Amerigo Vespucci by laps - Panart - 1:84

Laps

Can you please post a picture of yr build into the following thread please, and invite anyone else to do the same, the opening page gives the reason why i ask

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1589-latest-full-profile-photograph-of-your-build/

all the best

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Laps,

So beautiful. You have captured this project with such skill. So, there are two spectacular Amerigo Vespucci examples in progress on MSW. I will follow your build as well. Thanks for sharing.

Michael D

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

• 2 weeks later...

Nice to your log back - I remember it well from pre-crash MSW! I'll enjoy following this one through now.

Thank you for your kind comments - even though my AV fades a bit compared to Joachim's masterpiece. I more or less stick with the kit content and just try to correct the errors I discover.

Nontheless, another major task has been accomplished - the foremast is complete and glued into place. The bottom shrouds will have to wait being attached until I find some suitable nails. I have some brass nails but the head is rounded and too big.

post-221-0-96299200-1367154853_thumb.jpg

post-221-0-87627800-1367154875_thumb.jpg

The work continues on the mizzen mast - at least there are fewer ratlines on this on ;-)

/Lars Peter

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Current build: Amerigo Vespucci 1:84 (Panart)

Current build: BB Mary Ann 1:33
Finished: BB Jylland 1:100
Finished: Church ship Danmark 1:75 (restoration project)

Laps,

Regarding your nail search. You may want to try this source. I assume that they ship Internationally. I have used these on my build.

http://www.micromark.com/SearchResult.aspx?deptIdFilter=0&searchPhrase=nails

I'm enjoying your AV. Looks really good.

Regards,

Michael D

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

Hi @laps,

your model does absolutely not fade, you really build a great model!

And I am looking with great interest to your steps, now especially your rigging.

Regards, Joachim

My new Book in ENGLISH and GERMAN available:

"The colour blue in historic shipbuilding"

http://www.modellbau-muellerschoen.de/buch-en.htm

Current build   Amerigo Vespucci    http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/836-amerigo-vespucci-by-schiffebastler-mantua-model-scale-184-italien-sail-training-ship-build-1931/

See also our german forum for Sailing Ship Modeling and History:

http://www.segelschiffsmodellbau.com/

• 3 weeks later...

I have a question for you guys.

I'm almost ready to install the mizzen mast but before I do so, I have to think about how to attach the top boom to the mast. As you can see from the instruction photo it is not shown how to secure the boom to the mast. There is not enough room to use the usual pearls on a string method.

post-221-0-33261300-1368552508_thumb.jpg

So what do you think? Should I just drill a couple of holes in the fork and then secure the boom with a piece of string. I have not been able to find information about how this is done on the real ship.

/Lars Peter

Lars,

As the Vespucci's spanker gaff is "standing" - ie it doesn't hoist with the sail - it would be more usual for it to be fitted with a gooseneck rather than jaws as shown, but i can't find a photo of the ship that shows the gaff clearly.  Do you have any photos of that area of the ship?

John

Hi laps,

unfortunately, I don't know exactly, how it is fixed. But it does not exactly look like a gaff, it is a sort of a metal fitting, fixed to the pole in front of the mast. Here I have a picture, how most of the modern metal vessels fix the gaff route.

Also the german Gorch Fock has this sort of fitting.

Do you add sails on your model?

Regards, Joachim

post-1171-0-16118400-1368566075_thumb.jpg

Current build   Amerigo Vespucci    http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/836-amerigo-vespucci-by-schiffebastler-mantua-model-scale-184-italien-sail-training-ship-build-1931/

Hi,

here I have a link from an italien modeller (Giancarlo Gambato), who lived not far away from the Italien Navy Scool, where the Amerigo has her harbour. Years ago he build a model of it, he had the possibility to visit the Amerigo multiple times. And on this model you can see also a sort of fitting. I don't know, if this absolutely correct, but it gives an hint.

http://www.amerigovespucci-theboat.com/de/schiffsmodell_galerie_amerigo_vespucci.html

http://www.shipmodels.com.ua/eng/models/elite/amerigo_vespucci/

Regards, Joachim

Edited by schiffebastler

I got an excellent link from Joachim (thanks again) with a belaying plan for AV. It ahouls prove useful when I get deeper into the rigging phase (running rigging).

Regarding the gaff boom, Joachim also send be an excellent photo of how the gaff boom attaches to the mast.

post-221-0-47449700-1368994205.jpg

Judging from the photo it seems like the kit is more or less correct (see previous photo from instruction booklet). However, the kit instructions does not mention the throat halyard anywhere. Only, the peak halyard is shown. There, should be room for a small improvement here, adding the throat halyard. However, I'm missing information regarding the belaying point for this. I assume it would be belayed somewhere on the fife rail - but which belaying pin. It seems like most of the belaying point are for the sail rigging. I will not add sails on my model - so hopefully there will be some free belaying pins. Do I just choose one somewhere close to the middle?

I will add the throat halyard before I glue the mizzen mast into place . easier that way.

/Lars Peter

Lars,

A standing gaff would usually be supported by a gooseneck and, if it had anything at all, might have a length of chain to support the inner end and take some of the weight off the gooseneck fitting; however in the case of your ship, it seems to have a standing gaff that's fitted like a hoisting gaff with jaws and a throat haliard, so I would think that the throat halliard has been trated like that of a hoisring gaff, in which case it would secure to a pin about the middle of the pin rail on the starboard side.

John

Thnak you John for your advice regarding the gaff. I have discarded the laser cut jaws supplied with the kit. They were way too big so I have carved a new pair that fits better around the mast. I will make a post regarding this later.

In the meantime the mizzen mast has been finished and glued in place. I guess this is a major milestone to have all three masts in place.

post-221-0-12926800-1369567596_thumb.jpg

I have also attached the first pair of stays (the main stays). These were easy to fit to the deck because I haven't attached the fore shrouds yet. It may be a bit more difficult with mizzen stay bacause the main shrouds are already attached.

post-221-0-41341400-1369567743_thumb.jpg

To clear the deck house the stays rest on the crane. I will have to add a drop of glue here because the stays push the crane a bit aft and loosens the hoisting cable.

post-221-0-12917400-1369567843_thumb.jpg

Here is the attachment of the stays to the main mast.

post-221-0-30124900-1369567883_thumb.jpg

The other end of the stays are secured to the deck next to the fore mast. The brass rings were soldered prior to paining to make sure that they could take the strain when tighting the stays.

post-221-0-18401200-1369567967_thumb.jpg

Many more stays and shrouds to attach :-)

/Lars Peter

The mizzen and fore stay have also been attached now. Here is the mizzen stay.

post-221-0-45690700-1370192929_thumb.jpg

The fore stay proved a bit of a challenge. I've made mistake of gluing the eye bolt on the platform in place before I fixed the bowsprit in place. I tried to attach the rings and turnbuckles but there simply wasn't enough room to use the plieres. Also, that would have left the rings unsoldered - not a wise things as quite a bit of tension is put on the stays. Instead, I pryed off the eyebolt. They were fixed quite wellso I destroyed two in the process. After this it was straight forward to attach the fore stay.

post-221-0-60551300-1370193227_thumb.jpg

The fore topmast stay is another challenge because it will go around a pair of sheaves fixed to the bowsprit, through the netting which doesn't leave much room for tying the knots and then down to a pair of eyebolts on the platform.

The last photo shows a thingy attahed to the main stay. Can anyone tell me what this is and what the function may be?

post-221-0-37324200-1370193303_thumb.jpg

/Lars Peter

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Laps, I have been looking through your build log of Amerigo Vespucci with great interest. I have a long way to go before mine model will be finished.  I only recently found Model Ship World, and wished I’d found it about a year ago. Up until this time I have been struggling with the very limited instructions, and the conflicts between them and the full size plans have caused problems.

I purchased the kit in parts rather than all at once; a bit more expensive, but spreads the load a little.  I was disappointed to find that not all the plans are included with the kit sections and had to purchase the plan pack to be sure of getting them all.

Having looked at the work both you and Schiffebastler (Joachim) have presented, and noticing so many imperfection on my build, I have removed everything from the deck, repaired or re-built parts, scraped the deck back, and re-varnished. The hull is now masked ready for touch up to the paintwork, and then I will begin placing all the components back on the deck.

