HMS Snake by drtrap - Caldercraft

• 2 weeks later...

Still waiting for the "out of stock" replacement parts...

In the meantime I'm looking for any tutorial or guide to help me with the rigging of the breeching rope and the tackle for the guns.

Have u used any special method?

Thank you

Hi,

I think between the builds from BeefW and myself there is quite a bit on rigging of carronades. Take a look on the builds and ask if there are any gaps....

Jim

Jim
-----
Current builds:

HMS Snake
HMS Hood
Mechanical Solar System

Completed builds:

HMS Ballahoo

• 2 weeks later...

Trying to set a correct device for the rigging of the guns.

This is a second hand "jig" for 24's carronades (I'll use the 32's) just to feel more familiar with the rigging of the breeching rope.

The whole procedure especially for the seizing and using PVA to secure the knots is so time consuming... Thinking of use cyano to proceed faster.

In the other hand an alternative option to avoid the knots: pro-made seizing (using 0,25 line and PVA. Cyano glue makes too dificult to withdraw the setting from the drill...). 

post-944-0-23248300-1392045001_thumb.jpg

post-944-0-40594300-1392045002_thumb.jpg

post-944-0-75043100-1392045003_thumb.jpg

post-944-0-54806000-1392045006_thumb.jpg

Edited by Stergios

Be careful on the overall height of the barrel in relationship to the deck and the gunport my friend, those look might high and look like they will foul the top of the gunport.

Norman

Edited by normanh

Norman

Current build Trumpeter Arizona 1:200 with White Ensign PE and a Nautilus Wooden Deck.

Built Caldercraft Convulsion, HM Brig Badger and HMS Snake.

Awaiting - Zvelda HMS Dreadnought planning to get the Pontos Deck and PE Upgrades, Panart 1:23 Gun deck model and couple of the cannon kits Manatu - French siege mortar, and American coastal cannon.

Be careful on the overall height of the barrel in relationship to the deck and the gunport my friend, those look might high and look like they will foul the top of the gunport.

Norman

Hi Norman

those pics are without the placement of the rear elevation screw and just for practice.. In every case I'll test the relative heights....

Thanks

Edited by Stergios

Norman

These are the relative heights using the 24's and 32's carronades respectively...

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/634-hms-snake-by-stergios/page-9

Edited by Stergios

Next step, trying to improve my other skill: seizing of the breeching rope. Except the tecnique I'm showing in the photo (green testing rope), I'm trying to find any step by step tutorial to seize the rope using multiple (I think) "half-hitch" knots...

Any idea on this?

Thanks.

The naturac color rope is Amati, 1mm in diameter. 

I wonder how could Jason pass it through the eyelet, even with the edge hardened with cyano....

post-944-0-58443000-1392306613_thumb.jpg

Edited by Stergios

Hi Stergios, its definitely not easy to get them through, I seem to remember not using cyano at all, but what I found works best was if you cut the line at an angle so it has a 'pointed' end it is much easier (may be necessary to wet a little).  I would have like to use a slightly large line, but the the inability to get through the eyes was the limiting factor.  Next time, I think I'll try to add rings to the eyebolts which allows for larger line, I did take that approach on the cannons breach ring.

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

Hi Stergios, its definitely not easy to get them through, I seem to remember not using cyano at all, but what I found works best was if you cut the line at an angle so it has a 'pointed' end it is much easier (may be necessary to wet a little).  I would have like to use a slightly large line, but the the inability to get through the eyes was the limiting factor.  Next time, I think I'll try to add rings to the eyebolts which allows for larger line, I did take that approach on the cannons breach ring.

Thanks Jason, I'm thinking to use the same aftermarket 1mm Amati line. It is the testing natural line in my last photo... I suppose that you've placed only a single half-hitch at the eyes, am I right?

Thanks.

I suppose that you've placed only a single half-hitch at the eyes, am I right?

Thanks.

Correct

Cheers,

Jason

In the shipyard:

Finished:

Hi mates. I would like to ask you, what’s the best stage of the construction to upgrade the base of the model in your opinion. I’ve created in advance two holes (3mm in diameter/9mm depth) under the ship to support her with the relative 3mm rods. Do you believe that the mentioned diameter and depth of the wholes/rods will be secure for the stability of the ship in to the future?

Thanks. 

Edited by Stergios

Zip seizings in progress...

