Halifax 1768 by MEDDO - FINISHED - Lauck Street Shipyard - 1/4" scale

Hi Michael, beautiful job on the quarter deck,

I am curious as well

Best Regards,

Pete

Thanks Pete!  Next step is the forecastle.

Very nice work on the framing Michael.

Bob

Thanks Bob.  Seeing what is possible with a kit bash from your Essex has me thinking a bit outside the box/instructions.  Maybe it is beyond me, maybe not :)

Wow, the forecastle deck clamps were a real pain to get in.  Probably the hardest part of the build yet. They are bent inside the stem.  At least they were laminated 2 pieces.  I had a real time of it trying to get them symmetrical and bent properly prior to glue up.  

post-12080-0-04762000-1402736402_thumb.jpg

At least I had time while the pieces dried to prep most of the forecastle frames/carling/ledges.

post-12080-0-03667900-1402736403_thumb.jpg

It looks good Michael, clamping in tight spots can be a real pain  

Best Regards,

Pete

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

It looks good Michael, clamping in tight spots can be a real pain  

Best Regards,

Pete

Thanks Pete.  I removed the clamps this am and it seems they worked fairly well.  Now going to get the framing done.

Last update for a few days as the nightshifts at work are coming.  Still need to sand and even the forecastle out.  The little notches and imperfections will be covered in future steps so I am not too worried about those.

post-12080-0-39958100-1402777002_thumb.jpg

The poop deck is pretty simple just clamps and beams.  So will work on that as time permits.

Moving along well there Michael, I can wait to get home after this trip and get some modeling time in.

Did you soak the deck clamps before clamping in position? Did you get some spring back? You can always use some card to make a template of the curve you need, and then cut a scrap wooden block to match the template and use this to clamp your wood to to get the correct curve instead of on the model where it's a lot more difficult to get your clamps in a good position.

Ben

Ben, I did soak the pieces about 30 min before gently bending them and clamping them over the same plastic cups I used before for the planking. I let them dry about an hour and removed them. They did hold shape pretty well and with the lamination I was able to get them in there pretty well. I did use a small piece if curved wood between the clamp and the piece but I don't think you can se it in the pictures. A little fitting and the fore castle is complete.

I am started to get excited for the next step.

Stunning work Michael.

Thanks! It does look nice I think. Still trying to work out how to plank one side and leave other side open. Think it's going to be the port side I plank.

I have run into a few problems here.  The poop deck was supposed to be the "easy" one.  Only a few beams, no carlings or ledges or other openings....  Thats were the problems began.

1  The deck clamps that the beams sit on where too long for the space.  Even if I "curved" them upwards to eventually join higher up the transom they still came out too long.  Ok, fine.  I cut them down after checking plans and rechecking, as well as looking through all the photos on the photo cd.  O well, just sand to fit I guess.

2  The first couple beams went in fine with no problems but the last 3 turned out to be too small.  After checking the plans and parts lists and pictures again I just don't know what happened.  It seems the stern of the ship is too wide or these parts are too short.  I even measured with the original building board and from the plans directly and the ship seems correct.  The only thing I can think of is I somehow widened up the stern.  Sloppy work I guess...  So my first foray into scratch build had me cutting out 3 new deck beams.  Oh no, can a scratch build of Bonhomme Richard be far behind???... Somehow I don't think so.

3  And finally the last frame which is supposed to be up against the stern.  It is made from 2 pieces laminated together then sanded to a trapezoidal shape from the side view.  The problem comes is my transom is slightly curved.  This is a real weird thing.  The plans have the transom both ways.  On all the side views the transom looks completely flat.  But the top views on the plans have the transom curved...  My transom is curved but the one on the photo cd is flat, including the one showing this last beam in place.  So its back to the scratch building board I guess...

Seems the section I thought was going to be no sweat really isn't.  Haha!

Ah the challenges of model ship building! ;)

I look forward to seeing your solution(s) to your current dilemma Michael. :)

Ah the challenges of model ship building! ;)

I look forward to seeing your solution(s) to your current dilemma Michael. :)

Thanks for stopping by Grant.  I have the first 2 fixed up and now working on the number 3.  Unfortunately 3 wasn't quite as easy as 1 and 2.

Fix one

post-12080-0-72646400-1403183652_thumb.jpg

And here is fix 2 with the supplied part for reference (I think the picture makes it seem shorter then it is)

post-12080-0-48629900-1403183651_thumb.jpg

Nicely done Michael

Best Regards,

Pete

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

Completed Builds :

Herreshoff Alerion

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

So I took a pice off the end of the frame blank and then shaped it roughly.

post-12080-0-36785200-1403202478_thumb.jpg

After filing cutouts into it it seems to fit reasonably well.

post-12080-0-07365100-1403202480_thumb.jpg

I need to thin it out a bit as it seems too think compared to the other beams.

post-12080-0-11956200-1403202479_thumb.jpg

Thanks Bob. Wouldn't you know it, when sanding down the thickness I broke it in half. Now I know to cut pieces with the grain of the wood instead of cross it.

Learning something new everyday

Edited by MEDDO

Thanks Bob. Wouldn't you know it, when sanding down the thickness I broke it in half. Now I know to cut pieces with the grain of the wood instead of cross it.

Learning something new everyday

Nice fixes Michael, until ............. oops! :(

A timely reminder about understanding the properties of wood and the importance of grain direction. I'm sure this one will stick with you! :)

You're doing a great job here Michael. Don't let theses minor setbacks get you down. Mistakes are how we learn best. Of course, if it's someone else's mistakes, then all the better! :P:)

Glued pieces back together.  Thinner than before but still a bit thick.  I may redo this.  Will think about this today.

post-12080-0-46954000-1403265997_thumb.jpg

If you're even thinking about re-doing Michael, then I would go ahead and do so. If you don't, it will continue to bug you for the rest of the build. And it will give you the opportunity to try it with the grain oriented correctly. Go on.........you know you want to.............. ;):)

Nice fixes Michael, until ............. oops! :(

A timely reminder about understanding the properties of wood and the importance of grain direction. I'm sure this one will stick with you! :)

You're doing a great job here Michael. Don't let theses minor setbacks get you down. Mistakes are how we learn best. Of course, if it's someone else's mistakes, then all the better! :P:)

Haha Grant, everyday learning something new (or being reminded of things I should have already known).  

If you're even thinking about re-doing Michael, then I would go ahead and do so. If you don't, it will continue to bug you for the rest of the build. And it will give you the opportunity to try it with the grain oriented correctly. Go on.........you know you want to.............. ;):)

I have plenty of attempts left as the left over billets have enough spaces to cut out a few.  Shouldn't be too hard.

So I remade the end after the other one broke and was too thick.  Still needs a bit of shaping but it lines up pretty well for planking (if I decide to plank there)

post-12080-0-80833900-1403320931_thumb.jpg

Well done on the re-do Michael. I'll bet you're much happier with this version. :)

Well done on the re-do Michael. I'll bet you're much happier with this version. :)

Yup, much happier, the other one was way too chunky and thick. This one is much better.

Michael, I echo what Grant said , Nice ;y done

Best Regards,

Pete

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

Completed Builds :

Herreshoff Alerion

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

Another section is complete and now onto the next big section.  The decking and deck furniture.  I think I have decided on planking the port side only.  As I am not completely sure I am going to move onto building up all the fidly bits.  Once I have those made I can then try out a few configurations of deck planking with some heavy card stock.  Options are fully planked, 1/2 planked, middle planked (the way in the instructions), etc.  It looks like there should be no problems with this.  The waterway is seated directly on the beams so as long as I decide before getting to the railings there should be no problem getting it in.