HMS Snake by drtrap - Caldercraft

New after market fittings just arrived...

The standard kits barrels compared to those of 24lbs and 32 lbs respectively.

When placed the order I considered the aftermarket 24lbs as the most appropriate in seize but today I dont know what to choose for the weaponry...

I strongly need your estimation on this 'debate" matter.

Thank you in advance.

Stergios

post-944-0-22058900-1374495349_thumb.jpg

post-944-0-68034100-1374495393_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

In the mean time I want to ask you:

1] do you like to have painted or blackened small parts like trunnions, eyelets etc

2] what kind of tool do you use to trim or precise cut metal rods of 1mm to 1,5 mm?

Thanks a lot!

1- I prefer to paint metal parts black after a first coat of metal primer.

2. I use metal pliers to cut the rod the a rough size ( sometime a hack saw if the rod is too big), then I use an English pattern pin vice to clamp it, and use a dremel type tool to sand/grind down each end flat and to a more accurate length.

Cheers,

Pete

Previous build -  HM Schooner Pickle
Current build -    HMS Snake 1:64
Future Build -      Sergal Cutty Sark

Hi Stergios, I'd that I had initially wanted to blacken all the parts.  However I reached the conclusion that it was probably not worth it.  There are so many brass parts that I couldn't get to look the same colour (some I could only get to be brown, I'm guessing each part is a slightly different alloy)) so I turned to painting which I think is easier and still can give a nice look.  Another consideration is that using CA glue to attach everything together that would also be very hard to do to get things looking consistent.  I was glad I tried though.

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

• 2 weeks later...

...trying hardly to find the stool bed of 0,5x3 and the carriage coin of 3x3 mm.... :angry:

I think the above parts are totally missed!

Jason, any help (your the 1st you've purchased those items)? 

Thanks

Stergios, the bed is the larger of the two wedges you have cut out, the smaller is the quoin. There should be a small groove at one end, that sits on top of the metal rod you've already fitted, the other sits on top of the rear axle frame. Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Jason

In the shipyard:

Finished:

I also like the 32lb'ers better, interesting to see them side by side. You've done a great job building those up, looks like you've figured out the process.

Cheers,

Jason

In the shipyard:

Finished:

Stergios, the bed is the larger of the two wedges you have cut out, the smaller is the quoin. There should be a small groove at one end, that sits on top of the metal rod you've already fitted, the other sits on top of the rear axle frame. Hope that helps.

Thanks Jason, I'm still trying to fit those tiny parts. I;m not so sure about the orientation of the quoin.

Should I place it onto the bed or "in line" with it? In a vertical or horizontal placement? 

The instructions are'nt so helpful, as you know....

post-944-0-21428800-1378671757_thumb.jpg

post-944-0-77121100-1378671772_thumb.jpg

post-944-0-85786800-1378671788_thumb.jpg

post-944-0-44677200-1378671829_thumb.jpg

Hopefully these help, view from the top and bottom.  Unfortunately these are assembled so its difficult to get a clear view.  You can see in bottom picture how the bed sits on the cross bar and the axle frame so that the small slot sits on the bar.  The quoin sits on top of the bed, see top picture.  I shaped this a bit so it is a true wedge as it would have been, its important to get the quoin placed and shaped correctly to allow the barrel to align correctly.

One thing to note, the hole in the cannon barrel that wire is inserted in to make the pommelions is not centred, which is historically accurate.  Before gluing the cannon barrel into place, I'd play around with the quoin and the cannon barrel to make sure that you get the alignment you want on the ship.

post-891-0-85053800-1378734731_thumb.jpgpost-891-0-80466300-1378734735_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Jason

In the shipyard:

Finished:

Hopefully these help, view from the top and bottom.  Unfortunately these are assembled so its difficult to get a clear view.  You can see in bottom picture how the bed sits on the cross bar and the axle frame so that the small slot sits on the bar.  The quoin sits on top of the bed, see top picture.  I shaped this a bit so it is a true wedge as it would have been, its important to get the quoin placed and shaped correctly to allow the barrel to align correctly.

