Royal Louis 1780 by Ulises Victoria - FINISHED - Mamoli - Scale 1/90 - French 126-gun ship

Thanks a lot, Nick. Really appreciate it. 

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!

Vaya, vaya:

I did not know you had changed so far, for Villa de Santiago or for Arteaga?
For now I have no trip to Monterrey, but when I go there I talk to you.

Saludos, Karl

1 hour ago, Karleop said:

Vaya, vaya:

I did not know you had changed so far, for Villa de Santiago or for Arteaga?
For now I have no trip to Monterrey, but when I go there I talk to you.

Saludos, Karl

El Alamo :)

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Hallo mates.

Well I can say that today, thursday 26 of July 2018 I officially re-started the building of my neglected Royal Louis. No photos yet as there is not much to show , but soon they will come.

What I left in process was placing the gunport covers. About 2/3 of the starboard side were done, so I am finished those pending to do in this side, and will continuie with the port side. It is hard to re-take something that was left incomplete after so many months. Have to use the same thread, paint, materials etc. You loose the inertia.

Once the gunports are done, I can start right off with the rigging... my favorite part of the build. Looking forward to it!!!

Cheers all.

Thank you Pat.

Some of you will cringe when reading this. 😬 The worst nightmare that a ship modeler can have, just happen to me!

Yesterday I was very excited working on my ship, finishing placing all those gunport covers, with their little hinges and the ropes used for lifting/lowering them...

I stand up and turn the other way to grab some tool and hear a loud crash. My heart stopped. I turn around and my ship was not at the table. It was on the floor.🤯

I stood there open mouthed for about half minute, not believing what just happened. I finally was able to take the hull and place it on my table, and silently went to my bedroom. I cried. 😢

My first reaction was to bag the damn thing and start a new project already. What the heck.🤬

Later, when I mustered enough courage, I went back to my workshop and assesed the damage. To be honest, considering the height and the sound of the crash I heard, the damage was actually minimal. A few hull cannons (5) broke. There was a crack in one of the bulwarks and a hand rail was loose. I think the worst part, was the rigging in a couple of deck cannons... worst because they are going to be the hardest to fix.

Yes, I decided I am going to fix it. I think if this had happened with masts and rigging in place, the damage would had been disastrous!

Trying to take a positive thing out of a disaster, considering the height of the table and the hardeness of the floor, this tells me that my ship is actually very well built. 

So... here's my today story. I started fixing already. Will keep you posted.

Cheers.

Hi Ulises. Think we all feel your pain... You've definitely done the right think by taking time out before deciding. And I also think you're doing the right thing by fixing the damage. Quicker than starting from scratch plus more satisfying. 

Youll be laughing about this in years to come...😀

Well that's my two pennies worth! Good luck with the repairs.

Nick

That sounds like a nightmare Ulises! I’m glad the damage isn’t catastrophic and you’ve decided to fix it. Looking forward to seeing pictures...

It stinks going back over old work. But like fnick said it’ll be a good laugh when she’s finished 😁

Vin

I am so sorry to hear about the fall.  I am happy to hear that you are going to keep going.

I lost the Heller La Reale de la France a couple of years ago.  It fell in storage smashing the stern decorations and breaking the masts (which were plastic anyways).  I ended up declaring it a total loss.  It ended up in a dumpster.  Bad day.

Edited by GrandpaPhil

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

😓 Glad to hear it was not a bigger disaster; I hope the heart has stopped racing.  I did not hit the like button for obvious reasons.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Thanks for the continual updates Ulises. Yours is a very inspirational project. Regarding the mishap, when this has happened during one of my projects (more than a few times through the years), and after the shock, then anger, then self-pity, and the emotions have made way for reason, I plan the work ahead to fix the damage, plan the work that I was going to complete before the damage, and then start; it's a healing process. Obviously, working on our projects should bring us joy, so just being able to work on them is part of it. I have no doubt that the ship model will be better than before, and the damage will soon be a distant memory.

Thanks to all for your words of encouragement.

Repairs are done!!!

I'm actually amazed at the amount of damage (minimal) the ship sustained after that crash against the hard floor.

5 hull cannons broke form their supports and that was easily fixed with 2 ton epoxy.

A crack in the upper rear bulwark. This was filled with putty but never really dissapeared even after painting. An unglued handrail and that was it. What really impressed me was that not a single one of the already placed gunport covers came off. 

