Halifax 1768 by MEDDO - FINISHED - Lauck Street Shipyard - 1/4" scale

She looks good out of the building board.   The wipe on poly looks perfect.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Just a quick update.  I was able to sand down the gun ports and I think everything is good to go there.  I put in the keelson tonight.  I thought it looked a bit funny as the keelson doesn't sit onto of the keel in between the frames.  I double checked the plans, image files, instructions and it seems like it is supposed to be like that.  I was also able to find a picture in my copy of  THE COLONIAL SCHOONER 1763-1775 by Harold Hahn that also appeared like it was intended... O well.  One of the nice things being a beginner is that you don't know what you don't know.  It may or may not be historically correct but it looks good to me.

post-12080-0-53325600-1401506934_thumb.jpg

post-12080-0-80199900-1401507129_thumb.jpg

Hi Michael,

You are quite correct that the keelson should step down between the frames to the top of the keel therefore locking their positions in place.

Was the keelson in the kit made of several pieces? Or just one piece of wood? Should be 2 or 3 pieces for a ship of her size.

You can always remove it and add the notches now, I agree it just looks wrong the way it is now, maybe a few hours work but I'm sure you would be happier.

Ben

Sorry but after looking at that fame pic again it looks like all of your frame pairs are sat about 1/16" too high on the rising wood, above the rabbit by that much. That may also be causing the keelson to be further away from the top of the keel if you catch my drift.

Ben

Hi Michael,

You are quite correct that the keelson should step down between the frames to the top of the keel therefore locking their positions in place.

Was the keelson in the kit made of several pieces? Or just one piece of wood? Should be 2 or 3 pieces for a ship of her size.

You can always remove it and add the notches now, I agree it just looks wrong the way it is now, maybe a few hours work but I'm sure you would be happier.

Ben

After going throughout he image files associated with the build I found the following picture.  This from LSS/Bob Hunt

post-12080-0-14904000-1401662606_thumb.jpg

So I guess the kit is definitely designed to be like this.

This is a picture from The Colonial Schooner by Harold Hahn.  You can also see the "gap" is built into this.  

post-12080-0-09294000-1401662710_thumb.jpg

You can see the space between the frames f-b as well as the large air space between b and a.

Sorry but after looking at that fame pic again it looks like all of your frame pairs are sat about 1/16" too high on the rising wood, above the rabbit by that much. That may also be causing the keelson to be further away from the top of the keel if you catch my drift.

Ben

Yup I see that now.  Seems a bit too "high" as it were.  I am sure it is contributing to the problem.  Not much I can do about that now I guess.  Will definitely be more aware of this when doing the next build.

O yeah, Thanks Ben!   I definitely like the constructive criticism, and new ideas for the next build.

Edited by MEDDO

Starting to get the deck in.  As always with the supplied wood it is very rough when removed.  It seems to be even worse on these smaller pieces.

post-12080-0-72549100-1401740751_thumb.jpg

After a bunch of sanding and fitting starting to get the deck in.

post-12080-0-67556100-1401740752_thumb.jpg

Hi Michael,

That's the first time I seen a design with the keelson like that, interesting.

Thanks for taking my comments the way they were intended.

Nice work of the deck beams so far!

Ben

Baby steps.  A few more of the deck beams in.  This is the complete main deck.

post-12080-0-57914200-1401857005_thumb.jpg

Now I just need to clean up the surface a bit and move onto the Quarterdeck.

Looks Good Michael, Fantastic work

Best Regards,

Pete

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

I have once again been getting killed at work so progress has slowed a bit but I have been able to get in the quarterdeck beams.

post-12080-0-85759000-1402462421_thumb.jpg

Looks Good Michael

Best Regards,

Pete

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

Completed Builds :

Herreshoff Alerion

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

Michael, I keep comming back to look at the photo in posting # 136, The frame work is Beautiful

Best Regards,

Pete

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

Completed Builds :

Herreshoff Alerion

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

Michael, I keep comming back to look at the photo in posting # 136, The frame work is Beautiful

Best Regards,

Pete

Thanks Pete.  Like all of us I am sure, I look at this and see where I made mistakes and could of done better.  So far she's coming together well enough for my second full build.  

b.t.w. I really like your Herreshoff builds, the planking is ver impressive.

Michael, this is a fascinating build and you're doing a wonderful job of her. Do you know if this kit is the same as that being offered at lumberyard.com?

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

Jason - Yes this is the same kit. but they no longer offer it.

Current Builds - 18th Century Longboat, MS Syren

Completed Builds - MS Bluenose, Panart BatteStation Cross section, Endevour J Boat Half Hull, Windego Half Hull, R/C T37 Breezing Along, R/C Victoria 32, SolCat 18

On the shelf - Panart San Felipe, Euromodel Ajax, C.Mamoli America, 

Its a sailor's Life for me! :10_1_10:

Thanks Jason.  This one is from the Lauck Street Shipyard which I do not think is associated with the Lumberyard.  But it is no longer produced (see post #4 of this thread).  The plans in this kit were adapted from the Hahn plans which I think the Lumberyards is also based on.  I don't know if anyone around here has used the timbering set available from them.  It seems that may be similar but I really don't know.  Hey maybe some day I will build the Lumberyards version and give a head to head comparison...  Who knows? Stranger things have happened.

Edited by MEDDO

Finished dry fitting the quarterdeck.  It is a shame that so much of this deck will eventually be planked over.  

post-12080-0-12080500-1402624971_thumb.jpg

There is some of the deck left unplanked but I may have to modify it when I get to that step.

Ultimately it will look like this if I follow the instructions

This picture is from the image files by Bob Hunt

post-12080-0-03541100-1402625813_thumb.jpg

Very nice job on the framing Michael. With regards to your thinking on modifications, are you considering planking one half and leaving the other half bare?

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

Hi Michael, beautiful job on the quarter deck,

. With regards to your thinking on modifications, are you considering planking one half and leaving the other half bare?

I am curious as well

Best Regards,

Pete

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

Completed Builds :

Herreshoff Alerion

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

Very nice job on the framing Michael. With regards to your thinking on modifications, are you considering planking one half and leaving the other half bare?

Thanks Patrick.  I think that would be the best option.  I will have to think about it and decide what to do .  I luckily have a bit more time before I get there.  If I do half-plank then I will probably leave off the cannons on the unplanked side and fully rig the planked side cannons.  (the plans/instructions leave these as unrigged).  This also leaves me with 3 "spares" so when I inevitably botch it I can retry.