Alert by riverboat - FINISHED - Krick - 1/25th scale

Thanks for the Pictures Frank !!!!!!!

You really make my day !!!!! :D  :D  :D

And a great update.

I'm happy that you feel better now and stay better please.......

Sjors

Scoot....... Nice to hear from you.... When you get to your Morgan, will be glad to help you out with messing her up. :D :D

Sjors.........  Glad you liked the pictures... I was hoping you'd be pleased    :) . Hows the Stage coach doing??

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Good news you are feeling better now,sounds like the bug was trying to put some weathering on you.Great job on your boat,nice details the pumps aren't easy are they.The stove pipe is real good.

Current builds: HMS Victory - Caldercraft 1:72

Completed builds: HMB Endeavour - OcCre 1:54   HMS Supply - Caldercraft 1:64. Fishing boats, Bremen,  Palamos.

Hi Ron....... I think that bug aged me more than weathering me.. :P , Yeah the pumps were a little time consuming , They kind of look a little over sized to me, they're as tall as the deck  house, but that's the way they're going to stay. Thanks for looking in Ron.

Frank

USRC "ALERT"

• 3 weeks later...

Up Date time again....... I think I left off showing the water pumps installed, well I uninstalled them. I think that's going to be one of the last items I will install along with the railing posts with the rope. I'm pretty sure they'll be a nusance when the rigging starts if installed now,

Most of the work done up to this time has been on the rest of the deck pc's. I've installed the rear railings, which I had to improvise on,

cleats ,oar locks, channels, and the gun rigging.  The following pictures will show whats been done. Thanks again for looking in!!

Frank

we'll start with the floats.I shaped them out of some basswood so they were pretty easy to form , these will also be attached later .

post-73-0-82114700-1433115995_thumb.jpg

These are Chucks cleats. He made some 12mm for me. They came out real nice , If anyone needs some wood cleats try his out, you wont be dissapointed.

post-73-0-57975100-1433116057_thumb.jpg

This picture shows the start of the rear rails. There was some bending involved  on these and unfortu nately one of them snaped on the end so I could'nt use them The brass was2mm , you'd think they would give you a little longer pc. of brass knowing they might snap with the twisting they need, but no way. The only brass rod I had was 1.5  mm , but it worked out ok. OH yeah!, not only did the brass rod snap, the pc's that the ends set into also got messed up so,  I made a basic pc. to set the ends into.As it turned out I liked the way it looks better than the way itwas supposed to.

post-73-0-26543800-1433116023_thumb.jpg

post-73-0-27592500-1433116076_thumb.jpg

post-73-0-27253100-1433116281_thumb.jpg

I just want to show this picture , because it shows the rear doors on the cabin. I was thinking a bout some figures for this build and I'm thinking this cabin looks small for this scale. A man at about 5'7"

woiuld be approx. 2.6 inches at  1/25th scale. This cabin is just1 inch tall !!! How could this person get thru the Door???? any comments??

post-73-0-99607300-1433116253_thumb.jpg

The following pictures are of the oar lock and channells installed and the rigging of the cannon, also the fore mast eye bolts installed.

post-73-0-28818600-1433116316_thumb.jpg

post-73-0-41774300-1433116202_thumb.jpg

post-73-0-62553300-1433116183_thumb.jpg

post-73-0-48668700-1433116338_thumb.jpg

Thanks again!!!

Frank

USRC "ALERT"

looking very nice Frank......the deck is really coming along!   it's hard to say whether kit manufacturers maintain scale throughout the development of their kits.   ...and of course,  most of us aren't going to sit there with calipers and slide rules,  checking each aspect or structure,  to insure that they are.   I guess if you really wanted to get a person down there.......just tell 'em that they're serving rum  ;)

Edited by popeye the sailor

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Hi Denis....   I think you are absoluetly correct about them maintaining scale, so if I decide to put a crew on, I'll just have to hire some smaller people!! :D

frank

USRC "ALERT"

that's the spirit!!!  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Frank!!!!!!!!!!  It's great to see an update.  Looking really sweet.

As for the doors.. look again at the cabin.  Half of that cabin is below the deck.  There's a handle and sliding panel on the roof where the rails are.  It would be pushed forward and then the doors opened.  A short ladder would lead down to the cabin deck.  Hope that helps.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Looking good Frank.  And Mark is absolutely right.....  that cover slides back and you climb right down.  I had a sailboat that had a 2 foot 'door' just like that.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Ah So!!!!!....... very intersting, Mark and Augie.. I learn something new everyday. :rolleyes:

frank

USRC "ALERT"

Nice work Frank, I like the railings even if they were a pain to do they've come out well and their housings. :)

I have just one comment mate, you need a new cannon, the one you have is rusty. :P

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Hi Frank,

your "Alert" is looking very good, you must be nearly ready for masting / rigging.

Was it your Intention to have that weathered look on the wooden rails, that makes it look so real

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Frank,

Catching up--Impressive work. Nice details. Your weather deck stern railings, and your excellent rotating cannon look great. Getting there!!

Regards,

Michael

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

Tony........ you are too funny!!!...... you have to remember mate, this is 2015, that gun has been around a long time now!! :D :D

Hi Nils.... thanks for looking in....... and yes, it was intentional to weather the railings, I'm pleased that you like the result.  Deck work is pretty much finished. Getting ready for the masting.

Michael.......  Thanks for the comment, next step are the masts!!!.... I'm a little aprehensive about the rigging , there is really no belaying plan to go by. maybe I can find some cutter rigging I can use.

Frank

USRC "ALERT"

Hi DavidB....... Good question...... I'm not that much of a seaman,so could you please tell me the difference between the two.I have Petersson's book on Fore and Aft, but there is nothing there that looks like this one I'm doing. Dirk did this same kit and he did an amazing job. His rigging is just awesome. I don't know where he got his info from, I don't think it was from the plans included .

Frank

USRC "ALERT"

Thanks Lawerence and Edwin for looking in........ I'm really not adding anything to this build that is'nt already on the plans. The only thing lacking with the plans is a decent rigging plan, but I'm sure I'll come up with something.  :wacko: 

frank

USRC "ALERT"

Have a look at the first page of Chuck's cutter Cheerful log.  Might give you some ideas.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/8131-hm-cutter-cheerful-1806-148-scale-by-chuck/?hl=cheerful

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Hey thanks Augie... I ckd it out , looks like a different configuration, when I get the masts set I'll ck with Dirk, The rigging he did on his Alert is just awesome!!! thanks for the lead , it might come in handy.

Frank

USRC "ALERT"

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Frank - good afternoon 

another build i have caught up on - love the weathering  -hope you are fully fit again now - even though that was a few weeks ago

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

time  for an update........ I've been adding blocks and rope to the yards and was starting to get a little frustrated  :( .... I guess most of us know how that goes..... so  i decided to post my whereabouts on my build ........ nothing fancy goin on. just the finishing of the mast tops and yards...... thanks for looking in.....

Mast tops completed

post-73-0-55947100-1438644960_thumb.jpg

yards completed 

post-73-0-24482000-1438645080_thumb.jpg

post-73-0-60555300-1438645115_thumb.jpg

post-73-0-08106300-1438645057_thumb.jpg

post-73-0-16193000-1438645142_thumb.jpg

post-73-0-06292000-1438645171_thumb.jpg

That's it.... Like I said nothing real exciting but it brings yo up to date .. I'll follow up with another update as soon as I finish installing all the blocks to the yards. Thanks again

Frank

Edited by riverboat

USRC "ALERT"

Nice work Frank.  Take your time.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Very nice looking parts for masting and rigging Frank,

trust you will be Setting the masts and stays in the next days...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50