18th century English Longboat by Chuck - FINISHED - c.1760

Its pretty straight forward....I am sure you could find either someone who has done that to this kit or even look at the NMM site.  They have sailplans listed.   But maybe someone who has done this already will share their templates.  I never made any because it was not called for at the time when in development.

see this topic

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13442-sail-design-for-18th-century-longboat/

Chuck

RB, check out my longboat build (in my signature) for an example of adding sails to the kit. The topic Chuck linked to, which I started, will certainly help you think through how to design sails for the craft, as a number of people gave me good advice. I made mine out of paper, which worked very well with minimal fuss.

Hi Chuck

New to NRG ....since Oct 2016 haven't said anything just read & learn ,research,  I'm still a tadpole ...haven't any legs yet.  I appreciate everybody's time on their build logs.  There are to many to name .  I thank you all .  Ya'll ..( there's that Texas accent ) are my life boat you, impress, awe, and inspire me to see throught. I picked the 18th Century Longboat as my first build .....it's been definitely a learning build. I have cabinetmaker experience in a past life before Oil/Gas.  So it's just the matter of honing my skills to even to more micro - level of precision.  

My question is ....in one of the build logs you gave the  link to the longboat  frieze pdf .   I can't find it .....I was wondering if you could pass that link by again.

Thank you      Poppa Ace        P.S.   or anyone that might know the link ........?

Edited by Poppa Ace

Here you go....if you can find an 8 1/2 x 11 sheet of self adhesive label paper I recommend using that.  It makes things a lot easier.  I know you only need one sheet but for future projects it worth the investment.  You can buy self adhesive paper that is micro thin on ebay.....25 sheets per pack.

longboatfreizes.pdf

• 6 months later...

Great job looks awesome, I started same build just over a week ago I will start a build log , I can only hope it comes out half as good as yours 

Derek C

A man without a goal is like a ship without a rudder --Thomas Carlyle

Current Build

18th Century Whaling Vessel "Lagoda"

Finished Builds

Triton Cross Section by Derek C 1/48 

18th century longboat by Slideways - FINISHED - Model Shipways

18th century longboat by sideways from MS plans

• 6 months later...

Hi Chuck,

Thanks for the reply and if I may another question. I'm installing the floors and found some differences between the instructions and the plans. 

image.png.cce2d40c0c6a5637ef5d9772fbc648ae.png

image.png.58b05438875c9408ba61de8e2064c7b0.png

From the plans the bow floor should start at the base of the H frame so there should be a notch for the keelson (keel?) and it should be round and there is a space of 1/16 between the floor and the footwalings. For the stern floor it should start right next to the sternpost. on your build log the bow floor is round but not notched in the front and it looks like it's too high. On other logs some are notched in the front but are not round and all too high. Also all the logs I've seen the stern floor always starts at the frame number 7, not the sternpost. I'm I reading the planes wrong? 

Hugo

Edited by Anguirel

• 2 years later...

Hi Chuck and NRG Community

UK, newbie builder here. Got this boat for Christmas and am loving it. I am being a good boy and am following the instructions to the letter

However, I am just starting to plank and there appears to be little instruction in the book or on this thread as to how to "taper" (not sure that's the correct term) the plank ends? This seems to be the most crucial part of the entire build and I don't want to cock it up. I have seen there is something called a "planking fan" (would be great if it was included with the kit).  However, is there anywhere you could point me to that offers an explanation targeted at a newbie?

7 hours ago, Matt B said:

Hi Chuck and NRG Community

UK, newbie builder here. Got this boat for Christmas and am loving it. I am being a good boy and am following the instructions to the letter

However, I am just starting to plank and there appears to be little instruction in the book or on this thread as to how to "taper" (not sure that's the correct term) the plank ends? This seems to be the most crucial part of the entire build and I don't want to cock it up. I have seen there is something called a "planking fan" (would be great if it was included with the kit).  However, is there anywhere you could point me to that offers an explanation targeted at a newbie?

At the top of the forum is a navigation bar and a tab/button/link for Articles Database. In that Articles Database is sub categories, one of which is for framing and planking. In that framing and planking is the following article written by Chuck and it is a pdf which includes a fan. Hope that helps. This was my first kit I assembled, I enjoyed the challenge of the small size and the well written instructions.

https://thenrg.org/resources/Documents/articles/LiningOffYourHullPlankingTutorialAndFan.pdf

Matt

Completed Builds: Viking Drakkar - Amati - Scale 1:50

18th Century Longboat - Model Shipways - Scale 1:48

In addition to the excellent article that Matt referred to in the above post, you can download the planking fan by going to the Medway Longboat downloads page at this link:

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat