Glue application tool

Trying to find a way to carefully apply a tiny bit of PVA-based carpenter glue. Tried to use a small stick, needle, toothpic, results are not that good. It's hard to control the size of a glue drop, and if you need to apply glue in lots of places - it takes quite some time if you do it drop by drop.

Tried to use a syringe, but even in a special glue syringe the needle is not wide enough to let the PVA flow.

What is the trick? How do you carefully apply a PVA, which is not as liquid as a CA-based glue?

Edited by Mike Y

Hi Mike,

I do the glue on a small disk and from there I take the glue with a narrow blade

cheers    :cheers:

Robert

And when the workaholic grabs me, I sit quietly in a corner and wait until the attack is over

Into dockyard:   HMY Royal Caroline 1749 made from Bone

74 Gun-ship 1781 (engl.) Admiralty Model M 1:50 by M. Stalkartt

Hi

Try a croche hook's for a glue aplicator. They come in very small hook sizes. They work great for either Ca or PVA glues. Also can be used on glues for plastic models.

I use a number 13 for small areas.

Keith

Thanks for advice! But maybe I'm missing something, but how exactly you do use it? It looks like just another toothpic/needle, "some thin object". The problem is that you can't have a lot of glue on it, otherwise the glue drop would be very big and messy.

Robert, my PVA dries quite quickly, so if I put it on a disk or plate - it lasts for a few minutes..

Get needles of different sizes. They go from tiny to very large. Cut or grind the eye in half to get a U shaped tool. You will not find one tool to cover all your needs, I'm afraid. :(

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!

As Brian says, thinning with some water will help with spreading it. I generally put a small amount of PVA into an old egg cup and then add any water I need to thin it to the right consistency for the job at hand. I use a toothpick for applying small amounts, and a paint brush for larger areas. Just be sure to wash the paint brush before the glue dries in it.

I use a syringe of 5ml, with a rather big needle. The glue is not diluted and i've kept the cap of the needle.

After using it or refilling, i put on the cap, an i can keep the glue for days (weeks) in the syringe.

It's proved very useful for controlling the glue.

Chris

Current builds :    

On hold :

IJN Yamato by DeAgostini - 1/250

Completed builds :

Bermuda boat Corsair (scratch)

President by Sergal - 1/60

I put a small amount of PVA glue in an old plastic bottle top, then I use a very small artist's brush to apply the glue - size 1 or smaller.  I keep a jar of water by my side and rinse the brush after each application, so that the glue doesn't harden on the brush.  The brush lets you spread the glue to a nice, even film.  I generally apply the glue to both surfaces to be joined.  When the remaining glue in the bottle top stiffens too much I discard the bottle top and grab another one.  (We go through a lot of water bottles on a regular basis, and I save the tops - so I have a never-ending supply of glue containers).

I've found the 4 oz Babe-Bot Glue Bottle be a great way to store glue and to dispense it in very small amounts (into my bottle cap).

http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/babe-botgluebottle4oz.aspx

Frank

A very small drop of water will help the glue flow without significantly changing it's properties. Experiment a little and you will see what I mean. More diluted forms (eg 50/50 glue/water) is useful when working with rigging components, stiffening lines etc.

Grant is correct ..... diluting the glue doesn't effect the strength very much but it does slow the drying time.  I use the 'u' shaped needle tool described above or a sharpened toothpick.  I sharpen and clean the toothpick on a sanding block if the glue starts to build up and dry.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

I found this plastic syringe at a drugstore in the baby supply area and have used it for years.  I fill it with Titebond II.  I had to cut a little off the tip to get the size I wanted.  The orange cap is a protector from the end of a wire.

Bob

post-513-0-55714300-1397148897_thumb.jpg

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray