Alert by riverboat - FINISHED - Krick - 1/25th scale

Before I begin this build of Krick's Alert, I'm going to do a little research on this cutter. I ordered

"The Naval Cutter Alert" by Goodwin. It should be here in a couple days then hopefully I can get a better 

look at this fine cutter, meanwhile I've taken a couple pictures of the box and  parts.

This is a German kit, so the instructions are in German, but they do include a sparse English version,

but that's no big deal, If I get stuck, I can always ask Dirk :D . He did this same kit and did an amazing!!

job on it. (as usual )

Anyhow,here's the pictures

post-73-0-65210800-1397436228_thumb.jpg

post-73-0-35887500-1397436235_thumb.jpg

One thing I wish Krick would've done, is to roll the plans instead of folding them.

It's really a bummer when they do that.

post-73-0-62970100-1397436242_thumb.jpg

I noticed that the keel is ever so slightly tweaked, I'm going to set the bulkheads in temporarily

to see if it will pull it in .

post-73-0-05991700-1397436250_thumb.jpg

I have some box wood strip That I had purchased from Jeff when he ran a special, so I 'll

probably use that instead of the supplied stock ( depending on the finish I decide on )

post-73-0-46205400-1397436256_thumb.jpg

post-73-0-26006400-1397436264_thumb.jpg

Here again , more than likely I will up grade the blocks and yardage with Chucks products.

I purchased the sale set as an extra. After seeing it I'm not so sure I like the fabric, it seems a little on the heavy side, I don't know, maybe it's

just me, but that's along way off.  :P  :P    

Frank

Edited by riverboat

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Hi Frank!

Let me be the first to say that I am looking forward to your build - this looks like a really nice kit, and I'm sure you can add lots of interesting details given the scale.  Should be a lot of fun! :)

Edited by Landlubber Mike

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Hey Mike, thanks....... I wanna look thru Goodwin's book to kind've see whats up with this cutter, and yes, I too like the little bigger scale to work with, it' better for these weary eyes.  :rolleyes:

Frank

USRC "ALERT"

Hi Bindy, thanks for stop'n by  :) .......... yes the plans, I  can't figure out why they do that. If I'm not mistaken, I think Model Expo rolls their plans. I just don't like a lot of creases getting in the way !! :angry: This should be an enjoyable build (hopefully!! ) Your launch is looking real sweet!!!

You're a fast learner!!

Frank

USRC "ALERT"

Hi Frank

Keen to see this unfold. Seriously on my list and I like the idea of the large scale. I think you might be mistaken about the Goodwin book though. That is for an English cutter - like Sherbourne etc and Krick's Alert is an American revenue cutter - a completely different thing. I could be wrong!! I'm quite keen to get Goodwin's AOTS where did you find it?

Cheers

Alistair

Current Build - HMS Fly by aliluke - Victory Models - 1/64

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/34180-hms-fly-by-aliluke-victory-models-164/

Previous Build  - Armed Virginia Sloop by Model Shipways

Previous Build - Dutch Whaler by Sergal (hull only, no log)

Goodwin's book will help you out a lot. My advice would be to go through the book first. Then you will have a good idea on how to proceed. The Alert makes into a nice model.

David B

Looks interesting, Frank.  ME has been folding their plans lately as well.  I use a light touch with the Admiral's steam iron and then hang them for a while.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Hi Alistair... I thought Goodwin's book was for this particular revenue cutter, geez I hope so, I'll let you know as soon as I get it. I bought it thru     Amazon , used ($ 60.00 ) supposed to be in excellent shape, I'll find out..... very soon :P The larger scale suits me fine too!!. I'll get back to you on the book.

David B.... thanks for chiming in, Alistair was just asking me if the book was related to the Alert or some other , your input  makes me feel a lot better. :) .... I planned on going thru the book first like you suggested, I'm sure I'll get some pretty helpful ideas.

Augie........  I wasn't sure, I know I have their Pride of Baltimore ( started some time ago and still waiting to be finished ) and the plans with that kit were rolled. I'll ck my iron to see if it's still spiting steam :D .... sounds like a good idea!!

Frank

USRC "ALERT"

Hi Frank

If it is the right book for the Krick Alert I'll be wrong. Please let me know if I am when you get it as I'd be tempted to get both, $60 is a bargain as this AOTS is rare . On my old computer someone sent me a PDF of it but the computer died and it went into the ether.

Cheers

Alistair

Alistair take a look here , is this the book you were thinking of?

Frank

USRC "ALERT"

Yes Frank, that is the one. Pretty sure it is for a completely different ship than the Krick model. Sorry - but still a good book to own. I can only guess that Dirk might confirm this. His Krick Alert log should be good enough to get you somewhere near his skills! Given yours that isn't a big stretch.

I still could be wrong about this!!

Cheers

Alistair

It's great that you're doing this model, Frank, as I don't recall a full log of that having been made on this forum other than the few pictures provided by Dirk. Dirk did post a full range of photos of that build on another site, Part 1 of which you can see at https://plus.google.com/photos/+DirkKarsten/albums/5092241937714554929?banner=pwa&authkey=CMDJmoPsx8ns0wE but again without a written description or discussion of methods/tools. His written log from 2007 is in German and can be found at http://www.modellboard.net/index.php?topic=20915.0.

The Krick Alert has been one of the possibilities for me for my next build, so I look forward to yours with great interest.

As has been mentioned, the Krick model different from the ship in the AOTS book. The Krick Alert is two-masted and defined as an American ship. Peter Goodwin's book is of a single-masted Naval Cutter. The deck layouts and armament are quite different. All the same, Goodwin's book is very interesting and will give lots of good ideas about detail.

Tony

Edited by tkay11

Frank

Completely agree with Tony. The AOTS of Alert is very nice book to have. Not for the same ship but one which will give you lots of details. I'm pretty sure a cutter of some sort or another will be my next build. - Krick's Alert is very tempting  but that is a long way off...I look forward to your progress.

Cheers

Alistair

Hi Frank,

Tony and others above are right, the AOTS book Alert is for an English naval cutter of 1777, rather than your American vessel. I imagine the fact that pilot vessels are referred to as 'cutters' may have misled you. It's an interesting book though.

Kester

Current builds: Sherbourne (Caldercraft) scale – 1/64th;

Statsraad Lehmkuhl (half model) 1/8th" – 1'.

Victory Bow Section (Panart/Mantua) scale – 1/78th  (on hold).

Previous build: Bluenose ll (Billings) scale – 1/100th.

Hi Frank,

I will follow your log with big interest. Although Alert is not on my wishlist for the next years, I am very interested about the quality of the kit. I look for the Gulnara, also a Krick Kit.

I wish you great joy and a good satisfying job on your boat.

Cheerio

Max

:10_1_10:

Next: Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde by Euro Model 1:47

Finished: Half Moon Corel;  HMY Royal Caroline Panart; HMB Endeavour Occre 1:54; Fregatte Berlin, Corel, 1:40

A life without dogs is possible... but worth to live?

Frank, you didn't even wait a single minute to pull something else out. I'm following along for sure!

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

hi there Frank!    looks to be a very nice build!    I'll be following along with great interest!  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Pulling up a seat to watch, Frank.  Should be fun watching you bring her to life!

There are 2 historical US Revenue cutters that this might be - one was built in 1818 - 58 foot keel, 19 foot beam schooner.  Based in my neighborhood when she was in service. 

The second schooner is known but not a lot of details - according to the USCG,

No record has been found concerning the origin of Alert.  Her dimensions are close to those of the Doughty 1815 plans for a 79-ton vessel.  She was first stationed at New York and then removed to Eastport, ME in early 1839.  (She had been one of the cutters sent to Charleston, SC during the Nullification Controversy in 1832-1833).  In 1852 an extravagant repair estimate (over $9,000) led to her sale in Boston, MA around April 1853.

Based on the pivot gun, this is likely the 1818 Alert.  There is some information in Chapelle's The History of American Sailing Ships concerning early revenue cutters.

Have fun!

Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus

Thanks everyone for the words of encouragement.

Alistair...... You're right about the book, I was hoping it was related to the American cutter, but that's OK , It'll be a good resource

and I'm sure I'll get some good ideas that can be applied to the Alert.

Tony.......... Thanks for stopping by. I've always wanted to do this cutter, from way back ( In the 1970's ) I had purchased some Alert plans   

from Luci, I got as far as the frames, then it came to a complete halt. So now I'll try again, and yes you 're right a bout Dirks

work. I'll definetly be looking at his work for inspiration.

Kester....... I realize now, it's the wrong cutter. :unsure: .... Kester I don't think the word cutter threw me off, The word "Alert" threw me off :D

Max.........   the quality of this kit is'nt too bad,considering  it's price. Although I do plan on upgrading the blocks and cordage. I sent you a

pm with alink to Arthur's Gulnara build..... ck it out it's really good.

Dirk.........   If this build comes out 1/25th as good as yours, I'[ll be a happy camper!! :D :D

Patrick...... Seems that way does'nt it. :P ...... Well it's been sitting in the closet for awhile, so I thought I'd better get it out of there

before it really starts to warp. :D 

Popeye...... It's always a pleasure to have you on board..... I'm sure I'll be needing some expert advice down the road , so I'll be honored to

recieve your advice.

Wayne...... Thanks for all the info Wayne and it'll be a pleasure to have you pull up a seat to see where this build is headed :P

Frank

USRC "ALERT"

thanks Sherry for stopping  by, I just hope I can do half as good a job as you're doing !!!

DavidB...... Yeah i was a little disappointed , but I'm sure I'll get  something out of it. ( I hope :P )

Frank

USRC "ALERT"

Ah... found your new build.  I hope there's a chair left. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Plenty left Mark, "WELCOME" aboard !!! :cheers:  ( no popcorn, but plenty of beer!!! )

Frank

USRC "ALERT"

Hi Frank,

Found you !!!!!

Someone turns the sign the other way around so i was searching at the wrong direction....

But I see Mark walking in ,so I follow him !

And what do I read ????

No popcorn ???????

Not possible !

here it comes......

PopCornCart.gif

Enjoy your build and we will follow you with what you are doing !

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

hey.......I smell something......wait a min.. *sniff...sniff* yes...unmistakable....sawdust! did we break ground yet Frank? I wanna see! :) :) :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Sjors...... Glad you found Mark's trail, This build wouldn't have been the same without you, and thanks for the popcorn. Now we have "beer"

and "popcorn"..... Realllll nice!!!

Popeye.... no sawdust yet. I'll start sanding the burn off the frames and keel today, then I'll post some pictures of the keel frame assembly.

This kit shows no bearding on the keel ,I'll have to look in to this first before I do any setting of the frames.

Frank

USRC "ALERT"