Alert by riverboat - FINISHED - Krick - 1/25th scale

Dirk.... Whatever you want, you want nachos, you got em'..... if there 's anything else you want let me know. I'm soooooo glad

you did this one first, your build will end up being my instructions!! :P

Al D... Yeah, there's plenty of room here, so grab a beer and some popcorn or if you like, nachos!!

Andy.... No you're not late, nothing has been started yet, except conversation :D ..... This looks like to be a pretty nice little kit

hopefully I can do it some justice. Are you back at work ?? Have a good trip.

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Edwin.... You're more than welcome to join in....... and I'll ask Sjors to behave!!........ I just hope he doesn't pull rank!!!  :D :D

USRC "ALERT"

Looks like you are going to be putting on quite a performance.  But after several favorable reviews on your past shows.  This one will be a blockbuster.  If I had the concession for this show I would be making a killing.

David B

David B.... You are kind,waaaaaay too kind!!. I don't know about  "quite a performance", but it will be  a performance.of some kind,

and I'm hoping it'll be a blockbuster instead of a b--- buster!!! :D ,and since you have been so kind, I will give you the concession

rights, excepting the popcorn, that belongs to Sjors. :P :P .

Frank

USRC "ALERT"

<running feet sounds> <door slams> <gasping for air>

Hey! Did someone see Sjors come in here with popcorn?

Oh, hi Frank. I was following Sjors out of idle curiosity, just to see what he'd do next, and thought I saw him head in here. Looks like an interesting build you've got going here. Think I might stay and watch if you don't mind. Mark - pass me a cold beer would you?

Mark.......  glad to have a seat for you. I'm like you ,the bigger the scale the better !! B) These ole eyes ain't what they used to be. This

Krick kit isn't too bad, there's room for upgrade,but all in all not too bad a kit. They do have a couple nice kits . If you're interested

you can look at Dirk's (dubz) Alert, he 's done a super job on it , and then ck out Arthur's (aew ) Gulnara,  another great build.

Thanks for look'n in.

Hi Grant.... You are absolutely right, You did see Sjors, he dropped off a popcorn machine, so pull up a chair and join the group !!

David B......  Pizza and dogs????..... That sounds so good .... I might even stick around here myself. :D :D

Frank

USRC "ALERT"

Question ????.... When they say a ship is 58ft long, are they figuring from bowsprit to stern or just the keel??

The reason I'm asking  is, that there seems to be a discrepancy as to the scale on this kit, not much, but it's there

I think this should be 1/24th not 1/25th. The model measures 29.25 inches from tip of bowsprit to the stern, so at 1/24th 

this seems correct.

The same 58ft @ 1/25th, If I'm not mistaken , should be 27.8 inches (for the model )

Now, if the length is by the keel only, then this kit is way off the mark.Thanks !!!

Frank

USRC "ALERT"

I'm not too sure Frank.....never really gave it much thought. according to Billing's....they measure from the tip of the bow spirit to the stern.

sometimes even this doesn't seem right ;)

Edited by popeye the sailor

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

This confuses me as well.  I consider length overall as bowsprit tip to spanker boom end.  But then there's the length on deck and the mysterious length between perpendiculars.  Length at the waterline adds still more to ponder.  Measure up the plans, do the math and figure out what size case you need and where you're going to display her.

Have we 'officially' decided that this is the 1818 US Alert?

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Thanks "Popeye and Augie"....... I was thinking the same, bowsprit to stern, the plans measure the 29 " so I'm pretty sure they ment

1/24th instead of 1/25th. Any how , I've started setting the bulkheads, so I'll have some pictures shortly

Frank

P.S. Augie.... There is so much up in the air about this ship, I'm considering this the "1818" version. there is really not too much information

regarding this cutter, so I'll just use the plans of the kit and I also have a set of plans I bought years ago from Lusci, so these two together,

along with Dirks Alert, should get me thru !!! :P

Edited by riverboat

USRC "ALERT"

Awesome plans Frank. I look forward to seeing your pictures.

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

Frank,

I think that Augie is right.

The measurement of the ship model is from the end of the  bowsprit till stern......

I have check it with the San Ildefonso.

I wish I didn't......now I know how big she is.....

And the Aggy is bigger !

HELP !!!!!!!!!!!!

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

Edited by Sjors

Hey Sjors, you'd better start looking for a museum. :D :D

USRC "ALERT"

Hi Frank,

Somehow I've missed the beginning of this one mate, hope you still have room for little ole me.

Never thought about the LOA before but I would imagine it's from Bowsprit to Stern, seem logical somehow.

At 58ft she gonna be a big one, hope you have room for her. :D  :D  :D

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

either that Frank......or a Marina :D :D

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Hi Mobbsie....... plenty of room left, no problem mate,If there wasn't any room left, I'd make room for you,I'd even go so far as to throw myself out. :D

I think it's the consensus here that it's from bowsprit  to stern. so be it..... thanks for look'n in Tony

Popeye.........   I don't know about out where you are, but out here all the marinas are filled, so he can't come here :D :D

USRC "ALERT"

Well....... I thought I'd better get a couple pictures posted just to confirm that there is a build going on here. The following pictures are just showing the bulkheads being set, I should be thru either to-nite or tomorrow, then I'll add the filler blocks and some in between bulkhead supports.

The quality of the ply is not very good, so I have to be very careful . The ply that Caldercraft uses is a lot better. So I kind've smile at it all the time so it doesn't get made and break in half :D

post-73-0-20347700-1397862353_thumb.jpg

post-73-0-86567800-1397862358_thumb.jpg

post-73-0-89972700-1397862364_thumb.jpg

post-73-0-08619200-1397862371_thumb.jpg

USRC "ALERT"

Let the fun begin!!!!!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Frank,

Indeed, you can count me in. She looks an interesting little vessel. :)

Kester

Current builds: Sherbourne (Caldercraft) scale – 1/64th;

Statsraad Lehmkuhl (half model) 1/8th" – 1'.

Victory Bow Section (Panart/Mantua) scale – 1/78th  (on hold).

Previous build: Bluenose ll (Billings) scale – 1/100th.

very glad to see you've started......now the fun begins! ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Nice start Frank, looking great.  Should be a really fun model.  Good luck with the plywood :)

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)