HMS Snake by drtrap - Caldercraft

Hi Stergios, wondering if you are still progressing on Snake?  Looking forward to seeing some more updates.  I'm setting myself the goal of finishing mine within next 3 months or so...

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

On 3/4/2020 at 6:52 PM, Beef Wellington said:

Hi Stergios, wondering if you are still progressing on Snake?  Looking forward to seeing some more updates.  I'm setting myself the goal of finishing mine within next 3 months or so...

Hi Jason, hi guys, all those years I think you know my "turtle" speeds...

Actually after so many months i started again and  I'm working on the bowsprit rigging.

Thank you.

Some pics to follow.....

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have finished all the bowsprit-mast fittings and the bowsprit rigging in general. 

Now I'm ready to permanently fix the whole bowsprit on the ship and deal with the gammoning.

Next stop the yards and the relative rigging, starting with the stays of the foremast to the bowsprit etc.

Thank you

• 3 weeks later...

Hello to everyone.

Just a couple of pics from my recent stages.

I have finished the rigging of the bowstring mast [some details in need of touch up for later]..

Next and final step: the yards. I'll start from the foremast working upwards on each consecutive mast.

I've left for later only the ropes of fore  and fore top-mast stay and preventer stay, just to have a better working-space for the fore mast yard.

If you believe I go wrong, I'll be glad to see your comments.

Cheers

IMG_2249.JPG

IMG_2248.JPG

IMG_2253.JPG

IMG_2254.JPG

Nice to see the update Stergios.  Don't think there is any problem not adding the additional stays in place, just be careful to ensure you put them on before any of the running rigging for the yards goes on that would go over the standing rigging.

Cheers,

Jason

In the shipyard:

Finished:

On 6/5/2020 at 6:15 PM, Beef Wellington said:

Nice to see the update Stergios.  Don't think there is any problem not adding the additional stays in place, just be careful to ensure you put them on before any of the running rigging for the yards goes on that would go over the standing rigging.

Hi again Jason and thank you for the comment.

Finally I'm seeing that I need to prepare one (or maybe two ?) additional lines for the topmast stay and preventer stay despite the fact that the plans show only one single line (no mouse, nothing to help... :) ) ...

According to Petersson one mouse is needed for each stay and probably the "classic" procedure by "serving" the ropes...

* I dont know whether you have any different opinion.

* The point I can't understand till now is the way we attach and tie those lines on the bowsprit mast... Ani idea? 

Thank you

22 hours ago, drtrap said:

Hi again Jason and thank you for the comment.

Finally I'm seeing that I need to prepare one (or maybe two ?) additional lines for the topmast stay and preventer stay despite the fact that the plans show only one single line (no mouse, nothing to help... :) ) ...

According to Petersson one mouse is needed for each stay and probably the "classic" procedure by "serving" the ropes...

* I dont know whether you have any different opinion.

* The point I can't understand till now is the way we attach and tie those lines on the bowsprit mast... Any idea? 

Thank you

Now i’m seeing a starboard (only) hole, probably for the 1mm stay..

Hi Stergios, I'm assuming you are referring to the fore topmast preventer stay, it goes through the front 'hole' in the bowsprit 'bee'.  The plans are really not clear at all on this and seem to have it be attached to other rigging elements.  Photo below of how I did this, if memory serves it is called out in Petersson's "Rigging Period Ship Models" on page 18.  This also shows a fore topmast preventer stay as well, I wonder if this is something that is not necessary on Snake because of the different sizes of the ship (?).

IMG_2484.thumb.JPG.7d170bf26de86461e29a857fc8d48ee6.JPG

Cheers,

Jason

In the shipyard:

Finished:

16 hours ago, Beef Wellington said:

Hi Stergios, I'm assuming you are referring to the fore topmast preventer stay, it goes through the front 'hole' in the bowsprit 'bee'.  The plans are really not clear at all on this and seem to have it be attached to other rigging elements.  Photo below of how I did this, if memory serves it is called out in Petersson's "Rigging Period Ship Models" on page 18.  This also shows a fore topmast preventer stay as well, I wonder if this is something that is not necessary on Snake because of the different sizes of the ship (?).

IMG_2484.thumb.JPG.7d170bf26de86461e29a857fc8d48ee6.JPG

Now it’s quite visible from you photo, Jason.

Many thanks for replying se promptly! :)

• 1 month later...

Hi guys.

I have accomplished the bowsprit mast and the relative fittings. Pictures to follow… Shifting now to the last session, the yards.

Thinking to go with the main (lower) yard of the fore-mast. What’s the best option to start with? Dry-fixing the yard on the mast (using the predrilled yard hole and relative mast pin) as my 1st step? Something else from your experience?

Thank you

IMG_1909.JPG

IMG_2271.JPG

IMG_1910.JPG

IMG_2269.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

Really nice work there! My Snake is on hold at the moment but will start up again after i finished my Speedy. Caldercraft have many very beautiful ships but they really need to revisit them and make severe upgrades (both plans and design) if the want to stay on the market. The kits from Amati and in particular Vanguard models have surpassed them by light years.

Current builds: HMS Victory (Corel 1:98), HMS Snake (Caldercraft 1:64), HMBV Granado (Caldercraft 1:64), HMS Diana (Caldercraft 1:64), HMS Speedy (Vanguard Models 1:64) 

2 hours ago, Vane said:

Really nice work there! My Snake is on hold at the moment but will start up again after i finished my Speedy. Caldercraft have many very beautiful ships but they really need to revisit them and make severe upgrades (both plans and design) if the want to stay on the market. The kits from Amati and in particular Vanguard models have surpassed them by light years.

