HMS Snake by drtrap - Caldercraft

One of my friends in the club had some but I cannot see why you could not use 1mm.

Mort

Current Build - Caldercraft Victory

Completed - Artesiana Latina Swift, Harvey, MGS Prince de Neufchatel, Imai USS Susquehanna, Mamoli Constitution, Rattlesnake per Hunt Practium, Caldercraft Snake, Diana, Kammerlander Duke William 

Waiting to be Launched -  Bluejacket Constitution

Proud member of The New Jersey Ship Model Society

• 2 weeks later...

Ooopppsss!

After so many times it's the first one I'm seeing those shrouds cleats on the plan....

I'm not seeing cleats on the shrouds of the lower 1/3 of the masts, but I can realize that is important to be on all the shrouds..??

post-944-0-26786400-1450542405_thumb.jpg

Edited by Stergios

The cleats were not required on all shrouds on the Cruiser they were only needed on the rear most shrouds as in your picture.

Dave

Hi Dave and thank you for replying so promptly!

"Snake" has five "clusters" of shrouds at each side. Three of them for the lower 1/3 parts of the fore, main and mizzen mast and the rest two for the middle 1/3 parts of the fore and main mast. 

So I need 10 cleats for the very posterior shroud of each cluster, or it supposed that for the mizzen mast are'nt required?

Thank you.

Edited by Stergios

Well after all, I've a tendency to put shroud cleats only on the rear shrouds of the fore topmast and main topmast.

I still don't know how accurate is this. :huh:  

The procedure is done.

A little touch up and micro-trimming is pending...

Happy and Healthy New Year to everyone!

post-944-0-56206200-1452091889_thumb.jpg

Edited by Stergios

Next step the catharpins, but really there is no space for catharpins up here.

I think to leave the futtock staves as they are and to proceed to the placement of the fore and main topgallant masts.

If you have no objection, I consider that as my next step.

Cheers.

Stergios 

post-944-0-16018900-1452092414_thumb.jpg

Edited by Stergios

Next step the catharpins, but really there is no space for catharpins up here.

I think to leave the futtock staves as they are and to proceed to the placement of the fore and main topgallant masts.

If you have no oblection, I consider that as my next step.

Cheers.

Stergios 

Thank you Dave, and how did you attach those wire catharpins to the futtock staves?

Stergios, you did exactly as I did with the shroud cleats.  Will all look great with the rest of the rigging in place.  I've not seem catharpins on the topmast shrouds, so think you are OK to move on elsewhere.  Nice progress by the way, looking great.

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

Stergios, you did exactly as I did with the shroud cleats.  Will all look great with the rest of the rigging in place.  I've not seem catharpins on the topmast shrouds, so think you are OK to move on elsewhere.  Nice progress by the way, looking great.

Hi Jason, I'm thinking to place the topgallant masts now. I feel tha it's time for this.

Hey guys, I've two basic questions for you:  :)

1) should I place any sisters or blocks up here?

2) blocks H and line E should be placed above or below the respective topgallant mast shrouds?

post-944-0-69612100-1452351336_thumb.jpg

Thank you in advance.

Edited by Stergios

I looped these in pairs, through the 2 rear-most holes in the cross tree and belayed them around the top-mast shrouds at the dead-eyes.  That's how its shown in the Petersson book.  I also decide to put ratlines on the top-gallant shrouds even though they are not shown on the plans - without them there would be no access to the topgallant mast and yards, which doesn't seem to make sense.

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

I looped these in pairs, through the 2 rear-most holes in the cross tree and belayed them around the top-mast shrouds at the dead-eyes.  That's how its shown in the Petersson book.  I also decide to put ratlines on the top-gallant shrouds even though they are not shown on the plans - without them there would be no access to the topgallant mast and yards, which doesn't seem to make sense.

Thank you Jason, I've seen the drawing on page 11 showing the topgallant shrouds dropped (in a loose way ?) to the deadeyes...

Could you show me any relative photo from your model?

Petersson shows seized doubled ropes

Hi Dave, and thanks.

There are three pairs of topgallant shrouds.

I'm thinking (for the mo) to simply tie them between the mast using half-hitch knots and around the futtock staves as i did for the topmasts.

Peterson drawings and web literature can't helm me to find the most accurate way: looped shrouds, zip seized shrouds etc...