Unfortunately, patches show, so this ship is not going to win any contest, not that I plan to take it to a contest anyhow after this event. So this ship's destiny is to serve as one more adornment in my living room, where most of the visitors know nothing of shipbuilding and their comments are most likely like: Oh what a nice ship. ....You built it, really? ....Wow you must have a lot of patience... ok now what do you have to drink? :)

So I am already working on the ship where I left. Almost done with starboard side gunport covers. 4 left to do as of this moment. Then 33 on the other side, and I'm done with hull work. RIGGING NEXT!!! :)

Sorry no photos yet. To top it off my camera's battery depleted and for the life of me, can't find the battery charger. Understandable after a house moving! :)

Cheers all. Promise photos as soon as new charger arrives.

Very nice!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

Great to hear UV.  You can always spin the yarn that she shows the effects of battle damage (and you won :)

cheers

Pat

15 hours ago, Ulises Victoria said:

Unfortunately, patches show, so this ship is not going to win any contest, not that I plan to take it to a contest anyhow after this event. So this ship's destiny is to serve as one more adornment in my living room, where most of the visitors know nothing of shipbuilding and their comments are most likely like: Oh what a nice ship. ....You built it, really? ....Wow you must have a lot of patience... ok now what do you have to drink?

I think model builders obese over a lot of details that most people just glance over.

The only one we have to please is ourselves, even other model builders.

If someone is able to pick out all of your flaws in your work, maybe they have been there to long.

"Peace is not something you wish for; It's something you make, Something you do, Something you are, And something you give away" by Robert Fulghum

• 2 weeks later...

Update and an example of how Murphy's law works :)

I posted before that I could not post photos because my camera's battery depleted and with the house moving and stuff I couldn't find the charger. Well, the very day I received my charger replacement, I found my old charger... hahaha this is soooo funny! 🤬

Ok, after the crash described before, I made some repairs, and started working on my ship again.

As of today Aug. 15-18 I finished placing all the gunport covers. I placed them randomly open, closed or semi-closed to break monotony. Not sure how that worked haha.

With this I finish with the hull work and as of today I start with the masting and rigging process. Can't wait to start this area which is the one I enjoy yhe most!!! FINALLY!!!

I am posting some photos of the ship's present state and of my workshop which finally starts looking a bit more organized.

Thank you all for watching and as usual, comments are welcome. :)

IMG_0049.thumb.jpg.59d384bf8b650a55e75bc1d817734326.jpg

IMG_0050.thumb.jpg.0fe0fd1091601403238c57d31ba2f563.jpg

IMG_0058.thumb.jpg.c38a29c380f120ae5ef76ca6fda7b83c.jpg

IMG_0059.thumb.jpg.1d19d8880be924793d30b27f34d6a1e6.jpg

IMG_0060.thumb.jpg.d60c9212185f732ab36f34d69c15792a.jpg

IMG_0061.thumb.jpg.fdbad5c324fee171ae78700dd9bad78a.jpg

IMG_0062.thumb.jpg.6e0220378b289df32d4e01872221d547.jpg

IMG_0051.thumb.jpg.81eee1d9acbad97f5403e27aaaeb886a.jpg

IMG_0052.thumb.jpg.6dc49eb96b095d9e24d2c0bffa293285.jpg

IMG_0053.thumb.jpg.15e0216118b32e5550bd67eb8ba90712.jpg

IMG_0054.thumb.jpg.9cf140655b6a53a84c0488f24c7331a4.jpg

IMG_0055.thumb.jpg.c04c138843c1724878099ac126f54f3c.jpg

IMG_0056.thumb.jpg.1fb7f3431fc8a1d5b5ba486a79f43858.jpg

IMG_0057.thumb.jpg.9c0959d21b17effa9e9872e04767adb8.jpg

Looks good UV; both the model and the workshop.  Must be good to finally be able to work with everything 'to hand' again?

cheers

Pat

• 2 weeks later...

Small update and my ropewalk machine

Hello all. Here is a small update on my RL build. I will show you also the machine I use for making ropes, its pros and cons.

I'll start with the machine:

This is a wide view of  the machine. It was made by a friend of mine who owns a metal-mechanic workshop.

I purchased the Byrnes and the Domanoff's. I spent a fortune on those, and to me, they don't make better rope than this one.