Echo that, Vane!

Thank you

6 hours ago, Vane said:

The kits from Amati and in particular Vanguard models have surpassed them by light years.

You guys know that Chris Watton designed those Caldercraft kits, right? They were his early work, and as has been remarked elsewhere, he continues to up his game with each new kit release.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

Yes, but i think its very strange that Caldercraft dont do anything to keep up with the new competition.  They use to be the top kit developer, but living on 25year old successes dont last forever.

Current builds: HMS Victory (Corel 1:98), HMS Snake (Caldercraft 1:64), HMBV Granado (Caldercraft 1:64), HMS Diana (Caldercraft 1:64), HMS Speedy (Vanguard Models 1:64) 

18 minutes ago, Keith Page said:

I found building HMS Pickle most enjoyable.Not so HMS Speedy.I was so fed up with fragile mdf parts that I converted it to HMS Sophie.

Sorry to read this. If you had contacted me, I am sure I could have helped with any parts you wanted to replace, including different materials. As you didn't, I couldn't...

logo.jpg
Vanguard Models on Facebook

2 hours ago, Keith Page said:

so fed up with fragile mdf parts

Interesting this is your first post and that’s your comment. Bases on many other Speedy logs and those of us who have the kit your experience is an odd exception. Is it that you don’t like MDF, there are discussions on this forum on that topic.  What particular part was “fragile,” I’m sure we’d all like to understand. 

As noted, Chris would and will help out anyone encountering a problem, all you have to do is ask. 

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

4 hours ago, Vane said:

Yes, but i think its very strange that Caldercraft dont do anything to keep up with the new competition.  They use to be the top kit developer, but living on 25year old successes dont last forever.

I think they dont really feel any need to, even with newer and better kits on the market. Their distributor network, well established name, many builds and good reviews on the internet should be enough to keep selling their kits for a while.

12 hours ago, Vane said:

Even if Amati and Vanguard have surpassed Caldercraft kits, Caldercraft are in my opinion still in the upper range compared to other stuff I have seen out there. I completed the Cruiser and the Ballahoo, I started with Diana a while ago and currently I'm building Jalouse. All kits highly -and only- benefit from those drawings Chris did and the instructions manual. Same goes for Amati's Lady Nelson. Of course Chris' Vanguard series is in a far different league (I just bought Speedy recently, so I know), but when Caldercrafts Portfolio came to life, times and technologies were different from today. The only problem I had with any of the above mentioned kits was the deck planking of Jalouse. This -the wood quality- is a topic Caldercraft should work on.

But to me, it is unfair to simply criticize Caldercraft for not updating their products and indirectly -for that matter- criticize Chris and his earlier work which enabled many people to build representable ship models.

Just my two cents.

Uwe

10 hours ago, glbarlow said:

Interesting this is your first post and that’s your comment. Bases on many other Speedy logs and those of us who have the kit your experience is an odd exception. Is it that you don’t like MDF, there are discussions on this forum on that topic.  What particular part was “fragile,” I’m sure we’d all like to understand. 

As noted, Chris would and will help out anyone encountering a problem, all you have to do is ask. 

The first version of Speedy had 4 fragile parts at the Stern which just a few months later was upgraded to birch and should not be a problem at all now. The rest of the MDF is not fragile but its a different style than building in ply.

9 hours ago, Oboship said:

Even if Amati and Vanguard have surpassed Caldercraft kits, Caldercraft are in my opinion still in the upper range compared to other stuff I have seen out there. I completed the Cruiser and the Ballahoo, I started with Diana a while ago and currently I'm building Jalouse. All kits highly -and only- benefit from those drawings Chris did and the instructions manual. Same goes for Amati's Lady Nelson. Of course Chris' Vanguard series is in a far different league (I just bought Speedy recently, so I know), but when Caldercrafts Portfolio came to life, times and technologies were different from today. The only problem I had with any of the above mentioned kits was the deck planking of Jalouse. This -the wood quality- is a topic Caldercraft should work on.

But to me, it is unfair to simply criticize Caldercraft for not updating their products and indirectly -for that matter- criticize Chris and his earlier work which enabled many people to build representable ship models.

Just my two cents.

Uwe

You seems to read in much more in my post than i wrote. Noone was critizied, its just simply that a kit Chris designed 25 years ago will have very difficult to compete against his new one. I am currently building both Diana and Speedy. Diana is a real beauty... but if i hadnt already bought the Caldercraft kit i would had waited for Vanguards to come with a new frigate simply because it feels very outdated. Caldercraft could easily update Diana to todays standards if they still want to be the top notch manufaturer.  

New plans, instructions, mtrl, and start lazercutting the details....thats it

• 3 months later...

Hi, i have just received my kit of HMS Shark from Caldercraft and plan to follow your build log which is very good and detailed. Do yo have any earlier photos and info from the beginning of your build upto applying the copper tiles ? as this seems to be missing from your log.

Thanks in advance

Rgards

phil5092

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/16/2020 at 5:52 PM, phil5092 said:

Hi, i have just received my kit of HMS Shark from Caldercraft and plan to follow your build log which is very good and detailed. Do yo have any earlier photos and info from the beginning of your build upto applying the copper tiles ? as this seems to be missing from your log.

Thanks in advance

Rgards

phil5092

Hi Phil

Unfortunatelly the full gallery of those pics is lost those-days of the msw data-base black out.

What exactly are looking for?