I'm turning the line around a drill of 1,5 mm diameter according to the correct theoritical ratio...

I've purcased the line from the local stores.

The ideal would be to use a line of 0,25mm but I prefer much better this type for the mo

post-944-0-02056000-1393190654_thumb.jpg

post-944-0-03018900-1393190656_thumb.jpg

post-944-0-09126100-1393190658_thumb.jpg

Edited by Stergios

Chequing up the relative heights and aft space of the deck to accomodate the most aft pair of carronades.

My plan is to totally thread and accomplish the rigging of the posterior/aft pair of carronades to be able later on to fix the ladders at the right place/distance...

post-944-0-09297400-1393190906_thumb.jpg

post-944-0-20999600-1393190908_thumb.jpg

post-944-0-99888200-1393190909_thumb.jpg

post-944-0-13081800-1393190912_thumb.jpg

Really starts to add some character when the carronades are in place, coming together really nicely.  I see you are leaving the elevation screw brass as well...I like it  :)

Cheers,

Jason

In the shipyard:

Finished:

Really starts to add some character when the carronades are in place, coming together really nicely.  I see you are leaving the elevation screw brass as well...I like it  :)

Sometimes I think to use blackened elevation screws Jason, as a natural sign of corrosion/wear etc....

• 2 weeks later...

Stergios, don't think there is that much to it - assume you are using the same 2mm eyelets.  I found that small round nosed pliers are very helpful to get the initial hook bent which is most logical first step, but once you've done that its even possible to fine tune with your fingers.  Putting a small bend next to the eye itself makes things look a little more authentic.  These can be fiddly to make, and if I had any advice it would be to not be too obsessed with getting them identical, once installed the overall effect hides inconsistencies.  Some photos from my log...

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/509-hms-snake-by-beef-wellington-caldercraft-scale-1-64-first-wooden-ship-build/page-21#entry95439

Edited by Beef Wellington

Cheers,

Jason

In the shipyard:

Finished:

Thank you jason.

I've finished with the breeching rope rigging of all the 16 carronades and the 2 cannons.

It's time to test the 2mm aftermarkt blocks using 0,1 mm natural rope to create the tackling for the whole of the weaponry.

Looks great Stergios, what was your technique for the serving that you got on the breachrope, it look slike you wrapped thread around some sort of tube and and fed the thicker line through afterwards (?).  I have to ask, how did you find the making of the carronades to the cannons, for me, the cannons are a much more fun to put assemble.

Cheers,

Jason

In the shipyard:

Finished:

Thanks Jason.

Have a look here (#276), http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/634-hms-snake-by-stergios/page-19

For 1mm breeching rope the ideal is making the seizing 1,5 mm in diameter.

I used a 1,5 mm wire to wrap around the thread eight times, thin cyano to seal it and a small metal plate to retract the seizing.

The ideal thread for seizing is always 0,25 mm in diameter but how i told you i prefered and used a larger ordinary sewing thread.

Cheers

Edited by Stergios

Looks great Stergios, what was your technique for the serving that you got on the breachrope, it look slike you wrapped thread around some sort of tube and and fed the thicker line through afterwards (?).  I have to ask, how did you find the making of the carronades to the cannons, for me, the cannons are a much more fun to put assemble.

...I agree with you, with the cannons was a greater fun-time  :)

I'm fully disappointed with the quality of the 2 mm aftermarket block.

No lateral grooves to help rope stropping, especialy in such micro-dimensions.....

Thinking again those 3 mm blocks of the standard kit..... :(

Edited by Stergios

Stergios, don't think there is that much to it - assume you are using the same 2mm eyelets.....

Stergios, don't think there is that much to it - assume you are using the same 2mm eyelets.  I found that small round nosed pliers are very helpful to get the initial hook bent which is most logical first step, but once you've done that its even possible to fine tune with your fingers.  Putting a small bend next to the eye itself makes things look a little more authentic.  These can be fiddly to make, and if I had any advice it would be to not be too obsessed with getting them identical, once installed the overall effect hides inconsistencies.  Some photos from my log...

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/509-hms-snake-by-beef-wellington-caldercraft-scale-1-64-first-wooden-ship-build/page-21#entry95439

Jason I'm thinking to use the standard eyelets from the kit, especially to make the tackling with the 3mm blocks....