Amerigo Vespucci by laps - Panart - 1:84

• 2 weeks later...

A milestone has been reached - I have finished the standing rigging and all the ratlines except the standing rigging under the bowsprit.

I have finished the second motor boat. The photo show all of the four boats in place on the deck. I'm currently in the process of making the lashings for these so they can be fixed in position permantly. They should not interfere with the running rigging.

post-221-0-18983700-1390997077_thumb.jpg

The next picture show the quarter deck where I have installed the first stanchions to hold a safety line (I belive that's what it's for).

post-221-0-29176900-1390997198_thumb.jpg

Finally a couple of overall photos

post-221-0-65722500-1390997232_thumb.jpg

post-221-0-74843600-1390997248_thumb.jpg

/Lars Peter

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Current build: Amerigo Vespucci 1:84 (Panart)

Current build: BB Mary Ann 1:33
Finished: BB Jylland 1:100
Finished: Church ship Danmark 1:75 (restoration project)

i love seeing post of your build, i appreciate a lot still to do, but she looks like a real sailing vessel now,

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Hi Lars,

you have reached a wonderful step, congratulations!

I hope you could understand my last mail concerning the details for the bowsprit...

Regards, Joachim

My new Book in ENGLISH and GERMAN available:

"The colour blue in historic shipbuilding"

http://www.modellbau-muellerschoen.de/buch-en.htm

Current build   Amerigo Vespucci    http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/836-amerigo-vespucci-by-schiffebastler-mantua-model-scale-184-italien-sail-training-ship-build-1931/

See also our german forum for Sailing Ship Modeling and History:

http://www.segelschiffsmodellbau.com/

Thank you for your comments.

Joachim: Your diagrams a most useful. However, I haven't had the time to finish the bowsprit yet. Currently, struggling with another rowing boat (no. 2 out of 4). I currently covering the inside of the boat and the mahogany strips are a pain to work with. I'm really looking forward to the day all the small boats are finished.

/Lars Peter

A few small jobs have been completed. The first 4 boats have now been lashed to the deck.

post-221-0-12296200-1391860606_thumb.jpg

post-221-0-00977900-1391860699_thumb.jpg

I have also installed the safety netting above the deck house and two spare spars (not sure what they are for) have been lashed to the fore mast shrouds.

post-221-0-80658800-1391860613_thumb.jpg

post-221-0-01585300-1391860715_thumb.jpg

Now I can continue with the rigging.

/Lars Peter

I have now completed the standing rigging of the bowsprit.

Joachim has made a nice daigram showing the correct rigging of the bowsprit.Thank you very much for this. It deviates a bit from the kit. I used Joachim's diagram to get everything as correct as possible. However, I have not put in any sheaves so instead of a continious line the line are split and tied to the bowsprit. Also, I didn't pay enough attention to the instruction photos so the outmost part of the bowsprit is not tilted to starboard. This creates a slight problem when I have to attached the flagpole and flag. The part is glued on with CA and I do not want to ruin paint etc. trying to disolve the glue with acetone. I'll see how I deal with this later.

post-221-0-35798200-1391971242_thumb.jpg

post-221-0-18064200-1391971252_thumb.jpg

post-221-0-52229500-1391971256_thumb.jpg

/Lars Peter

Hi Lars,

I am very happy that I could help you a bit. Looks really good, well done !!

Concerning the flagpole, I think also you should not ruin the wonderful part only for this. Maybe it would be enough to put the flagpole on top of the bowsprit, drill a small hole in it for the attachement. Anyway, it has no influence on this beautiful model.

Later on I will send you a new pdf with the running rigg.

Regards, Joachim

Current build   Amerigo Vespucci    http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/836-amerigo-vespucci-by-schiffebastler-mantua-model-scale-184-italien-sail-training-ship-build-1931/

Just thought I would share this video with you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YnZE0c1pAc

Guess, it speaks for itselv. Just unbelievable.

/Lars Peter

Thanks Lars, I have already downloaded this video, really amazing.

But we should keep in mind, he made this model in 1:50, in this scale it is much easier - nevertheless, wonderful.

Bye Joachim

Lars,

That video is astonishing. It reinforces how super complicated this ship is to replicate as a model. These are so many intricate metal parts that needs to be also incorporated, which is mostly not an issue with 17th century and earlier ships. This adds so much to the complexity of your project.

Yours and Joachim's make your builds even more astonishing in that you have both created amazing models with seemingly as much detail as this super beautiful 1/50th example in a much smaller scale. Big thumbs up to your beautiful work. Such artistry. Congratulations. I am enjoying so much following your build.

Regards,

Michael

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

Standing rigging

I have now officially started the work on the running rigging starting with the bowsprit. 

post-221-0-06284300-1392543712_thumb.jpg

This also meant that I have to install a couple of lines not shown in the instruction. But thanks to Joachim's big work on the rigging plans I decided to add what he call line "t" - don't know the proper term. These are needed to keep the two "booms down as the running rigging shown on the photo will pull them upwards.

post-221-0-49826100-1392545631_thumb.jpg

The other end of the line attaches to the bow below the chains. I do not know how these are fixed to the bow so I used by imagination and used an eye bolt with a ring where the two lines are lashed too.

The photo show this attachment. It is a bit blurred but I hope you get the idea.

post-221-0-92992000-1392545134_thumb.jpg

This should complete the bowsprit except for the flag pole and flag.

I will try to keep the running rigging simple and follow the instruction where I can while at the same time looking at the correct rigging and belaying plan made by Joachim.

/Lars Peter

Edited by laps

Very good, I like it!

Concerning the rope "t", the letter means nothing special. I simply had to name the ropes, with short names, and so I gave them single letters. 

So long, Joachim

Hi Joachim

I know :) , didn't know the proper name. The rigging is quite different from some of the older ships like my Jylland model and it is difficult to find information about newer ships.

Looking forward to see how you tackle the rigging once you have all the small bits and pieces ready.

/Lars Peter

Hi Lars, 

you are right, it is much more difficult to find Informations about rigging of those ships. Beside of all the pictures, for me it was helpful to use those books:

- Masting and Rigging the Clipper Ship and Ocean Carrier, Harold A. Underhill

- Schiffsmodellbau , Orazio Curti

Bye, Joachim

Moving aft on the model, I decided to rig the spanker boom and the spanker gaff boom next.

The spanker boom was quite simple to rig and included a support structure made from 0.8 mm bras wire and painted.

post-221-0-69757200-1392734875_thumb.jpg

The next photo shows the completed running rigging of the spanker boom.

post-221-0-15744000-1392734930_thumb.jpg

And a close up photo of one of the blocks.

post-221-0-32041000-1392735018_thumb.jpg

The lines are secured to an eye bolt in the deck. It is simply tied to the bolt with a half hitch and a drop of CA added. To finish of the job, I tried to add a rope coil which is glued to end of the tied line. The supplied rigging line is made from some sort of nylon, I think, and is very difficult to work with. It took quite a while to make it. I taped some masking tape to the table upside down and slowly laid down the line to form the coil. Finally, it was covered with diluted wood glue and left to dry overnight. It was then quite easy to pry it of with a scalpel and move it to the deck. However, I think it is going to be difficult to coil the rope this way in the real world. The end of the line should be in the middle I guess  :wacko:

post-221-0-65755900-1392735269_thumb.jpg

Luckily, I'm not going to make too many of this type of coils but I'm not looking forward to making all the rope coils for the pin rails.

Now on to the rigging of the spanker gaff boom.

/Lars Peter

• 7 months later...

And the building continues...

I have not been very active lately on MSW but winter is approaching so outdoor project are coming to a halt for this season.

I have taking a close look at the running rigging (except bowsprit) I have done so far. I decided I wasn't happy with the reinforcment ring around the spars. I have used styrene strips for this but they are very difficult to glue in place because CA doesn't stick well. So I had to use plastic glue and clamping afterwards. This proved to time consuming so I decided to use card strips instead - what a difference. It takes no time at it is much easier to allign the strips properly. Also, they are a bit thiner than the styrene strips and thus looks less bulky. So this is the way forward.