One thing to note, the hole in the cannon barrel that wire is inserted in to make the pommelions is not centred, which is historically accurate.  Before gluing the cannon barrel into place, I'd play around with the quoin and the cannon barrel to make sure that you get the alignment you want on the ship.

attachicon.gifIMG_0462.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_0463.JPG

...everything is so clear now.... :)

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

So realy difficult to place all the deck fittings back here...

Especially to find the right spot to drill the front holes for the eyelets of the wheel rigging, because of the holes of the last caronnade.

I think I need to study your previous photos mates!

The fittings are placed temporarily of course...

post-944-0-78892400-1379763857_thumb.jpg

post-944-0-16126100-1379763870_thumb.jpg

post-944-0-81920800-1379763882_thumb.jpg

Edited by Stergios

Nice little arsenal you have there Stergios!  I had much more fun with the cannons than the carronades.  Bottom line, there is very little room on the deck at the stern, the plans are hopelessly out of scale, and you're right it does take some playing to get it all making sense.  One thing that can buy you some room is to reduce the height of the ladders so they remain flush with the aft platform decking - there are some photos in my log which may help http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/509-hms-snake-by-beef-wellington-caldercraft-scale-1-64-first-wooden-ship-build/page-21#entry95246.  Apart from being a bit more intuitive, this also has the benefit of giving you a bit more space.  The tiller ropes do come very close to the ladders.

Cheers,

Jason

In the shipyard:

Finished:

Nice little arsenal you have there Stergios!  I had much more fun with the cannons than the carronades.  Bottom line, there is very little room on the deck at the stern, the plans are hopelessly out of scale, and you're right it does take some playing to get it all making sense.  One thing that can buy you some room is to reduce the height of the ladders so they remain flush with the aft platform decking - there are some photos in my log which may help http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/509-hms-snake-by-beef-wellington-caldercraft-scale-1-64-first-wooden-ship-build/page-21#entry95246.  Apart from being a bit more intuitive, this also has the benefit of giving you a bit more space.  The tiller ropes do come very close to the ladders.

Yes Jason

I tend to reduce the height, I placed the ladders uncut and temporarily....

I can imagine you've opened the holes for the breeching so close to the eyelet's hole for the wheel....

Looking good, big step to attach the wheel!  Forgive me for posting a photo, but thought it might help show where the steering tackle and the carronade rigging ended up on mine....not much space at all and don't think there is much of an alternative!  Looking forward to seeing some more updates.

post-891-0-63111500-1379940904_thumb.jpg

Edited by Beef Wellington

Cheers,

Jason

In the shipyard:

Finished:

Looking good, big step to attach the wheel!  Forgive me for posting a photo, but thought it might help show where the steering tackle and the carronade rigging ended up on mine....not much space at all and don't think there is much of an alternative!  Looking forward to seeing some more updates.

You're always welcoming, Jason.

Thanks for the photo!

The wheel in place, finally.

A question still in debate: the rope for the wheel... Should I use 0,1 or 0,25 line for the rigging?

And something for the front platform: is it a major fault to leave it's gap (for the bowsprit) rectangular than to shape it in a semicircular fashion, like you did ?

post-944-0-88904100-1379945728_thumb.jpg

post-944-0-56412700-1379946021_thumb.jpg

The wheel in place, finally.

A question still in debate: the rope for the wheel... Should I use 0,1 or 0,25 line for the rigging?

And something for the front platform: is it a major fault to leave it's gap (for the bowsprit) rectangular than to shape it in a semicircular fashion, like you did ?

I used the .25mm line.  On your question on the front patform, who am I to judge  :huh:   There really seems to be no guidance, I made the assumption that the deck would fit around the bowsprit, but there are still gaps.  Maybe just see how it looks with the bowsprit in and you can decide if you like it or not?

Cheers,

Jason

In the shipyard:

Finished:

I used the .25mm line.  On your question on the front patform, who am I to judge  :huh:   There really seems to be no guidance, I made the assumption that the deck would fit around the bowsprit, but there are still gaps.  Maybe just see how it looks with the bowsprit in and you can decide if you like it or not?

Thanks again Jason.

I thought that you used the 0,1 line, I think I read yesterday your thosedays post....  

Edited by Stergios