I find it interesting to see the variation of colour and detail on peoples models; having access to so many photographs since it was launched makes it difficult to select a particular period of time to choose.

I’m not sure if I’m brave enough to solder the conning tower as you have done! How much of a pain in the *** was it? How did you manage to maintain the correct angles?

There are so many Ideas you and Joachim have show that I hope you both won’t mind if I adopt some of them. Thank you both for the time you have spent loading all this information on to the web site for fairly new modellers to learn from.

Best wishes

Jimbob (Richard)

A friend is someone who knows the song in your heart and can sing it back to you when you have forgotten the words.

Hi Richard

Thank you for your comments. Unfortunately, I haven't had time for modelling lately - too much gardening and maintanence work outside during summer.

Regarding soldering of the conning tower, it was a real pain. The angles were not a problem. They are given by the laser cut parts and if you start from the bottom up, it should be ok. The problem was holding the peices together while soldering (is used my third hand here) and avoid unsoldering previously soldered joints again. After soldering everything was filed down and any gaps filled with epoxy filler before final sanding and paining.

I mainly did this because it didn't fit the deck house when I used the clear plastic moulding.

/Lars Peter

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi All,

Winter is approaching and it is time to turn my attention back to my AV - it has been neglected for far too long. After a lot of soldering I managed to get all the shrouds tied up.

post-221-0-31978700-1382875308_thumb.jpg

I have also installed to first of many life rafts. A piece of coiled rope will finish the job on the deck.

post-221-0-27529300-1382875369_thumb.jpg

The net job is to do all the back stays - 26 lines in total. This means back to soldering "turn-buckles". I start to hate these things! For each "turn-buckle" two rings need to be soldered to take the tension of the line. When this is done a brass strap is wrapped around one of the rings and then soldered - 78 places to apply solder. So see you again in a couple of weeks.

If I get tired of soldering, I can always do some rat lines :P

/Lars Peter

nice to see you posting again

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Thanks guys, it's great to do some fiddly work again after doing three of these (still have two in the order book):

post-221-0-02812900-1382905055_thumb.jpg

Five "turn-buckles soldered today - only 21 to go.

/Lars Peter

• 3 weeks later...

Just a small update.

I have completed installing the back stays for the main mast and completed the ratlines on the main mast.

Also, 8 life rafts have been added to the hull. Just need to make some robe coils to finish these off.

post-221-0-35165700-1384789557_thumb.jpg

Now I can do it all over again on the fore mast - except the life rafts.

It is time consuming work but I'll keep you updates once these are finished.

/Lars Peter

Very nice, it is going on! Looks really good

Bye, Joachim

• 1 month later...

First of all a happy New Year to all of you.

I managed to get quite a bit done on my AV over the Christmas holidays. The standing rigging is now more or less finished. I still have to do the ratlines on the mizzen mast.

I had to attach to pair of boat davits in order to figure out how much room I had left for the mizzen backstays. They still need to be cleaned and finished off with paint. Also, the two boxes for the lanterns had to removed and changed to fit with the rigging.

I will now slowly begin on the running rigging. Again this will take a lot of time. There are a total of 15 spars that need to made. So far I have only made two. I also have to fit the 4 boats on the deck as it may be too difficult with all the rigging in the way. This means I have to complete the last boat to go here.

I apologize for the poor quality of the photos. Ny own camera is broken beyond repair so I have borrowed one which is also more or less broken. The auto focus and the screen are not very good so it is really difficult to take decent photos and it does not help that it is quite dark outside most of the day, too.

/Lars Peter

post-221-0-74993400-1389017706_thumb.jpg

post-221-0-88551500-1389017713_thumb.jpg

post-221-0-29330000-1389017721_thumb.jpg

post-221-0-33618300-1389017733_thumb.jpg

post-221-0-57058100-1389017739_thumb.jpg

post-221-0-91021400-1389017751_thumb.jpg

post-221-0-89245700-1389017758_thumb.jpg

post-221-0-97409400-1389017768_thumb.jpg

Wish you also a happy new year! Well done Lars, I like it!

Bye, Joachim