Con: It makes a fixed length of rope, so every time you make a rope you need to start all the threading process again.

Pro: The winding process starts by itself when the twisting of the threads is strong enough. This makes for a very tight rope.

Since you use a single piece of thread for the whole process, the tension in all the threads or strands is the same, which makes a very even rope.

Photos hopefully will clarify this.

IMG_0075.thumb.jpg.b3a322e6734f6f678fefb22042b817c8.jpg

This hook is free to turn. You start the threading here.

IMG_0076.thumb.jpg.c0c599048aa9895fea12c2e19ac1f945.jpg

This is the planetary set of gears and hooks.. You start at the first (above photo) hook, bring the thread to one of these hooks, return to the first hook, back to the second planetary hook and so on. One single thread used.= even tension.

IMG_0077.thumb.jpg.6d8abe9ea4035b581d9c8895bf7cc869.jpg

This is the motor and band assembly. The switch allows for forward or backward turning to make left or right handed rope.

IMG_0078.thumb.jpg.7b78f21dade27b31a16672760a5ec3ab.jpg

Here I am starting a 4 x 3 rope. This means that there are 3 lines of thread of 4 strands each. (Am I making any sense? ) (And sorry fuzzy photos)

IMG_0079.thumb.jpg.513d3048cfd5480baf134ab21473d3f5.jpg

What you see here is four threads in each hook, which makes for the 4 x 3 rope.

IMG_0080.thumb.jpg.586a7b70ca4c021950ed96451ff6f259.jpg

Here the rope starts to be made by itself, due to the tension generated by the twisting of the hooks. Since this process starts by itself when the tension is enough, this makes for a very tight rope.

IMG_0081.thumb.jpg.aac3db16d58c6d309c6e77cd151028a6.jpg

Here is the result. This rope is actually made by 12 strands of thread. And you can put 4, 6, 8, strands per hook, making rope of very different sizes.

IMG_0085.thumb.jpg.debbc8a5c56c0fc5b648ebe4f19624f6.jpg

Edited by Ulises Victoria

Update on the build. Making of the crownests. Photos are self explanatory, I think :)

IMG_0064.thumb.jpg.31674a9bdb483c5671325dccc6150cee.jpg

IMG_0066.thumb.jpg.df678e51c9edf6db480d425a8e54cf8e.jpg

By using a copy from the plans, I placed a small dent on the platfor with an awl, which allowed me to place the thin pieces of wood at the correct distance.

IMG_0067.thumb.jpg.4360a8866e5e0401f63256d93ea07a1e.jpg

IMG_0068.thumb.jpg.a742c89026125850728d433ff0ac1fe5.jpg

Terrible wood here, by the way.

IMG_0069.thumb.jpg.0aa59f844bf3bb7ced46116973889755.jpg

IMG_0070.thumb.jpg.81e49067c043a1aa251b8880b0d03586.jpg

Using magnets to press the sides.

IMG_0071.thumb.jpg.1c87fbaf2e121362f8e2a06f96a5d3e7.jpg

And a rubber band

IMG_0074.thumb.jpg.43902b2a18fadb7b5b5b87afe4dc4c81.jpg

It's been said: you can never have too many clamps :)

IMG_0073.thumb.jpg.029adae3c5236866d92545fdbc2b0cd6.jpg

Edited by Ulises Victoria

Your rope walk makes up some nice rope UV and those tops will look great when complete.

cheers

Pat

Thank you Pat 

• 3 weeks later...

Small update. I just got a Dremel router table and a mototool stand.

I used the stand to cut the square sections of my main mast, using my Dremel as a router. I had to re-do the whole mast because the first attempt at cutting those squares by hand was a total disaster. In fact I had to turn in my lathe a new dowel to make a whole new mast.

IMG_0105.thumb.jpg.b93fe683b0a915868e26bdae4b1c8765.jpgIMG_0106.thumb.jpg.6db57017153cf9d68f9f84e42110bc78.jpgIMG_0107.thumb.jpg.a2d08abb199e5a888f7088c44d72fd93.jpg

Also the mast tops are finished.

IMG_0104.thumb.jpg.268e9e7e82b3a601337c5cb28af532a4.jpg

lovely work, nice to catch up on your projects again, i have been very quiet for the last couple of years doing non wooden ships and found it very hard to keep up with builds that i was previously following

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat