Pilar 1934 by birchbaysider - FINISHED - Constructo - 1:27 - Ernest Hemingway's Fishing Boat

Thanks Bob.  Nice work on your Lobster Smack.

Edited by birchbaysider

Scott     :pirate41:

Present Build

AL's "King of the Mississippi" 

Future Build

AL's "San Francisco II"

AL's "Sanson"

Previous Builds 

Constructo's "Louise" (Victorian Steam Launch)

Constructo's "Pilar" (Ernest Hemingway's Fishing Boat)

Midwest's "Maine Peapod"

Hi Scott,

Not only is your presentation here great, the build itself is remarkable.  I am particularly struck by your metal work and painting.  The brass comes as a rolled up wire, yet you were able to get it straight and so true to the instructions.  I have been struggling with the railing.  I had hoped to do a micro-solder joinery, but it did not stick. My glues and epoxies haven't worked. I just got Aruldite epoxy, which supposedly joins all metals, including brass.

Enjoy the "King"!

"Go placidly amid the noise and haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence." - Desiderata by Max Ehrmann

Jon,

Sorry to hear that soldering didn't work for you.  I know you can get brass solder.

Like I stated in my build log, I don't like working with metal.  It's very difficult to get coiled wire straight.  I tried this method of clamping it together and pressing down, but it didn't work well.

post-354-0-96424400-1398351763_thumb.jpg

The best way I found is to just take my time and straighten with my fingers, but I never get it perfect.

As far as gluing, I started out using CA, but it always leaves a white residue, so I've switched to clear epoxy.  With small round files, I give the ends of the wire a concave shape to get maximum surface area for gluing.

Scott     :pirate41:

Present Build

AL's "King of the Mississippi" 

Future Build

AL's "San Francisco II"

AL's "Sanson"

Previous Builds 

Constructo's "Louise" (Victorian Steam Launch)

Constructo's "Pilar" (Ernest Hemingway's Fishing Boat)

Midwest's "Maine Peapod"

Hey Scott,

You are too modest.  Your metalwork looks near perfect to me!

Thanks for the tip on the epoxy. The Aruldite is supposed to dry as a honey color, which would be fine for the brass railing.

"Go placidly amid the noise and haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence." - Desiderata by Max Ehrmann

• 7 years later...
  • The title was changed to Pilar 1934 by birchbaysider - FINISHED - Constructo - 1:27 - Ernest Hemingway's Fishing Boat