HMS Snake by drtrap - Caldercraft

• 3 weeks later...

Trying to find my way for the foremast topsail and especially the topsail yard tyes attachments... :((

I think I need a couple of suggestions from a mate of a more advanced level and skill.

The most important:

* looking at the plans I'm seeing at the same exactly place the attachment of both the foremast backstays and foremast yard-tyes... Which one is the right?

Pettersson plan (page 40) cannot help on that.

What;s the advice of more experienced people? Jason, Jim??

Thank you   

IMG_2354.JPG

IMG_2353.JPG

Edited by drtrap

Season's greetings Stergios!  Can't say definitively whether this is definitively right or wrong, but it is at least consistent with the plans and various references I could find.  It gets pretty crowded in there 🙂  Hope this helps.

IMG_2604.thumb.JPG.b63b0bb9b0efae092d152c1d71dca4e7.JPGIMG_2603.thumb.JPG.aa83118b7e744e4009e6bd6d78d5df04.JPG

Edited by Beef Wellington

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

• 2 weeks later...

And Happy New Year to you too Stergios .. 

Very nice Hook Block and great use of the 'needle eye-threader' thing to hold the hook as you worked on it... never thought to do that !

Eamonn

Current Build   :  HM Schooner Ballahoo

In the Pipeline :  HM Cutter Sherbourne, HM Mortar Convulsion, Emma C Berry & C18th English Longboat.. Eventually That Is..🙄

3 hours ago, egkb said:

And Happy New Year to you too Stergios .. 

Very nice Hook Block and great use of the 'needle eye-threader' thing to hold the hook as you worked on it... never thought to do that !

Eamonn

Hi Eamonn, wishing you all the best!

Yes, it was my recent inspiration after a glass of red greek wine... ΄;)

Edited by drtrap

• 5 months later...

After a long period of time I'm attaching a couple of pics of the model.. 

Additional touching up is needed to a later stage on some structures/fittings.

I think that I've finished the running rigging part "A", and I'm about yo start part"B".

What are people's reccomendations on the order to start part B rigging?

Cheers

Stergios

DSC_0003.JPG

DSC_0004.JPG

DSC_0009.JPG

DSC_0014.JPG

Stergios

I had never thought about whether  the horses and stirrups were tarred or untarred lines, and after a bit of research yours are absolutely correct for the time period for your model.   No wonder that  the seamen had blackened soles.   Well done!  

Allan

Edited by allanyed

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Stergios, not sure I can impart much advice given this seems to come down a lot to personal preference.  I can't tell exactly where you are, but I think I put the lifts on the yards first, mainly to get these secured squarely.  The sheets and cluelines came next and then the braces and tacks.  Check my log to see if you can tell from photos there, but in general I seem to recall working top downwards, and then mizzen to foremast.  The primary concern was just leaving the deck open enough to have access to secure lines (the upper yards tend to follow the line of the masts for belaying.  For example, the forsheet clue, sheet and tack lines pretty much limits any access to the deck once in place, so this was done last.  I think I took a different approach to you on the bowsprit as I didn't even install the jib-boom until most, if not all the other rigging was in place...,mainly to try and avoid a disastrous break.  I did find using a little swiveling turntableto be very helpful at times (think its call a 'lazy susan')...but all personal preference I suspect.  Good luck!

Cheers,

Jason

In the shipyard:

Finished:

On 7/10/2021 at 5:46 PM, Beef Wellington said:

Hi Stergios, not sure I can impart much advice given this seems to come down a lot to personal preference.  I can't tell exactly where you are, but I think I put the lifts on the yards first, mainly to get these secured squarely.  The sheets and cluelines came next and then the braces and tacks.  Check my log to see if you can tell from photos there, but in general I seem to recall working top downwards, and then mizzen to foremast.  The primary concern was just leaving the deck open enough to have access to secure lines (the upper yards tend to follow the line of the masts for belaying.  For example, the forsheet clue, sheet and tack lines pretty much limits any access to the deck once in place, so this was done last.  I think I took a different approach to you on the bowsprit as I didn't even install the jib-boom until most, if not all the other rigging was in place...,mainly to try and avoid a disastrous break.  I did find using a little swiveling turntableto be very helpful at times (think its call a 'lazy susan')...but all personal preference I suspect.  Good luck!

Thank you so much Jason.

I'm preparing myself

Edited by drtrap

Try not to overthink it Stergios, I know you'll be just fine.  If you don't permanently secure any if the ropes with glue, you can always detach and refix it.  Until you have the ropes on the model, its very hard to get a sense in 3D for how they all lay out, so don't think you've made a mistake if you need to redo something, think that is just a natural part of the process.

Cheers,

Jason

In the shipyard:

Finished:

On 7/19/2021 at 10:46 PM, Beef Wellington said:

Try not to overthink it Stergios, I know you'll be just fine.  If you don't permanently secure any if the ropes with glue, you can always detach and refix it.  Until you have the ropes on the model, its very hard to get a sense in 3D for how they all lay out, so don't think you've made a mistake if you need to redo something, think that is just a natural part of the process.

Okay Jason I will start it and I hope that if I make significant mistakes you will be somewhere here to alert me!
I have decided to start top downwards. Foremast rigging first...?

Thank you for the comment 

Edited by drtrap

• 2 weeks later...

Still waiting for the 0,25 and 0,50 caldercraft ropes (natural color) for the rigging.

Despite the fact I've additional ropes from third providers and parties their color is a little bit beige, and I'm affraid to proceed.

A couple of yards are not glued very firmly to the respective masts and there is a kind of movement...

I don't know how important is this to the balance of the final rigging  

The rigging is what should be holding up the yards and orienting them so don't worry to much. 

Looking good by the way!

On 7/29/2021 at 9:48 PM, BenD said:

The rigging is what should be holding up the yards and orienting them so don't worry to much. 

Looking good by the way!

Hi Ben, I think I have to fasten the yards the best i can. If leave them, when the time comes to put the ropes, the yards will not have that balanced-squared desired position.

Thank you 

Edited by drtrap

Hi guys

My study on running rigging, yard lifts, sheets and cluelines etc is in progress.

Except Petersson's "Rigging perior ship models" do you have aby other manual or link more "understandable" to suggest as a reference for the rigging of the above named fittings?

Thank you

Stergios

• 9 months later...