Unfortunately, I do not have any photos yet. My digital camera is broken. I got an old one from my parents but it broke after a while, too. So I may have to buy a new one. 

There are 15 spars and 2 boom to make. They are more or less identical so I may wait to show you anything until they're all done. Make take a while.

/Lars Peter

Hi Lars, welcome back! I am looking forward to some pictures!

Bye Joachim

• 2 weeks later...

Spars update!

I have know disassembled the yards for the main mast and re-fitted them with cardboard strips as reinforcement rings. The 5 yards for the main mast are complete and I have attached three of them so far. The two bottom yards are in a fixed position (according to the plans) and cannot be moved up and down. I expect that the three upper yards can be moved up and down. I saw that Joachim has added sheaves for this on his masts. The tyes(?) are not shown in the instructions and it will be too difficult for me to add sheaves at the present stage. So the tyes will not be added to my model. However, these yards are tied to the mast to indicate that they can be moved up and down. 

I have completed the shaping of the remaining 10 yards. I did this on my lathe using the tools shown in the photo.

post-221-0-53284700-1413570455_thumb.jpg

The thinnest yards are made from 3 mm dovel and it was quite difficult to shape these as the slightest deflection (even with sandpaper) caused an oval shape. So I finished them off by hand with a file and sandpaper. The yards for the fore mast are now ready to be fitted following a procedure similar to the main yards. The remaining 5 are waiting for paint.

This photo shows the three first yards attached to the main mast. *** you may be able to see the new rings looks less bulky compared to the styrene strips. Still have to do the lifts and all the other string work.

post-221-0-93792300-1413570672_thumb.jpg

/Lars Peter

• 2 months later...

Hi Everyone,

Time for a short update. I have almost finished installing the yards - only 3 to go. Here's an overall view.

post-221-0-08603500-1419702353_thumb.jpg

I have also slowly begun on the running rigging to get a break from the yard making. Here's a bit from the main mast.

post-221-0-82216600-1419702428_thumb.jpg

And from the fore mast.

post-221-0-48658600-1419702459_thumb.jpg

Started installing the yard lifts starting from the top of the fore mast.

post-221-0-22183600-1419702501_thumb.jpg

And finally a macro shot of some standing rigging from the fore mast with dust and everything (don't know whether I will use macro shots again - they reveal too much  ;) ).

post-221-0-84670400-1419702600_thumb.jpg

/Lars Peter

Hello Lars , excellent work so far. It's beautiful !! Keep up the good work.I would like to wish you merry Xmas and a happy new year. :)

Cheers

Dimitris

Current Build: Amerigo Vespucci -Mantua- 1:100 scale

Completed Build logs: Bluenose II AL 1:75 scale

Gallery: Bluenose II AL 1:75 scale

Future Build: Royal Caroline -Panart- 1:47 scale

• 11 months later...

Well, I realized that it has been almost a year since my last update. However, the shipyard is now open for business again and it is time to finish the rigging of my AV. 

All yards are now in place. Lifts have been done on the fore and main masts. Today, I finished the braces for the fore and main mast yards. This is were I am at the moment. Below is a sorry photo. I only have my phone at the moment but I'll see if I can borrow a better camera and get some better photos without shadows and some more details. The work is pretty straight forward except it is going to be a bit tight to do the braces for the mizzen yards once the main braces are in place. I will be back soon.

An overall shot of the model

post-221-0-15123700-1450371952_thumb.jpg

/Lars Peter

Edited by laps

nice to see you back

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Nice to you see you back in the shipyard. Looks like you're almost done - and looking terrific too.

Thank you Kevin and Grant. 

Still loads of stuff to do: 2½ row boats, boat davits, the outside ladders, an uncountable number of rope coils and probably more - and finally a good cleaning.

But I'm looking forward to finish the rigging, and I have to figure out how protect the model - display case? Don't know - it's going to be big.

/Lars Peter

• 4 years later...

Wauw, 4 years since my last post. But I can tell you that the shipyard is up an running again. I need to finish this model so I can begin on the next one. Guess life came in the way. I will post an couple of photos within the next week or so.

I have fixed the link to my photo album in my first post.

/Lars Peter

Edited by laps