Hi Mates,

Still working, very slowly, on the carriages. This post is in the form of a question. Would any of you kind soles have a "perfect" idea on how I might replicate the axle stops so that the wheels won't fall off?

The small pieces that I am using for the axle supports that attach vertically to the carriage are a bit too wide to be added to the axles as keys. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I do know that most who are kind enough to drop-in do so silently, but any ideas that have worked for you would be a treat. This is my first attempt at gun carriages. 

Michael

post-735-0-35852500-1396897720_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-81367600-1396897727_thumb.jpg

Edited by md1400cs

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

Not sure if scalable or accurate, but have you tried drilling a hole and using a brass or copper wire as a stop? Just an idea that I have seen used in other situations elsewhere

Carl

Completed builds: AL Bluenose II 1:75  Gallery
                              Amati Hannah SIB 1:300  Gallery

Current Build: Bluenose II - SIB - unknown scale

Michael,

I am not 100% sure but the axle trees where probably not cylindrical except the portion that extends beyond the brackets, but rather would have been square or rectangular, not unlike the French and British carriage axle trees.  There are some great photos of the Wasa, including cannon and carriages showing simple pins to keep the trucks from coming off the axle trees.  www. vasamuseet.se/en

Go to the  search box and type in carriage, but have fun surfing the entire site.

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Not sure if scalable or accurate, but have you tried drilling a hole and using a brass or copper wire as a stop? Just an idea that I have seen used in other situations elsewhere

Carl,

I did think of this, and it may have to be the solution, though I assume that the original types of pegs were made of wood? In any case its a very very small detail issue, but since I am spending a bit too much time with the carriages - just pushing the extra correctness, may paint the stops to appear wood-like. Thanks for your input.

Michael

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

At the scale you're working Michael,  I would try micro drilling thro' the axle close by the wheel and perhaps use some blackened wire or the stem off a small eyebolt  flattened slightly at the one end to represent the pins.

B.E.

B.E.

Thanks, I will follow your suggestion as well, good thought thanks

Michale

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Michael,

I am not 100% sure but the axle trees where probably not cylindrical except the portion that extends beyond the brackets, but rather would have been square or rectangular, not unlike the French and British carriage axle trees.  There are some great photos of the Wasa, including cannon and carriages showing simple pins to keep the trucks from coming off the axle trees.  www. vasamuseet.se/en

Go to the  search box and type in carriage, but have fun surfing the entire site.

Allan

Allen,

Thanks so much. I had not visited the museum site in a long time. BIG improvements. The section on just the cannon barrels themselves is super excellent.

Michael

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

It seems that you are modeling a French or other than British gun carriage. If not, perhaps the following might help.

The drawing shows the pin through the axle approach also. Oops, I thought it did. 

post-246-0-78704300-1397053705_thumb.jpg

Jay

Current build Cross Section USS Constitution  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10120-cross-section-forward-area-of-the-uss-constitution/

Finished USS Constitution:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/103-uss-constitution-by-modeler12/

'A picture is worth a  . . . . .'      More is better . . . .

Hi Michael,

I`m presently just working on the same Detail, and intend to do it this way,,,

drill 0,5mm to the axis, carefully widen up with 0,8mm drill and shift in a small wooden Splint.

In your sample it Looks like you are also using washers, These I will leave away.

This is what the assembly Looks like....

Nils

post-3445-0-40703100-1397070544_thumb.jpg

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Nils,

Thanks so much for your response. I am, by the way, very familiar with your astonishing work. Your splint looks perfect.

I will try this, though my skills may preclude this option. Regarding the washer. It appears as though the Vasa did in fact have these. Note the photos, as well as the carriage reproduction from the Vaset Museum.

---------------------

Jay, No I'm working on the Vasa as she was in 1628. Short existence as it was. Note the Vasa orthographic carriage views. I appreciate your input, very nice of you.

Regards,

Michael

post-735-0-78505800-1397086397.jpg

post-735-0-11774500-1397086408_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-07812300-1397086416.jpg

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Sorry about the mix-up, Michael. I should have realized that you are working on the Vasa.

I am sure you have seen lots of pictures and perhaps the original in Stockholm.

My wife and I were there a number of years ago and saw the remains.

What struck me at the time (before ship modeling) was the extra-ordinary care that went into carving (and painting) those details. After all this was a war ship.

Here are a couple pictures from our visit.

post-246-0-27938000-1397171848.jpg   post-246-0-18967700-1397171861_thumb.jpg

Now I am sure you are going to include those in your model, right? B)

Jay

Current build Cross Section USS Constitution  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10120-cross-section-forward-area-of-the-uss-constitution/

Finished USS Constitution:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/103-uss-constitution-by-modeler12/

What struck me at the time (before ship modeling) was the extra-ordinary care that went into carving (and painting) those details. After all this was a war ship.

Here are a couple pictures from our visit.

Now I am sure you are going to include those in your model, right? B)

Jay,

Actually, he has... as well as Matti (Nazgul).  ;)  ;)  ;)  I think there's one more going to that level of detail....  Yes.. they are cool B)  B) B)  B)  B)  B)  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Jay,

(:-)  Thanks for the two pics. Yes I am, as best I can, incorporating the figures. My source kit is Corel, and the figures are not very accurate, but offer a nice touch none-the-less. Here are some pics, including my continued work with the carriages. I have visited the Vasa Museum, wonderfulexperience  walking into the 1600s.

-----------------------

Mark, very nice of you to comment, much appreciated.

Michael

post-735-0-91465100-1397325491_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-51524200-1397325500_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-35411000-1397325510_thumb.jpg

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

One comment: 

Beautiful!!!

Jay