is done with self adhesive aluminium foil cut in stripes,and plates positioned and brought on to the hull. The rivets are ponced with a roll tool which is a handle with an old mantel clock wheel. The methode is described in my model build logs of the other ships

also with riveted plates, (please ref. to the names in my signiture)

2. Some of the brass items  were simply left in brass color in case there would have to be any soldering afterwards, and the painting forgotten later on, but I have no problem with that.

Would like to see some pics of your model, did you do a build log ? When I built the Billing Bohuslän so many years ago, I was a young man and could`nt afford the adiitional fittings kit at that time, so all fittings were self made. The model went on a shelf for many years after that, and it was only a few years ago that I decided to plate the old lady as she is seen in the build log today.

The "Elbe 1 light ship" is also one of my favorites and I can remember looking desperately for the Billing kit on the web. Meantime I have some very good information and also a build plan, so if its ever built it will be a scratch build on my yard...

Best regards,

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

• 4 years later...

Right there Yves,

Thanks for your nice compliment

it is so long ago that the two kits you mentioned were available from Billing Boats. (thear great time) I see offers for these rare old kits now and then on Ebay.

It was also a time where there were no laser-cutten wood parts, and the good old jigsaw was used. I remember that for the Bohuslän I did`nt have the money for the seperate Billings fittings-kit, so all the

appropriate fittings were self made.

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

• The title was changed to SS Bohuslän 1914 by Mirabell61 - FINISHED - Billing Boats - scale 1:50 - Swedish museum steamer